Anyone NOT belong to a gym?

Options
I don't belong to a gym, for many reasons. I used to when I was single. But now married, with two small children, and working full time (40-50 hours a week) plus a 30 min each way commute, I just don't want to spend any more time out of the house.

I have an elliptical machine so I use that every morning.

Who else works out at home? What exercises do you do? Do you use videos? I'd love some ideas so I can change it up a bit.

Replies

• CiciPorcayo
    CiciPorcayo Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am married. working full time with two babies & I don't hit the gym mainly because I dont want to be hit on my nasty sweaty guys & two because I like working in the comfort of my own home... sometimes idk to me the gym is a single thing unless u have one at your apartments or ur own personal gym u know but thats just me!
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    zumba zumba zumba. zumba 2 for the wii is awesome. you get your time and calories counted, plus they have single songs. potty training the little one and while hes doing his thing, im out there burning some calories.
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    No gym here.

I would never keep up with my program if I had to travel somewhere to do it.

We started with P90, running and now P90X videos.
  • sheshe32
    sheshe32 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    LOL its a gym not a pick up joint, Ive been married almost 11 years LOL :-0) I joined, go 3 times a week. Would prefer to have an elliptical trainer at home but cant afford the out lay. I suppose some free weights would be good, dvd for workout?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I train at home! no need for a gym!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Double post just because...you know...
  • cjhamh
    cjhamh Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. I do LOTS of dvds. Right now I'm doing a variety of Jillian Michaels. Very good workouts in a short amount of time (20-40 min). This is perfect for me since I'm a stay at home mom with two babies (almost 3 and almost 1 year old) and going to school full-time for my MBA. I also do Tae-boe and have a treadmill. I like working out at home...I tend to do better because no one is watching me.
  • jena81
    jena81 Posts: 2
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym because i get enough exercise cleaning my own house, walking the family dog (Rottweiler) and playing with the kids outside at parks in summer and in snow in winter (MN). Walking the MOA in cold months on weekends with a friend and walking up and down escalators instead of just standing. Xbox kinect games with the kids actually gives you quite a workout - playing fruit ninja for a weekend really made my arms hurt (in a good way). good luck! All that money you save - you can splurge on fresh fruit and a smoothie in lieu of coffee in the morning.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I belonged to a gym when I was younger, a lot younger.
    I am also a housewife & as soon as my foot heals (from surgery in June) I will be back to using my elliptical, my home gym, bike riding, the Wii Fit & Wii Fit plus, Leslie Sansone WALK video & taking advantage of the beautiful area around me to get outside & walk.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I belonged to a gym when I was younger, a lot younger.
    I am also a housewife & as soon as my foot heals (from surgery in June) I will be back to using my elliptical, my home gym, bike riding, the Wii Fit & Wii Fit plus, Leslie Sansone WALK video & taking advantage of the beautiful area around me to get outside & walk.
  • MrUgly
    MrUgly Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym. I do the C25k and I have free weights that I will start using. I stopped paying for the membership because I wasn't going. I wasn't going because I was self-conscious about my weight. I was self-conscious about my weight because I wasn't exercising and eating too much garbage.

Yeah.

So now I am still self-conscious, but I run early in the morning (when it isn't ridiculously cold) and watch what I eat.
  • schalka
    schalka Posts: 57
    Options
    I dont belong to a gym anymore just because i dont have time anymore. I work 45+hrs a week, commute, 2 toddlers, etc... I use the xbox kinect and some different fitness games they game. I like the zumba and boxing. They also have biggest loser and some other fitness or dance ones. Its fun and i also burn some calories with my kids
  • schalka
    schalka Posts: 57
    Options
    I dont belong to a gym anymore just because i dont have time anymore. I work 45+hrs a week, commute, 2 toddlers, etc... I use the xbox kinect and some different fitness games they game. I like the zumba and boxing. They also have biggest loser and some other fitness or dance ones. Its fun and i also burn some calories with my kids
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    no gym for me. I don't do as much working out as I should, but have lots of options. I have a nice, quiet, safe road with level places and hilly places, perfect for walking. A large hilly pasture to walk around in, animals to care for (hay to move, poop to scoop, fences to build), and a stationary bike. Exercise in "real life" works better for me than a special effort to make time for and get to a gym... and I can fit it in whenever I have a few minutes. Know gym's are ideal for some, but not my idea of fun or necessary.
  • nukehiker
    nukehiker Posts: 457
    Options
    no gym membership here, i travel alot for work and can be gone for up to 3 months at a time so no sense throwing good money away...lol on a positive note I have done P90X and currently 2 weeks from completing Insanity. both are great especially if you have to travel !
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    i have a treadmill, elliptical, body ball and some weights right at the house. Found most of it on craigslist for WAY CHEAP!

I also use wii fit, wii zumba fitness and Jillian Michael's 30 day shred.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Over 10,000 miles of cycling last year - who needs a gym!
  • foxygirlact
    foxygirlact Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't use a gym. I have a treadmill at home so I use that for cardio as well as exercise DVDs and I use hand weights.
  • nukehiker
    nukehiker Posts: 457
    Options
    no gym membership here, i travel alot for work and can be gone for up to 3 months at a time so no sense throwing good money away...lol on a positive note I have done P90X and currently 2 weeks from completing Insanity. both are great especially if you have to travel !
  • _xoxok
    _xoxok Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I belong to a gym, but I've realized that I enjoy working out at home much more. I love to do different workout videos... Zumba, Jillian Michaels, Yoga, ect. Switching it up will keep you interested & having fun! You can also find cheap weights to use at home too. No gym membership needed. :smile: