Those of you with a KINDLE...

Options
124»

Replies

• MrsMuffinRun
    Options
    Got one for Xmas and I love it! I got the new one, which is actually cheaper, £89 in UK. It is just the right size. I also have a pink leather case for it and I think this makes all the difference as the case opens out like a book, so it feels like you are holding a book. Slightly embarrasing that I occasionally lick my finger and try and turn the page manually though!
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I'm a professional writer so you can imagine how much I love books. And being a Sage at this point of my life, I'm probably far more old fashioned than you. :) However, I read on both my Kindle and iPad and love the Kindle. The iPad is not the best for reading. Now, I still have special books on my shelves that I want in physical form. Some books I have both physical and digital. But for books I plan on reading once or books I want close to me all the time, I keep them on the Kindle.

The Kindle is cheap. Very cheap. They start at $79 I think. No, you don't pay monthly unless you get one that's on a network --- similar to a cell phone. If you have wifi, your access is totally free. Downloading is automatic and only takes seconds. Almost instant.

There are many people who love books but own and also love their Kindles. It's truly a wonderful way to read. One thing I like is that when I wash dishes or am getting out of the shower and can't "read" I turn on the text to speech and listen to the book. It's really great. You should take the plunge. You won't be sorry.
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Not sure about pricing, I'm in Canada and mine came from the US. I understand you can now buy the kindle at Staples in Canada.

Anyway, my husband bought me a kindle 2 Christmases ago and it is honestly the BEST gift I have ever received. There is no monthly fee, you just order books as you need/want them. Mine has wifi so I can get books anywhere. I've actually been out camping and been able to order a book. What my husband started out loving about it is "I'm not tripping over stacks of books anymore" - but since he bought himself one a few months ago he's hooked too. You get to archive all your books so you can re-read them whenever you want.

If you are on a limited budget there are lots of lower priced books and some free ones too. I've found a lot of authors I really like just by buying a free book (sometimes its a new author trying to make a name, sometimes an older author who is trying to re-kindle interest, and sometimes it is a self-published book by just your regular "guy on the street". I've also gotten a few books that are total duds - but it was free so who really cares?

One thing that I really loved was my husband and I were watching a documentary and it really interested us. Turns out there was a book to learn more - grabbed the kindle, ordered the book and within moments of expressing an interest in the subject we were learning more!

I don't miss the stacks of books either!:laugh:
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    After reading loads of reviews and feedback finally went for the new Kobo. Really clear, touch screen, but the biggest advantage over the Kindle is not only do you get more options of where to get books from, you can rent them free by downloading direct from your local library.
  • jrreed1
    jrreed1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Best thing ever!!!! I sort of miss having my books on display, but I love having a book wherever I go. I downloaded the Kindle app for my Droid and all of my books sync, including the last page read.
  • Scoochie1
    Scoochie1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I toyed with the idea of a Kindle but in Ireland they retail around €109 and for €159 I was able to get a 7" android tablet. So now I can download books as well as check email, MFP and facebook which seems like better value to me! I love having a proper book and I can see myself still buying them, but the house is so full of books I needed a plan B. Really handy to throw a Tablet in your handbag and they are just as pleasant to read with as a paper book
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I have the Fire, but it sounds like you just want something for reading, so I'd go with the $79 version. You may find that you really like it. It's great for setting on the elliptical or treadmill, too...you don't have to worry about your book closing up on you! They are light and easy to use, and you can have lots of books on hand at a time.

I'd suggest that you visit Best Buy, HH Gregg, Walmart, Office Depot, or any number of other places that are selling Kindles. Hold it and try it out so you can see what it's like. Amazon is also good about returns, too, so if you get it and hate it, you can always return it.

Good luck!

ETA: One advantage to the Fire is that when you have a WiFi connection, you can get on MFP's website and the app!
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have a Nook for over a year now, and I just LOVE it! You can get them for pretty cheap or get the more expensive ones that also act as a tablet. Mine is the original that has 3G. I have over 500 books on my Nook, and a good portion of them were free. I would recommend an ereader to anyone, even a hard-core bibliophile. I love holding paper books as well and even worked in a bookstore a few years back and have quite an extensive collection. But the Nook is SO convenient.
    No monthly fees or service plans.
    You can check books out from the library on it.
    You can lend books to other people with a Nook.
    Can sync to other devices like your phone and computer aps to pick up where you left off. I use it on my phone sometimes if I forget to charge the Nook.
    When I bought mine, I checked out a bunch of the different ereaders, but the only ones that seemed worth it to me were the Kindle and the Nook.

