Opinions please! Women going to sports bars alone.

Options
OnWisconsin84
OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
I separated from my husband in September & lost most of my friends here since they were mutual friends of both of us. I've lived a pretty lame existence the last few months, but I'm ready to quit wallowing in my loneliness (womp womp!) and get out there since I'm normally a SUPER outgoing person. Trouble is, without the support of friends, that's kinda hard to do. I'm a huge sports fan, and am thinking about going out tonight, alone, to a new sports bar near my house to grab a couple beers & watch some ball. This seems pretty lame to me, as a female, to go to the bar by yourself. What do you think?! (Obviously I realize safety is of concern, but I'm a pretty big girl @ 5'11 & can handle my own :wink: )

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    If you want to go, go, but you might end up in the awkward situation of the people you don't want talking to you talking to you, and the people you do want talking to you might not be interested.
    Bars are of course good places, but there are of course other sources, some people I know use Match.com and Eharmony and they have been generally happy.

BTW Sorry about your separation.

Enjoy
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I would say go out be social and mingle. Sit at the bar and make friends with the bar keep, he/she will take care of you :flowerforyou:
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it. I have always had the mindset if it 'feels' wrong .. it is. If you go there with no 'evil dastardly plan' .. then that's what you will have. A social evening with camaraderie of others. No harm done.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Go if you want to,be cautious for safety if that is a consideration (don`t be cocky and careless) but don`t feel funny about being there alone.

Have fun and be open to meeting someone.
    As a guy that is also a bit shy and standoffish among strangers,it is fun to find a nice lady that is open and friendly.
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback :) I ended up going, and having a GREAT night. The bartender was good to me...after 6 hours of drinking beer that wasn't on special I left with a $17 tab. He said if I came back tonight he'd have my back again too...quite tempting!
  • lizzue
    lizzue Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Well done you!
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Sport's bars are great places. I love sports too and I think watching games with other people make them more fun. I have to watch what I eat there though. Beer and pretzels are not on my diet. :)
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! Sounds like you had a blast! I'd go alone to a sports bar myself to watch some soccer or something I was interested in.

By the way, you're a HOTTIE!!! Love your style. :flowerforyou: :love: :flowerforyou: :love: If you lived by me I'd go with you!!
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm not worried about your safety. A sports bar is a HUGE living room full of people who love sports and beer... go and have fun. You will, no doubt, find a buddy to banter with. =)
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I think you'd be fine!! Just use your judgement and have some fun girly!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I go alone to places, including bars, all the time. I'm the coolest girl in school. *hair-flip* The key is to make sure you don't look like you're uncomfortable alone, or that you're desperately looking for friends so you won't be alone.
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Definitely do it! One of my friends goes all the time to a sportsbar by herself (she's married and just likes to have time alone) and I thought i'd feel weird doing it until one day she was super late meeting me there. I am a huge football fan so I just watched the game and ordered food and it was completely comfortable! I ignored everyone around me (hey my steelers were on and I wasn't looking for a conversation) but if I wanted friends I could have made them so I'm sure you'll have fun and meet interesting people. :-) I will warn that creepy people will scope ya out so just don't make eye contact with those folks haha
  • teresaj0315
    teresaj0315 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    GO!!!!! with your head held high and a smile on your face! It's 2012 for gosh shakes, why can't women go to a sports bar and enjoy herself alone? Puh-leeeze!
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback :) I ended up going, and having a GREAT night. The bartender was good to me...after 6 hours of drinking beer that wasn't on special I left with a $17 tab. He said if I came back tonight he'd have my back again too...quite tempting!

....and if you go back twice, he might try to get your front too...:flowerforyou:
    Glad you had a good time and I hope that you continue to do what is right for YOU!
  • chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I say go. You look like you could handle any trouble, or cause any trouble, you want.

If you get hassled, there is usually someone working the door or security, or at least a decent manager, that can make sure you get to your car safely.

I know, because I am a restaurant manager and I don't let people walk out alone at night.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options

sounds like a great night! good for u!
  • twynzmom
    twynzmom Posts: 172
    Options
    I say go!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I separated from my husband in September & lost most of my friends here since they were mutual friends of both of us. I've lived a pretty lame existence the last few months, but I'm ready to quit wallowing in my loneliness (womp womp!) and get out there since I'm normally a SUPER outgoing person. Trouble is, without the support of friends, that's kinda hard to do. I'm a huge sports fan, and am thinking about going out tonight, alone, to a new sports bar near my house to grab a couple beers & watch some ball. This seems pretty lame to me, as a female, to go to the bar by yourself. What do you think?! (Obviously I realize safety is of concern, but I'm a pretty big girl @ 5'11 & can handle my own :wink: )
    Look, just go and go to have fun - not to meet some guy.
    Have fun!

And guess what?
    People will be drawn to you. Like attracts like.

Wink wink....
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    Good for you for going! I no longer have any anxiety about going places alone. You can meet some great people that way! I don't know if you've tried this, but if you go to Meet Up.com you can find meet up groups in your area. They can be for anything: hiking, book clubs, dinner groups, etc... I think people move around more than ever before and we're always trying to find ways to connect and make friends. Give it a go!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I think that you have an awesome attitude! I'm not into sports much, but if I was I'd totally do that! I think it would be at least a good way to make new "friends" of either sex. Single and ready to mingle. Have fun and enjoy life.