My Goals
    Go to the gym 5 times a week for an hour
    Do fit fix 3 times a week
    Work on abs 3 times a week
    If class is out early go to Body Jam
    One candy bar/bag of chips a week
    6 servings of fruits and veggies
    Not to eat more than 200 calories after 8

Now that its all wrote down it seems like alot but im doing most of them now. I find exercising the easy part, the healthy eating not so much.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    That's the spirit, Jess. Thanks for reinforcing my decision not to touch them, not even one. I don't know how you do it... with that much temptation, I'd probably break down and eat one, then more!

That's exactly it... once you start with one... then what's one more, and a couple more... and before you know it you're sitting with an empty box and a day's worth of fat & calories! :sick:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    My Goals
    Go to the gym 5 times a week for an hour
    Do fit fix 3 times a week
    Work on abs 3 times a week
    If class is out early go to Body Jam
    One candy bar/bag of chips a week
    6 servings of fruits and veggies
    Not to eat more than 200 calories after 8

Now that its all wrote down it seems like alot but im doing most of them now. I find exercising the easy part, the healthy eating not so much.

The healthy eating becomes a habit the more you read labels and see what your putting into your body...
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Tamara-Those are good goals. You'll get the hang of eating more healthy. The more you eat clean, the easier it is.
    I have 6 boxes of GS cookies sitting on my kitchen counter & I've resisted since last Tuesday!!!
    :bigsmile:
    I'll give mine away too.
    Less working out this weekend than I had planned, so this week I'll really turn on the motivation.
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    So here is what I've been wondering... is honey good for us or not? I know it's a natural alternative to sugar and I've been trying to limit sugar except from natural sources (lactose/ fructose). But it has more calories per tablespoon than sugar and its glycemic index is higher. So what are its benefits? Should I avoid it too? :sad:

Yes, honey is good, so is turbinado sugar because they're unrefined, unprocessed sugars. When I use sugar it's all that I use. The calorie count might be higher, but they're a different type of calories, and better for you. ( That's my theory anyways =])

Thanks sweetapplepi. I have been really confused about the different types of sugar, natural and processed etc., so I've been doing some reading. I just read the following on nutrition.about.com: "Excessive use of either High Fructose Corn Syrup or white sugar results in gaining extra fat quickly. In fact, research suggests fat storage begins within a few hours."

:noway:

I don't know what it means by "excessive" but I'm thinking, why do I want to eat *any* of something that results in fat storage????

White sugar and HFCS do not take long for the body to break down at all and are soon turned into fat. On the other hand, the molecules in honey are more complex and take longer for the body to breakdown, providing a steady flow of energy throughout the day.

So... that's what I learned today and I know it is basic nutrition but I am not smart about that stuff at all... still learning!! And thought I'd pass on the info. for anyone out there like me who is like "huh?!" when it comes to sugar.
  • meisje
    meisje Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i absolutely avoid sugar and candy and other "yummy" demons! :devil:
    i am such a glutton that once i start, i can't stop! the great thing is, once you completely avoid refined sugar and other cr*p for a week or more - you don't want it!!!
    i love it. eating healthy rocks - today i had my usual breakfast, plus a yogurt, kiwi, orange, rice, steamed pepper with pork/beef mix baked inside and i might go grab a pear and some cheese for a snack! i am waaay under on water today though - we all have to make sure we are getting more than enough to keep up with all our hard work!
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • MyaPapaya75
    Options
    Whew workouts done I ended up doing 30min Kickbox Cardio, 30min Biggest Loser Cardio Max, 45min Total Body Burn, 25minutes Biggest Loser Yoga .....and 100 crunches for another challenge:drinker:
  • JessicaT2007
    JessicaT2007 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    OK everyone, I am so in!

24 years
    5'2"
    137 lbs
    size 6

My main goal is to get back to a size 4 and be between 120 and 125 and STAY THERE! I know I can get there since I have before, my main problem is staying there. I have started working out about 4 times a week and hope to bump it to at least 6. I just started doing the Wii Fit and like it, but the intensity is not there. I use it mainly for the yoga and to make sure I have the correct form. When I go to the gym I like to do at the least one hour of cardio. I HATE running, but find it is the best way for me to lose the fat. I have worked up to running 40 minutes out of a 60 minute time on the treadmill. I am working up to running all of it. I also love to use this air trac machine at the rec center (at school).

