Weight Watchers... yes or no?

Options
I did weight watchers once and lost over 45lbs in three months. . . I'm considering doing it again, but I need some help deciding!

HELP! D:

Replies

• mealybug1010
    Options
    Yes! Best program EVER!
  • karabatak
    Options
    I think if it was that effective for you in the past then why not?! :)
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I think you answered your own question! It obviously works for you...go for it!!!! Good luck! :)
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

There's a little tiny bit of info on WW in this article that turned me off WW - but you may get something from it differently.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I got a rough run down of how WW works once from a friend. She kind of ignored my question though when asked why if WW bases the points on how many calories a food has do you not just count the calories ? I was asking becasue she said she wanted to join again but did not have the money. Not trying to put it down I am honestly just curious if there is something I am missing.
  • benodie
    benodie Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    personally I HATE the new 'pro points' system :noway: . . the old way was brilliant. I do still go to the meetings now, because I need the discipline of being weighed by someone else, but I dont follow the diet anymore . . .I just count calories on here, and its working!!

Everyone is different though and if you've done it before then go for it!

good luck :smile:
  • Chast373
    Options
    I currently attend Scottish Slimmers and I find that the only real benefit is being weighed in the class. I don't really follow the plan as such, but it is handy for recipe ideas and information about how many calories foods contain. The pressure of knowing you will be weighed each week is usually enough to be sensible. I prefer using MFP to calculate my calorie intake, logging food and exercise and keeping track of weight loss.
    It is all about what works for you.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I was on weight watcher and lost 28 pounds. That was mostly with the old points system. The new points did not seem to work as well for me and the cost was eventually not worth it.

In some way the points are easier to keep track but harder to figure out. I had to keep a special caluator in purse to figure points.

I think it can help balance what you eat and it def encorages fruits and veggies (many are no points). However it really did not seem to encourage exercise enough.

With the MFP phone app and the support from other people here, I think MFP is better overall. Calories are easy to count and exercise directly effects each days calories. And challenges here are keeping me active. This site does work and I like the cost ;)
  • tinastanley
    tinastanley Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am presently in WW with my last meeting being on Thurs. The only reason I joined WW is because my work paid for all but
    $ 50.00 of it. I've been a member of MFP since June. I lost more weight using MFP then I did with WW. I prefer and will continue to use MFP instead of WW. MFP is free and in my opinion works better for me. Again, for me it's just a personal choice that I prefer MFP over WW. Good Luck on your journey whichever method you decide to choose.

:smile:
  • lappelget
    lappelget Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I lost 100lbs on the old program about 5 years ago. Have managed to keep most of it off (sneaky 20lbs has climbed back on) - I went back to weight watchers to try the new program and it didn't make much sense to me (couldn't wrap my mind around not having to count fruit - I mean there's just so much sugar in fruit). I will say it's a great place to go for motivation. My suggestion would be to do the program on your own and log your information in to a spreadsheet or something and save your money.
  • gail4721
    gail4721 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    WW does work if you follow it as does any plan. Right now it is FREE to join.Good if you need a kickstart. I just completed the 17 week program and it gave me motivation and awareness so I didnt overindulge during the holidays. The weekly weigh in does help me stay on track.

I am not too keen on the newest program because it isn't as strict as in the past and REALLY gives you options! You can even choose to use the older programs if that's what works for you. If you feel hungry you can adjust your points up by 3 for the week. If you feel you have eaten too much you can decrease your points by 3. That definitely gives me too much to play with ...I need to be disciplined.

i know the program has worked for me before and the recipes are really good. It can't hurt to give it a try...they do have a weekly payment plan if you dont want to committ. There is the 17 week plan and then I believe there is a monthly payment plan. if you get the Monthly plan you get access to ETOOLS which everyone raves about because it has menus and chats with other memembers. You really have to go for at least three weeks though, now because the new program has three specific Power Start Trackers...one is green for creating spaces that will help u succeed replacing foods you are eating with healthier choices. ( you cant eat it if you dont have it)...one is blue...PLAN to succeed...you map out a plan to succeed...and the third is orange...It's CHOICE not chance that determines your destiny.

