Raise a glass to this Mom!

Options
mleoni092708
mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
That's what you get scumbag!!!

A young Oklahoma mother shot and killed an intruder to protect her 3-month-old baby on New Year's Eve, less than a week after the baby's father died of cancer.

Sarah McKinley says that a week earlier a man named Justin Martin dropped by on the day of her husband's funeral, claiming that he was a neighbor who wanted to say hello. The 18-year-old Oklahoma City area woman did not let him into her home that day.

On New Year's Eve Martin returned with another man, Dustin Stewart, and this time was armed with a 12-inch hunting knife. The two soon began trying to break into McKinley's home.

As one of the men was going from door to door outside her home trying to gain entry, McKinley called 911 and grabbed her 12-gauge shotgun.

McKinley told ABC News Oklahoma City affiliate KOCO that she quickly got her 12 gauge, went into her bedroom and got a pistol, put the bottle in the baby's mouth and called 911.

ABCAn 18-year-old Oklahoma mother shot and... View Full Size ABCAn 18-year-old Oklahoma mother shot and killed an intruder who broke into her home.
"I've got two guns in my hand -- is it okay to shoot him if he comes in this door?" the young mother asked the 911 dispatcher. "I'm here by myself with my infant baby, can I please get a dispatcher out here immediately?"

The 911 dispatcher confirmed with McKinley that the doors to her home were locked as she asked again if it was okay to shoot the intruder if he were to come through her door.

"I can't tell you that you can do that but you do what you have to do to protect your baby," the dispatcher told her. McKinley was on the phone with 911 for a total of 21 minutes.

When Martin kicked in the door and came after her with the knife, the teen mom shot and killed the 24-year-old. Police are calling the shooting justified.

"You're allowed to shoot an unauthorized person that is in your home. The law provides you the remedy, and sanctions the use of deadly force," Det. Dan Huff of the Blanchard police said.

Stewart soon turned himself in to police.

McKinley said that she was at home alone with her newborn that night because her husband just died of cancer on Christmas Day.

"I wouldn't have done it, but it was my son," McKinley told ABC News Oklahoma City affiliate KOCO. "It's not an easy decision to make, but it was either going to be him or my son. And it wasn't going to be my son. There's nothing more dangerous than a woman with a child."

Replies

• felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Good for her!
  • BrooklynBeast
    Options
    Bravo to her!
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    "I wouldn't have done it, but it was my son," McKinley told ABC News Oklahoma City affiliate KOCO. "It's not an easy decision to make, but it was either going to be him or my son. And it wasn't going to be my son. There's nothing more dangerous than a woman with a child."

100% agree with that.. when the instinct to protect your baby is challenged, it's a whole new set of rules.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    What a woman!!!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    good for her. it's a shame that that had to happen at all, but she did what she had to do to protect her baby.

PA state police told us once "You are your own best first defense" and when you live in the boonies, it takes time to get a cop out.

i hope she gets some therapy though, this won't be easy on her.
  • jazzedorange
    jazzedorange Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I love that story! You go Mama!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Love! And I agree that when it comes to protecting your child, anything is possible.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Obviously she did what she had to do, and most people would do the same. But no, I'm not going to celebrate anyone's death.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I would have done the same.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    when you live in the boonies, it takes time to get a cop out.
    THIS is why we have guns. We live pretty remotely from any actual help. In an event such a this, by the time help got here, someone would be dead. And it won't be me or my husband.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    good for her. it's a shame that that had to happen at all, but she did what she had to do to protect her baby.

PA state police told us once "You are your own best first defense" and when you live in the boonies, it takes time to get a cop out.

i hope she gets some therapy though, this won't be easy on her.

Exactly.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    To protect my child, husband or yes, even myself I would do the same thing. I wouldn't be happy about it but would do it without hesitation.
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    This made me tear up. I would do ANYTHING necessary to protect my children. Poor girl has to deal with the death of her husband, raising a newborn alone and feeling unsafe and now has a death on her hands and she's only 18.

It's very sad!
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    This made me tear up. I would do ANYTHING necessary to protect my children. Poor girl has to deal with the death of her husband, raising a newborn alone and feeling unsafe and now has a death on her hands and she's only 18.

It's very sad!

This. Exactly my reaction.
  • jenpolter
    Options
    OMG!!! wow!
  • speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options

It's very sad!

This x2
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Good for her!! I need a gun now!!
  • captawesome
    captawesome Posts: 121 Member
    Options

It's very sad!

This x2

Make that x 3.
  • CookieCatCatcher
    CookieCatCatcher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Props to her, and that's why we have the RIGHT to bear arms! (For now...)
  • krystico
    krystico Posts: 104
    Options
    Never mess with a mom and her baby!!!!! :-)