80/10/10--I'm doing it!

Replies

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    On what are these value judgements based? Do you have anything credible to substantiate this? The World Health Organization recommends only 3-4% protein.
    This is a complete fabrication. Which is common with vegan dogma.

The W.H.O. recommends a MINIMUM of .75g per kg of lean body-weight for average, moderately-active people. MINIMUM. That being said, the W.H.O. protein recommendations have been challenged repeatedly, and almost every country in the world has a higher suggested minimum.
  • albertabeefy
    Even breast milk is only around 5%; babies are able to chunk out just fine.
    Wow, so wrong it's not funny. Each 100 mL of mature breast milk (i.e., breast milk produced after 21 days of lactation) yields approximately • 70 calories • 7.4 g carbohydrates (primarily lactose) • 4.2 g fat • 1.3 g protein

Do the math: 4.2 x 9 = 37.8 which is 54% of calories from fat... Where DO you get your information, vegan propaganda sites?
    We burn carbohydrates primarily and the body is inefficient at converting fat and protein to glucose.
    People who are not keto-adapted burn glucose primarily, NOT necessarily dietary carbohydrate. And no, the body isn't particularly inefficient at converting fat/protein to glucose at all, it happens all the time, even in high-carb dieters. And those on a low-carb diet are using fatty-acids for cellular respiration and ketones for their brain, not "converting" anything.

In virtually everything you've stated, your information is propaganda, and it's wrong.
    When asked, hardly anyone knows how much is recommended.
    Perhaps when you ask a lay person, or someone that doesn't know how to research. But you don't ask, do you? You just read your propaganda and spout it back at people it seems, with no regard for science or truth.
    While its true we need fat and protein, the amount is much lower than one would expect. Look at lean people all over the world, they do fine at levels below 10% (I'm not talking about starving people either). Reference: The China Study.
    ROFLMAO. "The China Study" is a book - and it's a work of fiction. The actually 'study' done by Cornell conflicts with the book. The book is vegan propaganda, plain and simple, and has been debunked numerous times. You're just to brainwashed to realize it.

No human does "fine at levels below 10%" of dietary fat intake. It completely messes with hormonal functions and prevents absorption of fat-soluble vitamins. Your ideas, once again, are simply animal-activist propaganda.

It's not science, is not supported by any branch of science, is not supported by any research (including the research of T. Colin Campbell) and -if you THINK it is - you should learn to analyze trial/study data properly.
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    You're comparing paleo to raw veganism?

In terms of having a flimsy foundation on junk science, yes.

Why do you think that? I'm really just asking. Unless you are a strict raw meat eating paleo-goer (which would compare in my eyes to extreme raw foodism) I see nothing wrong with wanting to eat less grains and processed carbohydrates. I think there is enough science to at least back up all of the main, common sense points that a 'paleo diet' represents- that we should be eating 'real' food, and less of the processed junk.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    It is hard, when the norm is abnormally high. Even breast milk is only around 5%; babies are able to chunk out just fine. We burn carbohydrates primarily and the body is inefficient at converting fat and protein to glucose. When asked, hardly anyone knows how much is recommended. While its true we need fat and protein, the amount is much lower than one would expect. Look at lean people all over the world, they do fine at levels below 10% (I'm not talking about starving people either). Reference: The China Study.

The difference between babies and adults is that babies consume a huge amount of calories relative to their body weight, so they end up getting enough grams of protein per pound of body weight eating lower protein food.

Adults eat fewer calories per pound of body weight, and so in order to get enough protein (about 0.8g/kg body weight), you need to get a higher percentage of your calories from protein, around 15% for most people and higher for those on calorie restrictive diets.

The "lean" people eating below 10%, are extremely active and eat a crap ton of calories. American lifestyles are just not active enough to sustain that.

People on raw diets can get enough protein if they eat enough calories, but then it wouldn't be a good diet for weight loss would it?
    Why do you think that? I'm really just asking. Unless you are a strict raw meat eating paleo-goer (which would compare in my eyes to extreme raw foodism) I see nothing wrong with wanting to eat less grains and processed carbohydrates. I think there is enough science to at least back up all of the main, common sense points that a 'paleo diet' represents- that we should be eating 'real' food, and less of the processed junk.

The "main, common sense points" of paleo and raw food diets are the same. The only difference is that raw foodists consider cooking a from of processing (which it technically is).

No, there's nothing wrong with eating fewer grains, legumes and processed carbohydrates. There's also nothing wrong with eating fewer animal products and more raw fruits and vegetables (note that raw foodists also don't eat grains, legumes or processed carbohydrates).

The problem is that there is no evidence that removing those foods from a person's diet will make them healthier. It is very possible to have a healthy and nutritious diet and maintain a healthy weight without cutting out any foods. Both diet philosophies rely on bad interpretations of data and faulty reasoning to substantiate their bogus claims that you have to remove entire types of food from your diet in order to be healthy.
  • holothuroidea
    I appreciate the "debunking" of The China Study, but you've linked to a bunch of highly biased sources (and WAPF, seriously... no) and called it SCIENCE.

No.

You're responding to "vegan" propaganda with "anti-vegan" propaganda. That's not science. That's bull****.

Here's some vegan facts for you:

If people eat fewer animals, there will be less violence towards them.
    People with access to a variety of plant foods year round don't need to eat animals to be healthy.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Sorry guys, I have been a raw vegan for 2 years (except for a brief time last month) and can't imagine ever eating at 80-10-10!!! I am extremely athletic and that just wouldn't work for me at all.
    Also, for those of you making moronic blanket statements that raw veganism leads to malnutrition - take a look at the Williams sisters. I liken that line of thinking to idiots who say that the Paleo diet leads to high cholesterol. No diet is healthy if a person doesn't make healthy choices and follow a balanced approach.
  • albertabeefy
    You're responding to "vegan" propaganda with "anti-vegan" propaganda. That's not science. That's bull****.

People with access to a variety of plant foods year round don't need to eat animals to be healthy.
    No, it's not bull... Every single article I linked to basis their critique on analysis of study data. Period. Calling a thorough analysis "propaganda" without using any scientific rebuttal shows YOUR bias, not the articles, sorry to say.

As for your vegan "facts" ... Facts are supported by science, not by dogma. None of what you said has any basis in the scientific method.
  • albertabeefy
    Sorry guys, I have been a raw vegan for 2 years (except for a brief time last month) and can't imagine ever eating at 80-10-10!!! I am extremely athletic and that just wouldn't work for me at all.
    Also, for those of you making moronic blanket statements that raw veganism leads to malnutrition - take a look at the Williams sisters. I liken that line of thinking to idiots who say that the Paleo diet leads to high cholesterol. No diet is healthy if a person doesn't make healthy choices and follow a balanced approach.
    Bear in mind that raw veganism WITHOUT (at least) supplemental B12 and possibly other supplements depending on the diet, will absolutely lead to malnutrition. Every vegan MD and RD states unequivocally that you MUST supplement B12.

Logically, if you MUST supplement B12, that means the diet is NOT a natural one for humans, BTW.

As for the Williams sisters, only ONE chose veganism. The other regularly eats meat, as she's mentioned in interview... and the first only recently chose raw vegansim and built their physique without it.

Pointing to people that became fit and healthy long before choosing raw veganism is not a good argument in support of it...

Edit: Quick mention - as of 2013 Serena has never adopted veganism, and Venus admits to being what she calls "cheagan" ... meaning she isn't remotely strict about it.
    "If it's on your plate, I might get to cheat. If you're sitting next to me, good luck. You turn your head once and your food might be gone," Williams said, in good spirits after starting her Australian Open campaign Monday with a quick 6-1, 6-0 win over Galina Voskoboeva.

"I think it's pretty well known I'm a cheagan, "the seven-time Grand Slam winner said, laughing.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Bear in mind that raw veganism WITHOUT (at least) supplemental B12 and possibly other supplements depending on the diet, will absolutely lead to malnutrition. Every vegan MD and RD states unequivocally that you MUST supplement B12.

Logically, if you MUST supplement B12, that means the diet is NOT a natural one for humans, BTW.

As for the Williams sisters, only ONE chose veganism. The other regularly eats meat, as she's mentioned in interview... and the first only recently chose raw vegansim and built their physique without it.

Pointing to people that became fit and healthy long before choosing raw veganism is not a good argument in support of it...

I don't suppliement with a B12 pill or another pharmacy suppliement yet I have proper levels of it. I'm not about to show my medical records online though to show the proof. I don't follow a 100% raw vegan (more so around 90%) diet nor is my diet anywhere close to 80/10/10 in macros so I do get some B12 from the rare egg I eat or milk/yogurt I consume. I also regularly consume nutritional yeast which does contain it as well.

Due to my diet choices I pay close attention to my macros, micros and all my vitamins and minerals to ensure I am getting what my body needs.
  • iLoveMyAR15
    iLoveMyAR15 Posts: 122 Member
    wow that's waaaaaaaaaay too many carbs for me. If its working for you then great. Good luck.
  • cacleghorn
    cacleghorn Posts: 61 Member
    Off-topic, but: People who eat virtually no cholesterol still produce 100% of what they need, hahaha.
    Yes, consuming unsaturated, good fats is important. Cholesterol isn't a good dietary fat, even though it can act as a good fat in the body.