My main problem with food is portion control! I grew up with the mentality that I had to clean my plate all the time (thanks Dad!) :bigsmile: I am slowly getting away from that, but I still feel the need to finish my plate even tho I am stuffed! I need to tear myself away from that! I have started using smaller plates that way it looks like I have a lot of food on it. I have to trick my mind. I do need help with the clean eating. I eat my fresh fruits and veggies and LOVE the lean meats. I need my snacks tho. Not like cookies or whatever, but like rice cakes and applesauce and sugar free jello. Are those bad? I also tend to get stuck in a rut when it comes to food because I know what I can eat to fit in my calories and tend to just eat those things.

This was just kind of an over all post to let you guys know what I am doing and what I am bad about. :tongue: Did I miss anything?
  • JessicaT2007
    Options
    Oh, and I would love to share my breakfast smoothie recipe that I make in the mornings!

1/2 medium banana (I usually freeze it)
    1/2 cup pineapples
    1 cup fresh spinach
    8 oz light vanilla soymilk

just blend it all together, the frozen banana gives it a good consistency, but you can always add ice. I like this because it is 3 servings of my fruit and vegies and the soymilk makes it so you don't need to add any kind of sugar/yogurt to make it taste good. I hope the soymilk is on the clean eating list......
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

Hope you are having a good day. As far as the honey...personally I avoid anything with sugar. Sugar is sugar is sugar to me. Sugar alcohols are not good for me either though, because even though they don't have the blood sugar impact, they give me BAD gas. :noway: :noway: Sugar free candy? I'd rather just not eat any if that's how I feel after it...

Here's a good quote for those GS cookies you are all surrounded by. "One is too many and a million is not enough!"

Welcome Jessica! Good goals...there are definitely other ways to get some good cardio in though, as running isn't my favorite either. Stick with us and we'll push you!

Sounds like we've been busy today!
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Jessica,

Soymilk is sweeter and has lower calories, but some people find that it makes it harder for them to lose fat when drinking it. This is because of the high estrogen levels in soymilk, which as you know, is also the hormone that aids in fat storage in humans. Have you ever considered a flavored protein powder instead? I can't say that soymilk will have this effect on everyone, but for some, it slows them up a bit.
  • MyaPapaya75
    Options
    Dinner: Bowl of Honey Nut Cherrios with an apple and grapes....Im waiting to see what my stepmom is going to make with these black beans yumyum!!

does anyone know what kind of fruit has the highest fiber content....:drinker:
  • sweetapplepi
    Options
    Oh, and I would love to share my breakfast smoothie recipe that I make in the mornings!

1/2 medium banana (I usually freeze it)
    1/2 cup pineapples
    1 cup fresh spinach
    8 oz light vanilla soymilk

just blend it all together, the frozen banana gives it a good consistency, but you can always add ice. I like this because it is 3 servings of my fruit and vegies and the soymilk makes it so you don't need to add any kind of sugar/yogurt to make it taste good. I hope the soymilk is on the clean eating list......

Oooh, this sounds so yummy! I assume you can't taste the spinach? =]
    Thanks for the recipe. Slow start today, super busy, but I'm going to start my workout now. =]
  • JessicaT2007
    Options

Oooh, this sounds so yummy! I assume you can't taste the spinach? =]
    Thanks for the recipe. Slow start today, super busy, but I'm going to start my workout now. =]

I never taste the spinach! Have a great workout!
  • JessicaT2007
    Options
    Jessica,

Soymilk is sweeter and has lower calories, but some people find that it makes it harder for them to lose fat when drinking it. This is because of the high estrogen levels in soymilk, which as you know, is also the hormone that aids in fat storage in humans. Have you ever considered a flavored protein powder instead? I can't say that soymilk will have this effect on everyone, but for some, it slows them up a bit.