If it worked before it will work again...the program has IMPROVED once again and has many more FILLING FOODS so you arent as hungry .Good Luck with your decision.
  • mlmcquinn
    Options
    I have 2 questions for you: 1) Why did you stop going before? and 2) If it worked before, why are you wavering this time?

Personally, I am too cheap to pay someone for what I can do for free. I use the internet and local friends for support and I am honest with myself about my scale at home. I think learning to check labels for nutritional info seems WAY easier than using a system of calculated numbers that has you doing extra math in the grocery store and everywhere. However, I know some people feel they need more structure.

Good luck!
  • mcanals123
    Options
    like u i too did ww about 5 years ago and lost over 50 lbs (which i gained all back during pregnancy). I have decided that i need the emotional support and joined ww last night and today is my first day on this new point plus program. I have a total of 29 points a day and so far im doing pretty good but like others have said on this blog i really dont agreed with the whole not counting ur fruits and stuff i personally think i will continue to count fruits and just make up for their points by going to the gym.

Also with this new program the points are no longer based on the calories like they basically were with the old one now you only calculate fat, carbs, protein and fiber.

One thing i really didnt like is that in order for you to be able to calculate the points for a food that isnt in their book u would need to buy their calculator which is $12 where with the old program u had the tracker that would tell u the points and it was included in the price of the program.

I think that honestly if iut worked before it most likely will work again so i say go for it!!!
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You just joined here...why not give MFP a chance first?? It's amazing and it's FREE! I was a weight watcher for 30+ years and then found MFP. I did both for a while, but found that MFP worked better for me, and it was FREE which was a huge plus. I used the money I saved when I quit WW to get a BodyMedia Fit armband ($130 on ebay) to accurately track my calorie burn ($4.99/mo for data after 6 mos free). I LOVE it & it's something I can do forever (& will) !!! Between MFP and my great supportive friends on here & my armband, I have all the tools I need to be successful. I will never go back to WW and pay again. Just my 2 cents....
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    WW does work if you follow it as does any plan. Right now it is FREE to join.

There is no registration fee but it's not free. It's still $56.85 for 3 months for online only....meetings are more.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Years ago, I had really good luck losing 20 lbs with WW. However, last year, using their points plus system, I didn't have any luck at all. I have heard from multiple people that points plus doesn't work nearly as well for people with less to lose (I only wanted to lose 12 pounds). I cancelled my WW membership and came to MFP and am doing much better - for free.
  • elg1982
    elg1982 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've done weight watchers but had had hard time getting to my goal weight and could not maintain my loss of about 30 pounds. I was hungry all the time. After reading about BMR and how using body fat percentage is a better measure of health/way to set a weight loss goal than BMI I would not go back. On WW you get too few calories to feel satisfied, and BMI is not a good way to set a goal for me.
  • Kev383601
    Options
    A lot of people on here have past experience in WW. I am no different. I've done both the online and the actual meetings. Both had their advantages, and both worked for me, FOR A SHORT TIME. This last time I went to actual meetings, I lost as much as 8 pounds, but after 12 weeks, I only had a net loss of 5 pounds using their program. I became VERY frustrated and seeked other options, and I found MFP!!! I love this site, and after only 3 weeks (exactly!), I've lost more weight than I did in 12 weeks in WW.

For me, this makes more sense. It's free, and seems to work better. Weight Watchers just up'd their price for the meetings to $42.95/month, and I don't think it's worth it. I find MFP to be more motivating, and it forces me to work out, which I love. WW seems to think that if you track your points, stay within you limit, and work out in addition that you'll lose weight too fast. It almost seemed to me that they discouraged working out because it made the plan unhealthy.

It's up to you, and if it worked before, I say give it another shot! But ultimately you have to ask yourself if it is worth $43/month.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I think if you are on here, there's no benefit to WW. It's all about counting your calories and learning about how much to eat.
  • rebysue
    rebysue Posts: 136
    Options
    I don't know how long ago you were on WW but I've heard the new program doesn't work anywhere near as well as the old program did. I did WW on the old program but have since switched to MFP and have totally LOVED it!