Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Question for Runners

After you get the flu how long does it take you to get back to your normal running routine. I've been sick since sat, so I've been resting and today was the first day I attempted any real workout. When I tried to run today I felt like I was going to have a heart attack lol needless to say I stopped and just walked on the treadmill. I have a half marathon coming up soon and I want to push myself but realistically I want to know how much time I should give myself to rest.

Replies

• sunnyh7
    sunnyh7 Posts: 8 Member
    It typically takes me a couple of weeks. Even though I feel "better" I'm still weak.
  • Listen to your body
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    i run when i'm sick. If I have a "flu".. it usually only lasts 12-36 hours until I run again. If i have a cold, i usually run though it because it clears my sinuses. but i've actually found that since i've started running more, I haven't been sick.
  • runwithmike
    runwithmike Posts: 145 Member
    I don't know about you but I always go bonkers when I don't run, especially when I am training for an event. Just add more walk breaks. It keeps moving and you feel better about yourself because you are able to log a longer distance. Run Strong!
  • NubianSpirit
    NubianSpirit Posts: 101 Member
    as a fellow half-marathoner i feel your pain in wanting to get your training sessions in before the big day (when is it, btw?) my suggestion would be to listen to and honor your body. if you try to push yourself too hard before you are ready it will only make things worse; on the flipside, if you don't push a little you might not be ready for your race. i would suggest doing your warm-up and then easing into your pace. you will know when you hit your limit, try to maintain it for a minute or so, and then back down to where it is still challenging but not overwhelming.

as an asthmatic, my illness always tends to sit in my lungs rather than anywhere else. i like to make use of the sauna (wet heat) to dry & draw all of the crap out of my body. i think there is something to be said for the sweating it out part too - but since i tend to end up with a lot of crap in my lungs, i really need to take the time to cough it all out.

good luck on your race!