Thigh Gap Desires

Options

Replies

• mzjessicab
    mzjessicab Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Try having babies. Your pelvis splits and severs around your coxal bones, in your pubic symphysis, spacing your femurs further apart. That, with diet, exercise, and a positive mental attitude is an almost guaranteed success.
    Hilarious!
  • Gianna5587
    Gianna5587 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    For me the 'thigh gap' is one of the ways I'm able to monitor my weight.. It can come and go from one month to the next! I'm guessing I'm quite lucky in that respect, just the way I'm built. For me, I always know I could do with loosing a few pounds when I start to get that sweaty patch between the thighs.. (sexy!) Totally get where you're coming from.. But everyone's different and I'm guessing for some it's completely unobtainable. Don't make it the be all and end all, just be happy to be healthy..
  • ffuunnnnyy__ggiirrll
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the so-called thigh gap is a result of being severely underweight and muscle loss. If you look at women over the age of 17 like 96% of them have thighs that touch.

Wrong.
    Even at my highest, 200, I had a little thigh gap. Now at 155 with muscular thighs I still have a thigh gap.
    I don't know what the big deal is.
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    This obsession with a gap between the thighs is very strange to me.
    It smells of spooky and unhealthy, not unlike the gals that want to see their bones protruding. :indifferent:

Spooky? Unhealthy?

No, it's not unhealthy. My thighs don't touch and my BMI is 23! It IS mostly genetics though, and I totally understand why it's desirable. 10 pounds ago, my thighs rubbed together, which was very uncomfortable especially in the summer (walking around). I am lucky in that my thighs no longer rub together, now I still have about 8 pounds to lose and most of my body fat is in my middle so that I STILL look pregnant since I'm thin everywhere else.
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    So funny you say this! When I lost my first 50lbs I would think about this too! I don't know how I accomplished it, but I now have the gap. I'm sure it has something to do with me being a runner. I guess I stick to running, squats and lunges and it took the extra fat and formed it into muscle, which made my thighs thin out. I to have thick thighs.

Good luck to you darling!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I have the longed for 'thigh gap'. But I never used to. At the end of the day, it's body fat. Lose it and you'll get a gap.

No it's not easy. And honestly, with a very low (and no, not healthy, please don't lecture me) body fat of approx 15%, my inner thigh is about the only place left that I have (visible) fat! It's one of those problem areas.

That said, I probably gained my 'gap' around 2 years ago. I started my 'healthy lifestyle' of weight loss and fitness almost 4 years ago - so it took a while. I would guess I had a BMI of around 20 and a body fat of around 20% at that time.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Spongebob has a thigh gap. Healthy people usually don't.
  • Cindy_Fit4Life
    Cindy_Fit4Life Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to the OP. A thigh gap means a lot of things. 1.Firm thighs, 2. NO RUBBING of the thighs, & 3. It's look GREAT!

Keep up the good work & in time you'll achieve these results. I recommend Beach Body INSANITY. He does a fantastic job working those legs, glutes, & thighs (and everything else).

Post pics once you achieve this goal, can't wait to see!
  • pmlewis93
    Options
    I completely understand your desire for the thigh gap. It's a great look, and let's face it, most guys find it very attractive haha. I am also 5'2" so I can understand how hard it is to have that look even if you are in shape and healthy. I was a gymnast and used to have the gap, and I am also working towards getting that back. You should be running everyday. Walking at about 4.2mph at the highest incline on a treadmill will also really help trim down the hip area. The incline is what will help. Also squats are great from slimming down in the hip area. You might not see results immediately, but I know it works because I have been doing this. One exercise we always did at the gym [gymnastics] was stairs. Hop up the stairs pushing through your toes and not using your knees to do the jump. On the way back down, do squat at each stair without using the banister for support. Do as many sets as you can. It may seem kind of easy, but you will feel it the next day! :)
  • Cindy_Fit4Life
    Cindy_Fit4Life Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I agree completely. I would like this more than anything. Everytime I lose weight I can see a gap appearing and I think its a possibility for me, though I have HUGE thighs as well after a lifetime of playing softball. I would LOVE to hear what some of your ways of getting to this goal will be!

You want a thigh gap more than anything? Now that doesn't sound right. Someone please enlighten me as to what this amazing thigh gap will bring them once they have it.

I can totally relate to the OP. A thigh gap means a lot of things. 1.Firm thighs, 2. NO RUBBING of the thighs, & 3. It's look GREAT!

Keep up the good work & in time you'll achieve these results. I recommend Beach Body INSANITY. He does a fantastic job working those legs, glutes, & thighs (and everything else).

