Anyone NOT belong to a gym?

Options

Replies

• Lusadi
    Lusadi Posts: 79
    Options
    There are tons of things you can do at home. Jump rope, basic calisthenics (think Army type training), Netflix streams a bunch of fitness dvd's now on their instants, free weights (I like the toddler bicep curl and so does my little gal! They work great for chest presses and tricep curls too. Just don't drop them.)
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I do strength training with some free weights, kettlebells, Total Gym, walk, Wii Fit & Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. Sometimes a yoga DVD thrown into the mix.

I might buy Just Dance 3 for Wii... it has really good reviews. Seems like it would be a fun workout.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I have a little bitty house so I created a workout space in my garage. I have foam tiles on the floor and my sweet husband built me a pull up bar. I also have a small TV and DVD player along with a barbell, dumbbells and a bunch of weights. I have resistance bands, a stability ball, a firm foam roller, a yoga block and until it died this week I had a treadmill. All in a pretty compact area! Some of the videos I have are Walk Away the Pounds (several different ones that I used when I first started. They don't challenge me nowadays but I either amp it up by jogging while they march or using heavier weights for those exercises. Usually though I just use those for days I need something a little less intense like when recovering from being sick or something.) I also have P90X and TurboFire, a couple of older Taebo's and a resistance band workout that came with my bands. I like to go to the library and check out different workouts a lot though. Keeps me from spending a fortune or getting bored and if I find one I really like I know I can always buy it.
  • stormystrickland
    stormystrickland Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't work out at the gym because I don't really know how to use the equipment, but now that I'm talking to a guy that is a trainer, I will probably go to the gym more. lol

Anyways, I love to do dance dvd's because I don't feel like I'm working out. I do Zumba exhilarate, *****cat dolls workout, dancing with the stars, and I also just started jillian michael's 30 day shred.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I HATE gyms....I work out at home. Either I walk outside or I do DVD's
  • Joisgettingfit
    Joisgettingfit Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym either, i used to but when it went up I couldn't afford it anymore.
    I just dance around like a crazy woman for an hour (sometimes on the wii, sometimes not) go on my ski machine, I've bought an exercise bike and hopefully it'll arrive soon so I'm going to use that.
    Sometimes I use workout dvds but I tend to get bored doing the same workout, I prefer going on machines because I can distract myself with music or the telly. So while it may be the same thing, i'm not watching the same person tell me what to do over and over again.
    I'll probably get a cheap cross trainer when i move house as well.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I don't. My home workout room includes various kettlebells with Art of Strength kettlebell DVDs, a set of dumbbells, an old cheap weight bench with weights, an assisted pull-up/dip machine, an elliptical machine, and a Concept 2 rower. When I can get out of the house to work out I either trail run at a nearby mountain park or go for a bike ride. I also have a hot tub and wine rack for post-workout recovery. ;)
    The only thing I miss about my old gym is the squash court and the wet sauna.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    ME no gym here never have done all at home gal!
    between walking,dvd libary at home now :),,the wii,crosstrainer,exersice bike and normal bike i think i'm set
    oh and not forgetting my p90x :)
    oh yeh and my weights lol
  • EmmaShorter
    Options
    I don't do gyms they are so boring! They are also expensive! Also there is the commuting time! I go to a zumba class weekly. I did do a body pump class weekly for a while that I need to start up again. I also do a combo of dvd's and wii games. Loving zumba 2 atm.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I am alone a lot so I built a gym in my basement and I like to work out taking my time in peace with my own tunes. No crowds, no extra gas, and no gym fees. Its taken me a few years but now I have every thing in the comfort of my own home... Well almost every thing lol.
  • miss_saraa
    miss_saraa Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I HATE the gym, I find it boring and a waste of money lol. I have been doing workout DVDs for the past 2 months and I'm loving it. I've done Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and lost 8 pounds and I'm doing Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 and am almost done. So far I have lost 7 pounds from this DVD and next I'll be doing Jillian Michaels Extreme Shed and Shred after. The one thing I love is how you can just rotate between 6 or 7 DVDs and not be bored. This way you spend anywhere from 5-10$ on a DVD and have em for life.

**Bonus thing about Jillians workouts are that it's 20 mins only... so it's perfect when you are short on time**
  • BritFitB
    BritFitB Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Not married, no kids, and choose to work out at home. It keeps me more accountable and am more comfortable in my own surroundings with my weights, and all my own equipment.
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill, bench and weights at home. But my No 1 exercise is walking and jogging outdoors.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym either, also married w/ two kids and a full time job. I run outside and I own a set of free weights. I also have a treadmill for the times running outside is not feasible. I do circuit training either with my weights or with body weight (push ups, burpees, etc). I research online and find "routines" to do with my equipment. I do a lot of HIIT. I like Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and last chance workout videos for a once in a while thing.
  • Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I dont go to the gym. I had a home gym, but never used it, sold it and a year later I wish I still had it! I do dvds and use my dumbbells, plus do a lot of walking. Im about to buy a full set of dumbbells and a barbell to get more into the strength side. rather invest in my own equipment than pay to go somewhere else.
  • psmith64
    psmith64 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership as well as exercise at home and outside.

I find cardio exercise outside the gym fairly easy as I like power walking and cycling.

But for strength training I find the variety of free weights and machines unmatchable to what I could do at home.

I also like the facilities of the inclusive spin classes in my gym membership, along with the leisure facilities of steam room, sauna and spa bath, which is nice to relax in after a workout.

But I do agree with a lot of people, that you do not need a gym membership to exercise as long as you have a pair of arms and legs, along with some free weights of somesort at home if you want to improve your strength and body tone. I also find you can have a good workout at home with the Wii, we have just bought the Zumba disc so looking forward to trying that out.

Regards

Paul
  • kvreeken
    kvreeken Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I still running and walking the dog outside. It is a balmy 14*F here in Michigan this am. I''m hitting the road. Exercising outside is always best for your health in my opinion.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    The Gym is too expensive and too time-consuming for me - I have to fit my exercise into my existing schedule, which means walking everywhere I can, and always at least half-an-hour of my commute home. I also have a small free weight for my arms and try to do some sit ups and a few minutes of yoga most mornings.
  • danibee79
    danibee79 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I used to belong to the gym for 5 years. Went 5/6 times a week. Loved the classes and social side made some great friends. But when I cancelled I weighed only 7lb less than when I started and for what it cost me I could have got lipo! Lol. I got into a fab routine at home (which I'm trying to get back into now). I'd recommend any jillian michaels dvds, 30 day shred is a good start! And the Wii is fantastic too. Zumba is fun, I also have ufc trainer which is a brilliant stress reliever and Wii active 2. The games give u varied exercises, and show u cals burned and time etc. My son often joins me so its a great way to teach our kids good exercise habits too. Who needs the gym!!!
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    i don't go to the gym, never have really i do fitness dvds, running and i have quite a few fitness games for the xbox kinect :)

xxx