Here is a really simple publication confirming that:
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Understanding_Cholesterol.htm
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    All this anti-vegan/pro-vegan, PETA talk is making me hungry for Bambi.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Why do people keep resurrecting this stupid *kitten* thread. Stupid *kitten* thread is stupid...let it die please.
  • holothuroidea

No, it's not bull... Every single article I linked to basis their critique on analysis of study data. Period. Calling a thorough analysis "propaganda" without using any scientific rebuttal shows YOUR bias, not the articles, sorry to say.

As for your vegan "facts" ... Facts are supported by science, not by dogma. None of what you said has any basis in the scientific method.

What passes for science on the internet is absurd, and I think our criteria for rigorous analysis of data are different.

My bias is an anti-BS bias. I do NOT advocate veganism for health reasons, because it would be false to. I know the vegan BS that is out there, I've spent months and months in the vegan community on the internet trying to get people to see sense (it's a fruitless endeavor, by the way).

I'm also well aware of the paleo BS, the WAPF BS, the Atkins BS, the cleanse/detox BS. You know what all of these BS-promoters have in common? They claim "science" is on their side. Science doesn't take sides. Science doesn't DO anything, it's just a tool humans use to answer questions, a tool often misused.

And please go ahead and use "TEH SCIENCE" to show me how eating fewer animals would cause more violence towards them, and why I (and many many many others over the course of many many many years) have not suffered ill health from not eating animals if it's required for health.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    -SMH-
  • holothuroidea

I'm sorry if you find me moronic, but can we talk anyway? :P

There's nothing wrong with eating high-raw like you, what I am saying is dangerous is the promotion of 100% raw veganism and eating 80/10/10 for extended periods of time, which is what the OP seemed to advocate for.

There are paleo diets that are healthful (generally, they are based more in veggies and less in meats/eggs, and include moderate amounts of carbs from root and starchy veggies/fruits) , and it's possible to have a healthful high-raw diet (that include more than 10% calories from protein and supplement with legumes and/or some meat products).

However, it's still dangerous and unnecessary to promote the extremes of these diets. People have this tendency to think that if X food is healthy, eating nothing but X food is the healthiest way to eat, and we've proven time and time again that that is just not true.

I don't have any beef (pun intended) with anyone who chooses a moderate approach.
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    80/10/10 is a raw vegan diet fad...I will just politely say that setting percentages for macros doesn't work and that this diet highly ignores the fact that protein and fat are ESSENTIAL nutrients whereas carbohydrates are non-essential and should be determined based on physical activity.

These type of dieters do ridiculous things like eating nothing but fruit in ridiculous amounts all day and often these people have serious fears (orthorexics) about fat and consumption of animal products as being "toxic"

Consumption of animal products IS toxic. That is the ONLY place Cholesterol is found. And, what is the number one cause of death in the US right now? Heart disease. What causes heart disease, you ask? Cholesterol. :)

SO MUCH WRONG and FALLACY here. I would correct you but dang...

This made me laugh, and I'm right there with you.
  • albertabeefy
    Science doesn't take sides. Science doesn't DO anything, it's just a tool humans use to answer questions, a tool often misused.
    The 'tool' of science, however, does not now and never has supported veganism. That's what I'm saying. Never. Ever. Not clinical trials and not epidemiological studies.
    And please go ahead and use "TEH SCIENCE" to show me how eating fewer animals would cause more violence towards them...
    Um what? I'm not making the claim, regarding eating animals and violence, you are. Please prove YOUR "vegan fact" lol.
    ... and why I (and many many many others over the course of many many many years) have not suffered ill health from not eating animals if it's required for health.
    First, i never said that "not eating animals" is required for health, did I? However those that eat no animal products for any length of time do need an external source of B12.

I've presented several articles based in the studies, and the science, you've presented an "anti-BS" arguments, which is completely nonsensical. If you dispute the science or anything I've said, please show me logically and/or scientifically - with sources/facts to back it up - where I'm wrong.

Although from your posts so far I'm quite certain you do not have the ability to do so.
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    "Not really. Most of us are just compassionate people who advocate for nonviolence. People who are doing plant-based diets or advocate for it for (misguided) health reasons seriously need to stop hijacking the word "vegan.""

I can completely see vegetarians as compassionate and nonviolent but I don't understand vegan. One thing that has always bothered me is eggs, what does it hurt to eat eggs? Hens lay eggs, they always will, the ones shipped to stores are unfertilized, which is just part of the hen's natural life cycle... how does it hurt any animal to eat them?