Replies

• polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    YES...I lost 70!!!
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Great program! I did it many mnay years back. I think it is a good starting point. It teaches you calories and portions. I learned much from that starting out years back. Also motivated me at that time to weigh in. Now in my later 40's I know I am accountable to myself and dont want to pay for the program.

I also only do things at this point of my life, I can live . points, meetings I cannot commit. counting calories and being active I can.
    Good luck to you:-)
  • carrief_ufl
    Options
    I love love love WW PP! When I see that each food has a specific number it guides me to the right choices. I have found so many new recipes and I don't feel deprived of anything sine nothing is off limits if eaten within reason!
  • zynx1234
    zynx1234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I did WW or about a year in 2010-2011. And it was really helpful to learn about how to and what to eat. I didn't have the food or nurtition knowledge before WW. I stopped because I had got to a point where I wasn't really learning anything anymore ( and I didn't like the points plus). I lost a total of 40 lbs and after a year gained 12 back. This was largely a result of NOT tracking my points/calorie intake. So if you have the food and nutrition knowledge but don't want to spend t he money this site should be find (counting your calories/points is what makes the WW program successful). If you need the support and have the money then go for it.

Also I felt like it was way more gimmick towards the end. They were always selling something and the whole change for the point to the points+ system was aimed at selling me a new scale, new cook books, etc., I am new the the MFP site but feel like it has the same versalitity and accountablity as WW online and the whole point tracking idea but now I save my 40 bucks a month.
  • LosingItInDenver
    Options
    I got a rough run down of how WW works once from a friend. She kind of ignored my question though when asked why if WW bases the points on how many calories a food has do you not just count the calories ? I was asking becasue she said she wanted to join again but did not have the money. Not trying to put it down I am honestly just curious if there is something I am missing.

They not only consider calories, but there is a huge emphasis on fiber intake - which can somewhat reduce the amount of points in a particular food. I am pulling numbers out of thin air here, but if there's a food that's 200 calories with 1 gram of fiber, it might be 4 points. Same food with 5 grams of fiber might be 2 points. A search online might give you the 'secret' to points calculations.

That said, I did the old plan and it was great for me - I lost 37 lbs and felt wonderful. I tried the new Points+ plan a few months back and really did not like it nearly as much as I liked the old plan, so I'm hesitant to return to WW. If you do it, get the monthly pass, see how you like the changes to the plan, and if it's not for you, move on.
  • vxjammiedodgerxv
    vxjammiedodgerxv Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It's all about what works for you. Personally, I think this site is amazing! It's free, easy to use and you have 24 hr advice and help from other members if you need it. I would say the ONLY advantage WW has, is the pressure of a weigh-in infront of other people. But if you are honest with yourself on here and see the progress others are making, I think that's motivation enough...well it is for me lol.
    Good luck :) x
  • Osu2k1
    Osu2k1 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    personally I HATE the new 'pro points' system :noway: . . the old way was brilliant. I do still go to the meetings now, because I need the discipline of being weighed by someone else, but I dont follow the diet anymore . . .I just count calories on here, and its working!!

Everyone is different though and if you've done it before then go for it!

good luck :smile:

I don't mind the Points Plus system, but I was eating much more calories when I followed it. So I count calories here and go to WW meetings for support, accountability and weigh in. I love it. I have been going for 1 year this week, not missing a meeting, and will be continuing for a long time. :smile:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Save your money and give MFP a fair chance. When I got on here, I was considering joining WW (because it IS a good program and did work for me in the past), but I found out I didn't need it after all. This site provides so much support and motivation for free....
  • Jayne444
    Options
    personally I HATE the new 'pro points' system :noway: . . the old way was brilliant. I do still go to the meetings now, because I need the discipline of being weighed by someone else, but I dont follow the diet anymore . . .I just count calories on here, and its working!!

Everyone is different though and if you've done it before then go for it!

good luck :smile:

Me to , Ive been a ww member on and off for years, i cannot get my head into this new pro points plan, so like you i need the dicipline of getting weighed and i like the group sesions but i am now going to count calories on here and just use my class for the weighins, Only joined yesterday, so i had my first weigh in today at my class, so here goes hope its going to work for me, i like the look of my fp. Jayne x
  • clh372
    clh372 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    great program!
  • Horskrzy
    Horskrzy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for accountability and encouragement at weigh-ins, try looking up a local TOPS chapter (Take Off Pound Sensibly). Membership dues are quite low and if used with MFP you'll get all of the "features" of WW (tracking, goal setting, etc.) with virtually no cost and a great support system!
  • janettemg06
    Options
    I have tried WW online, tracked everything, stayed within daily allowance, didn't use weekly allowance, exercised 5 of 7 days, but it did not work for me. The meetings did previously, I lost 21 lbs fairly steadily back then. The online database for food pointing is rubbish, and difficult to follow.The online calculator mostly comes up with 0, I found I was having to guess a lot of stuff - probably why it didn't work! In the time I have been with it, they have changed the weekly allowance of points downwards, which is very confusing. It is also expensive. My daughter put me onto this site, I have only just started, but already it is easier to follow, and has an excellent database - so I have high hopes! Good luck with whatever method you choose!
  • shoeloveramber
    shoeloveramber Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I have done WW in the past - several times. When I was on plan it worked for me but it was hard to stay on plan because everywhere you went you had to figure points out. They changed to this new program and now you can not even logically "guesstimate" points like you could before. The old program you could guesstimate a point for every 50 calories as long as it did not contain a ton of fat or fiber.

Last January I started doing my own thing to lose weight, just eating better and moving more. I was not thrilled with how slow I was losing weight so I gave WW another shot and found that I lost weight just as fast on my own without paying for the program so after about 6 months I said forget it and quit. I just found MFP and I think this will work even better than WW and it's FREE!!!!
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    I did WW way back when they had the Flex Plan and lost 33 lbs in 3 months. I've been back off and on for the past several years, most recently last summer with the new Points Plus/free fruit plan. I couldn't get with it--for years they had been telling me to eat more veggies than fruit because of the sugar and points, but now 'hey, fruits are free'!

I tried it for a few months and lost and gained the same 10lbs over and over. The last few weeks of WW, I tracked my calories on here too, and surprise, the calories come really close to what my point values were. It's way cheaper too!
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    BUMP
  • Zaza77
    Zaza77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt reccomed it. There 'point' system is all different now, and they just changed it again before Christmas, I was on 29 points a day and that dropped to 26 (so did everyone elses), they lost all credibility with me. Fruit is unlimited and free points. I am still a member with WW on line and doing MFP at same time (until membership finishes). MFP is much better for keeping track of calories consummed, the website here is far superior. To keep track of yourself this is free and fabulous !