I did not know that about soymilk! I was just using it as a milk replacer because it taste better to me. I should look into the protein powder! Thanks for the info!
  • sweetapplepi
    Options
    So here is what I've been wondering... is honey good for us or not? I know it's a natural alternative to sugar and I've been trying to limit sugar except from natural sources (lactose/ fructose). But it has more calories per tablespoon than sugar and its glycemic index is higher. So what are its benefits? Should I avoid it too? :sad:

Yes, honey is good, so is turbinado sugar because they're unrefined, unprocessed sugars. When I use sugar it's all that I use. The calorie count might be higher, but they're a different type of calories, and better for you. ( That's my theory anyways =])

Thanks sweetapplepi. I have been really confused about the different types of sugar, natural and processed etc., so I've been doing some reading. I just read the following on nutrition.about.com: "Excessive use of either High Fructose Corn Syrup or white sugar results in gaining extra fat quickly. In fact, research suggests fat storage begins within a few hours."

:noway:

I don't know what it means by "excessive" but I'm thinking, why do I want to eat *any* of something that results in fat storage????

White sugar and HFCS do not take long for the body to break down at all and are soon turned into fat. On the other hand, the molecules in honey are more complex and take longer for the body to breakdown, providing a steady flow of energy throughout the day.

So... that's what I learned today and I know it is basic nutrition but I am not smart about that stuff at all... still learning!! And thought I'd pass on the info. for anyone out there like me who is like "huh?!" when it comes to sugar.

If you have to use sugar, honey or any type of unrefined sugar would be best. Most things have some sort of sugar/sweetener source in it...even fruit has a source of "organic" sugar.

I have some extra tummy fat, and I want to tone my tummy, so I have to lose that. I just don't want man arms and legs. :tongue: I think you look great btw! Keep up the good work :flowerforyou:

I've never heard that of soymilk either. I don't like the taste of "real" milk, so I use that too at times, and always have it on hand. I drink it, and have never noticed a weight gain or it causing me to retain weight. Interesting though...
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Just finished my workout tonight, had a good dinner, well under my calories & carbs, I even finished the laundry! :wink:
    I don't usually eat all my exercise calories, just some of them. It seems that it gives me a bit of a cushion for unexpected situations.
    Is everyone up for a "Bring it" kind of week????
    :drinker:
    :heart:
    :bigsmile:
  • MyaPapaya75
    Options
    wtg georg...yep im ready for a Bring It week....cant wait to fall asleep and excercise again when I wake LOL..im trying my hand at the biggest loser yoga dvd its quite hard but i thnk it will get easier. plus it makes me sweat ..i hate doing workouts that i dont sweat with so thats always a challenge finding something that will make me feel like im working.:drinker:
  • RiverRatChick
    RiverRatChick Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Just checking in with the Bring It Bunch! Had the WORST day at work yesterday:explode: -- got home and P90X'd (yes its a verb now:wink: ) like a crazy chick. Cranked up the XM radio and just kicked some serious butt. It is amazing how much better I felt after that. Maybe I should get livid at work all the time :noway: lol :laugh: Anyway, I hope you all are doing well!!!
  • MyaPapaya75
    Options
    wtg!! River...so many people turn to food when stressed ...you turned to P90X u go girl!!!

Good Morning Bring it Bunch!!
    Im up late today probably gonna be TOM again its all off wack now that Im excercising oh well haha I do have good news and not the one where I save money on my car insurance..I was doing my daily mirror routine and lifted my arms to notice my second bacon slab roll is almost gone usually when I lift my arms I have 2 huge rolls on the side of my body now I only have one!!! the second one is only enough to pinch I cant even grab it wooooohoooooo!....its so nice to notice things like this for instance I will be able to wear my summer dresses!!,,Im a girlie girl and having to hide in bulky clothes kills me...I wish I would have measured my bust when I started ....today my plan of attack is 30min BL Cardio Max,30min Jillian Cardio Kickbox,30min Hio Hop Cardio, 35min WATP and I will open up a new latin rhythm dvd and try it out.so a total of 2+hrs...I hope everyone is planning to bring it today!!:drinker: OH and my 100 or so crunches for my other challenge