Telephone call or in person?

Options
2»

Replies

• PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I guess I would call him. I would rather text but agree that it's ****ty, and I'm terrible with any kind of confrontation. Phone seems a little more polite. Although I have to say I'd be very freaked out if he's talking about going on a cruise after 3 weeks! I've had 4 dates with someone in a week and am not even sure I'm ready to introduce him to my friends yet!
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Phone call... seriously.

It's courteous, respectful, safe for you, and way better than a fax.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Just unfriend him on facebook.
    Thats what my ex did after 3 years. Brutal.

Actually I think the face to face break-up is overrated. Don't make me shower and get dressed to give me bad news. Not with gas prices being so high!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I'm a pro at this and have been on both sides. It always sucks to have that conversation.

I say no need to meet face to face. Just call him. It would be more embarrassing for him to be looking into your eyes when he hears the bad news.

I completely agree! A phone call would be perfect. You might even want to preface phone call with a text that asks him when he's free because you guys need to talk (to kinda give him heads up so he's not completely shocked).

This for sure
  • galvodka
    galvodka Posts: 102
    Options
    Doing it via text or phone will make him feel unimportant, and add insult to injury. Please be kind.

How can someone think that they are that important after three dates?!? Most people just do the "fade away" when they're not interested in dating someone they've only been out with a few times...so a phone call is more than sufficient to tell someone you barely know that you are not interested in getting to know them anymore.
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    There is a seinfeld episode about this LOL
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm a pro at this and have been on both sides. It always sucks to have that conversation.

I say no need to meet face to face. Just call him. It would be more embarrassing for him to be looking into your eyes when he hears the bad news.

I completely agree! A phone call would be perfect. You might even want to preface phone call with a text that asks him when he's free because you guys need to talk (to kinda give him heads up so he's not completely shocked).

I agree with this approach.
  • kellyjamespro
    kellyjamespro Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    There is no easy way to do this.... I honestly would prefer to get a text but thats just me.....
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Get a " sorry for your loss" hallmark card. Tell him you like him as a friend but, a cruise is too much too fast.......Bon Voyage. Oh and throw a $20 spot in there. It's rude to send a card without money in it. Plus he can buy some beer and it'll make it not sting as much.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Doing it via text or phone will make him feel unimportant, and add insult to injury. Please be kind.

How can someone think that they are that important after three dates?!? Most people just do the "fade away" when they're not interested in dating someone they've only been out with a few times...so a phone call is more than sufficient to tell someone you barely know that you are not interested in getting to know them anymore.

How important does someone have to be to rate a face to face conversation? Your opinion is valid, but I think doing it via phone/text is unkind.
  • kimoRUN
    kimoRUN Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    This is definitley a situation that calls for a messenger pigeon.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options

I agree with this approach.

I have to agree with this approach too - after 3 dates, a phone call is appropriate (email wouldn't be inapprpriate either, though text seems too casual). Having been on both sides, I can't imagine anything worse than getting dressed up for what I thought was a date, to find out I was being dumped, and then to have to sit there and be polite and cheerful for the rest of the evening... Now, if you had been dating for 3 months and had gone on a cruise with him, that would be different...
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Treat him with respect and call. Maybe you will end up being friends. If you do it via text, it just makes you look shady and childish.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Get a " sorry for your loss" hallmark card. Tell him you like him as a friend but, a cruise is too much too fast.......Bon Voyage. Oh and throw a $20 spot in there. It's rude to send a card without money in it. Plus he can buy some beer and it'll make it not sting as much.

Lol...too funny
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice, as I mentioned he is a nice guy and would make a great friend. I will give it some thought.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    This is definitley a situation that calls for a messenger pigeon.
    So true! Or a Smoke Signals For Beginners handbook
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    How's this for timing?!

I got dumped this morning. Via text message.

To be honest, I don't actually think it would have hurt more or less had it been in person or on the phone. (We also only dated for a couple of weeks)
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    off subject, but i read an article where this girl went on 200+ dates a year so she can eat free. something is wrong with our dating system.

i would wait till the dude calls you and then break it easy.
    Thanks everyone for the advice, as I mentioned he is a nice guy and would make a great friend. I will give it some thought.
    "he is a nice guy and would make a great friend" <-- these are death words for most men.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I think a call would be sufficient.

And WHY is he talking about a cruise after 3 dates?!?!! Jeesh. That should have been discussed during 1st date.

Totally random fact here but I met a guy recently who turned texting feature off. He believes it's quite impersonal. So you couldn't do it through text with him! haha
  • lcgs7713
    lcgs7713 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    you need to see him and tell him in his face!!