Another advantage of the Nook: You can go into any Barnes and Noble store and they have people there to help you out if you are having problems with the Nook. Also, their over the phone customer service is awesome, I broke a button on mine shorty after I bought it and they replaced it and we so nice and quick.
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    After reading loads of reviews and feedback finally went for the new Kobo. Really clear, touch screen, but the biggest advantage over the Kindle is not only do you get more options of where to get books from, you can rent them free by downloading direct from your local library.

You can do this with the kindle now too. You can also lend or get books from other people.
  • FrostyBev
    FrostyBev Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My 12 year old daughter saved her money for a year and bought herself the Nook Tablet. For Christmas I bought her a 16gb microSD memory card and loaded it with eBooks for her. She absolutely loves it and has it constantly in hand.

I can't wait to get one myself and we are both lovers of books.
    Are you looking for just Kindle feedback or Nook as well?

I just treated myself to the Nook Tablet for Christmas - BEST GIFT TO MYSELF EVER!! I actually just posted on my Facebook that I'm still in love with my Nook. I've read 3 books since I got it 3 weeks ago. I've changed all my magazines that I buy over to subscriptions on the Nook - no more wasteful paper!!

They all range in prices - I got the Nook Tablet which was $249, but you can get the entry level Nook or Kindle for $79. Well worth the money!
  • debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Options
    I love my Kindle so much. It comes everywhere with me. Its especially handy when I go to Ireland to visit my grandparents. There is a lot of time to read. Before, I would pack 4 little books into my luggage, now I have about 100 in the palm of my hand. I do wish I'd got a Kobo though. Its worth remembering that kindle is not the only e-reader out there
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    Ok I was the same way until I got a Kindle for xmas. I was all "I WANNA HOLD MY BOOKS!!"

but I have the Kindle touch and I LOOOOVE IT. The books are cheapest on Kindle (except vs some used books online), my hand cramps up less, I can sit much more comfortable with it...I could go on and on.
    Not to mention...it fits in my pure IN a case!
  • nicksaysnever
    Options
    I got a Kindle for Christmas this year (the $79 version) and I LOVE it. It does a great job of mimicking the feel of reading a paperback book. I love curling up with it at night on the couch.

The screensaver ads are all very well done, too. Unobtrusive with nice pictures, and you're not forced to look at them while you're trying to read or anything like that. Definitely worth the $40 savings.
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Kindle lover here! We live in the UK and all our family is in the US. Christmas has always been difficult as far as presents go because of shipping times and prices. My MIL got me an Amazon gift card this year but got me one for the US side instead of the UK side. Since we used to live in the US we had an Amazon account already set up. I transferred my Kindle over to the US store and bought 9 new books including a few brand new releases, 5 minutes later they were all on my Kindle, no shipping, no boxes and no customs charges! I got my Kindle earlier this year, I will always ask for Amazon gift cards now when someone needs a gift idea for me. :)

I work on the computer all day and it's mostly text based, the Kindle is so much easier on my eyes. I bought a zip cover that has a bit of storage on one side, like for credit cards etc. Do your research, figure out what features are important to you and go from there. I'm cheap, that's why I chose the Kindle WiFi...oh and it was on sale.
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it has been mentioned, but you can connect the kindle to a smartphone (I have an HTC Inspire) and read the same books on your Kindle on your phone. Kind of an extra added bonus when you can't have your Kindle out...like at work.

I am also a book collector. I have a ton of books (about 3 bookshelves worth) but feel that the Kindle is the best thing for me to avoid buying anymore bookshelves. Stores a ton of books, they download in seconds, and the books are easy to read on the Kindle...love it!

Sorry, connect is a bad choice of words. You don't have to connect the 2 by a cord, but through the free Kindle app and signing into your Amazon account you can LINK your Kindle and smartphone....
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I mentioned the Pixel of Ink fb page/website that tells you about free/discounted books. Today I discovered that there is a Pixel of Ink - Young Addtion fb page/website for books for kids. Had to share.