Diet Soda

Options
13»

Replies

• KC5ZRQ
    KC5ZRQ Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I drink Diet Sodas every single day. It doesn't affect weight loss. You don't gain weight because of diet soda. It has zero calories.
  • Lainn
    Lainn Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    There's no evidence whatsoever that diet soda is unhealthy to drink. The only thing to watch out for at all is the sodium content.... any "studies" that claim ill effects by aspartame have been blown out of the water when peer reviewed. Its a bunch of scare mongering that keeps re-propagating itself through public consciousness without any basis in fact.

How many of the words on the can can you pronounce? The flavorings and artificial sweeteners are made in a lab. That should be enough evidence.
    ^^ THIS! The drink is chemically altered to be diet. That in of itself should be enough.
  • KC5ZRQ
    Options
    I drink diet sodas everyday. I don't get headaches. Lots of things can cause a headache.
  • agarrettlmu
    Options
    For the critics of eastern medicine out there pls take this with a grain of salt. I recently sought the help of a Eastern Medicine Theraputic Nutritionist for chronic tonsilitis and migranes. I refused to think that surgery was the only option for dealing with my pain. The first thing she did was take me completely off all artificial sweetners (aspertame included). Before seeing her I'd have 2 diet cokes per day, and had migranes since college. I was skeptical it would make any difference. After going through the caffeine withdrawls for a few days, I've been completely headache free ever since.

No matter what the science says, my body tells me that they are toxic. Therefor, they have NO place in my diet.
  • KC5ZRQ
    Options
    I drink 2 or 3 24oz. bottles of diet Pepsi everyday and have for years and lost alitte weight while drinking it... :-)
    YES!
  • Lainn
    Lainn Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I drink diet sodas everyday. I don't get headaches. Lots of things can cause a headache.
    Just because it doesn't contain calories doesn't mean it won't cause a slow weight loss. The caffeine, carbonation, and sodium all contribute to water retention and other factors that can hinder weight loss.

And people are telling about their personal experiences with being addicted to it and when coming off it they experience headaches. This would happen with other things as well, but most commonly addiction headaches are associated with caffeine. So just because you feel that YOU personally are not experiencing any of this doesn't mean you can negate what others ARE experiencing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    This is what got me to quit.

I was reading a book about how all the diet soda (and regular) are is a bunch of harmful and cancer causing chemicals in a bottle. Every time I look at a can of it I think of it as the same as drinking poison and chemicals (which is basically true). That makes it unappealing to me and I walk away! If I am really tempted, I read the ingredients... all those words that make no sense make me put it down.
    You have then been swayed by false evidence. Reading opinions and not comparing them with actual peer reviewed clinical studies is jumping the gun.
    You are relating information that correlates but may in fact be the actual cause. So which chemicals are you speaking of, what's a lethal dose and how many diet sodas to you have to drink to equal that amount?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Even if people lose weight while drinking it doesn't mean they are being healthy.
    Same could be said for people who lose weight eating healthy and don't exercise. Health is more than just eating or consuming "healthy" food.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

How many of the words on the can can you pronounce? The flavorings and artificial sweeteners are made in a lab. That should be enough evidence.
    So is toothpaste. Is that enough evidence to stop using it for dental hygiene? Burden of proof is now on you to show that diet soda is as bad for weight loss and health as you claim.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    The sodium content on my can of diet pepsi is 25 mg which is minimal. Why do so many people think it has too much sodium, I see this often stated
    Because for some reason people think sodium is evil, when it's not the case. Go to Asia and see how much sodium they use in all their cooking.

IDEA Fitness member
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40 lbs while acquiring a new diet cola habit. Before the diet, I only drank it on weekends. Since I started the diet, it's been every day. I doubt it's healthy, but I really don't think it has adversely affected my weight loss. It's a sweet treat when I want it, without the calories - and no, it doesn't make me hungrier later.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    There's no evidence whatsoever that diet soda is unhealthy to drink. The only thing to watch out for at all is the sodium content.... any "studies" that claim ill effects by aspartame have been blown out of the water when peer reviewed. Its a bunch of scare mongering that keeps re-propagating itself through public consciousness without any basis in fact.

really?
    who agrees with this? NOT ME
    people are talking about having headaches and migraines, etc u think?
    You don't have to agree with it, but peer reviewed clinical studies have refuted much of what anti aspartame proponents have stated about it. Correlation isn't causation.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I drink several non-caffeine, low-sodium diet sodas a week and I still made it to my goal early and have been on maintenance now for 7 months. I know it's not good for me, but it's better than sugar sodas...
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    For me, drinking a diet coke was a few glasses of water I wasn't drinking. Plus the diet cokes were making me pee like racehorse.
  • chicklidell
    Options
    I found it amazing that this topic went from can I lose weight while still drinking diet soda...to...a debate on if it's healthy or not...of course it isn't "healthy. Neither is half the crap people put in their bodies. If anyone has ever read D.r Dukans diet book, even he allows you diet soda...the amount of aspartame in one single can is insignificant. It's really nobody's business what you put in your body, if it's working for you and you're losing weight, and you feel good at the end of the day about your decision, then run with it my friend, and let people talk, because some people aren't happy until they've shoved their opinion down your throat and you simply agree.