Is there really a correct way to do a squat?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

I've squated with more than 4 plates in competition.

Its doesn't really show.

Well it was 10 years ago but I was actually lighter when I did it. 165lbs. And it was 450lbs in a powerlifting comp. Full suit and knee wraps. But it was easy. I failed at 500lbs.

There are guys lighter than me squating more. And guys at my weight squating close to 550-600lbs. Same with the dead.

I was merely average at my peak. I lift at my warm up weights now. haha
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Is there a "trick" to making sure your back doesn't "bow"?? Is it just about tightening up all of the muscles of your body while you do the squat, or is there something else?? (I think I'm worried about my lower back, when I squat, so I do something unconsciously which has my toes over my knees and the weight moving off my heels and into my toes...)

keep a narrower grip than what you might instinctively start with, thumbs up alongside fingers, and imagine pinching a coin between your shoulder blades. This will help you achieve a "low bar" squat position. Then, as you squat down, keep your eyes on something at standing eye level ahead of you. If your head/chin is up, it will help resist the urge to curl your back rather than keeping your torso up.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    but if I see some guy squatting 135 and he tries to give me advice, why should I listen to him?

idiocy!!!
    do you think the guy in the picture maxes out at 135 lbs? it's called a demo. if mark rippetoe put an empty bar on his back and was showing you proper squat form would you not listen to his advice because he didn't have 3 plates a side on the bar?
    You do realize he's squatted more than 3 plates in competition right? This is my way of finding good information from the sea of bad ones out there. As far as I'm concerned, the guy in the video did nothing to convince me that he knows what he's doing.

I've squated with more than 4 plates in competition.
    I'm sure you have and I'm sure your form was and still is fine and that's why you're still lifting.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Someone posted this earlier in the bodybuilding forum. He did pretty good except could've backed up more efficiently and he was advised to look up toward the ceiling. Overall, his squat form was pretty good. Check him out. I'm sure there's more videos like his on the WWW. :wink:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/438457-squats-form-check-please
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    This is how you do a proper squat.
    http://www.bodyrock.tv/2011/05/24/game-on-300-squats-challenge/

Watch the video on the page, at about 1 min in she tells you and and shows you.
  • toabetterlifestyle
    Options
    Make sure your knees don't go past your toes!!
  • charnjitsandhu
    charnjitsandhu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes you always have to make sure that your weight is on your heels, you should be able to wiggle your toes.
  • KristalDawnO
    KristalDawnO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, there definitely is! Coming from a former powerlifter :) Listen to the trainer, you don't want to get hurt! Something we used to do was practice sitting down and getting back up from a low box. It really helps with form!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Today I went to the gym and had one of those free personal assessments. The trainer asked me to do a squat. So, I squatted and he said I was doing it wrong. Really? A squat is a squat.! He kept telling me to arch my back, so, I'd arch my back and then he'd say...now you're just bending over, so I'd not arch as much and then he'd say my knees were going past my toes. I was about to punch the guys lights out. Seriously! What do you think? Is there a proper way to do a squat? And What's the big deal anyway?
    Improper form leads to injury, imbalance, and ineffectiveness. So yes there is a proper way to do a squat, just like there is a proper way to throw a ball, ski a slope and play piano.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    This is how you do a proper squat.
    http://www.bodyrock.tv/2011/05/24/game-on-300-squats-challenge/

Watch the video on the page, at about 1 min in she tells you and and shows you.

I dunno....if you are squatting with zero weight, I can see why this might work. But, to me, it looks like her feet are too wide and she's going down too low, if you have a barbell across your shoulderblades.

Sometimes the information (on the internet) is confusing. I am hoping a trainer can advise me on how to get better at (form for) squatting with heavy weight. I am hoping this means practising at home, with a box behind me, or whatever....or maybe practising the squat as zuzana has suggested. I should find out this week. Meanwhile, tomorrow IS a squat day, and I'm going to practice with NO weight, and putting my arms in front as I sink down.

I do appreciate all the suggestions. This, right now, is my favourite discussion on the forum!