Post pics once you achieve this goal, can't wait to see!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    My sister, who is pretty skinny overall (about 135 on a 5'7" small frame), always had big thighs. She had liposuction, and said it was the best thing she could have ever done.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    At my skinniest, the low side of a healthy BMI for my height, I didn't have a thigh gap. I had awesome thighs. Toned and muscular. I had "thunder thighs" from 7 years of field hockey, 7 years of squats and lunges, 7+ years of running, and a life time of softball. My thighs are awesome, they'll always be big because I use them. The gap doesn't mean anything. It's not a status symbol, it doesn't mean your body is healthy, strong, or beautiful. Why is it so important? Why can't you love your body as it is?
  • foxygirlact
    foxygirlact Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    So here's the thing. I've got thunder thighs. I want them gone. When I lose weight, I seem to ALWAYS lose it in my ab area. Which is cool and all. But my major target area is my thighs and my deepest desire is to have a thigh gap.
    As a short female of merely 5'2" this is more difficult than you can imagine..so i REALLY REALLY NEED SOME HELP.
    Please. Anyone who has any advice to point me in the right direction...I'd be eternally grateful.
    Thanks so much!

I feel your pain!!!

Unfortunately, as much as I'd like a thigh gap, I don't think it's going to happen (I was a size 8 as a teenager and my thighs were still the biggest part of me and no gap). But, I do think that hopefully if I tone my legs more, the painful rubbing will reduce.

For those of you who are asking "what is the big deal?" = for me, if I wear a skirt, my thighs rub together so much that I get marks / worn skin on my inner thighs, which is really painful. So whenever I wear a skirt, I must wear stockings or those spanks type pants. And living in Australia, that can be VERY hot during the summer.

I too dream of the gap. But if I can't have the gap, I hope for a reducing in the thigh friction!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'2 and have no desire for thigh gap. You have to be really skinny (no muscle mass) and my legs are my favorite body part. I have "dancer's thighs" and I love them, even though my husband makes fun of them. I earned them. They are strong and muscular, they can take me places and I work them hard. I would rather keep my "thunder thighs" than have a thigh gap any day. Plus I consider "thunder thighs" fatty thighs that jiggle tremendously when someone walks, muscular legs don't do that. To each their own.
  • SkinnyGirlFatBody
    SkinnyGirlFatBody Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I would love to have a thigh gap too! If I don't get it, whatever, I just want the painful rubbing of my thighs to stop. I dream of wearing pretty dresses, but my thighs stick and rub together too much to wear them. Plus all my jeans seem to rip because they a so worn in the inner thigh area that their are suddenly just holes in them.
  • wendyw8
    wendyw8 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the so-called thigh gap is a result of being severely underweight and muscle loss. If you look at women over the age of 17 like 96% of them have thighs that touch.

I am not underweight and I have had a thigh gap always, until recently, but I gained ten pounds after I quit smoking, I cant stand for my thighs to touch it drives me crazy!! So I am working on getting my thigh gap back.
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options

Wrong.
    Even at my highest, 200, I had a little thigh gap. Now at 155 with muscular thighs I still have a thigh gap.
    I don't know what the big deal is.

Agreed. I am not underweight, quite healthy, played competitive sports and I have a thigh gap. I can believe it's genetic because it has to do with hip width.

That being said, I think big strong legs are sexy as hell on any gender and I bet a lot of people agree with me! Be proud of your strong thighs if you have 'em, touching or not.
  • FindingTotalHealth
    Options
    My thighs rub together like crickets making music BUT I love them. I've started seeing muscular definition and have come to the conclusion that I may never have the ever elusive thigh gap. I'm pretty okay with that. This year my goal is to squat 100 pounds. Right now I'm at 85. My thighs help me do that. They support me and carry me and they are strong regardless of the fact that they touch.
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Your body naturally retains fat in your thighs especially in the middle. Unfortunately you cannot spot reduce so first you must get to your goal weight. Then you must do a lot of body toning exercises and get your body fat % down to it's target. I suggest the moves on the Tracey Anderson Method or also bodyrock.tv. The Tracey Anderson method helps tone and tighten. You can check out free video of her on youtube.com she also sells workout videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9yBdGqeNU0&list=PLB94EDA6B4F89800B&index=2&feature=plpp_video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncb8e2Q-d_w&list=PLB94EDA6B4F89800B&index=1&feature=plpp_video

These are two of my personal favorites that I have been working on. I have killer ripped legs and I have been working at them for awhile but because I haven't hit my target weight or body fat % I am still struggling with my inner thighs as well. They have a gap but I want it to be much more toned. Good luck in your endeavors!
  • Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to disappoint all you none believers out there, however my main reason for dieting is to get a thigh gap. I have hurrendous scars on the insides of my legs from years of chaffing.

I played semi pro rugby up until 3 years ago and my legs have always been massive. I have VERY wide hips yet i can't imagine I will ever see the light of day between my legs