Thigh Gap Desires

Options

Replies

• juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Yeah you look "trim," but you don't look fit at all, you actually look anorexic (you claim you have muscles, if this is true, I'd be curious to know how much you can squat ;)...[insert rude, inappropriate evaluations here]..Oh, and finally, the whole yoga "long lean muscles" is a complete myth. You need resistance to build muscle, and yoga just cannot offer the level of resistance necessary. Do your research.

First of all - you can't tell anything about someone's fitness by one photo. I am fit, perfectly healthy (blood panels always in ideal ranges) I work out about four or five days a week, and can easily run a 9 minute mile. I work at a women's gym that works with hydraulic resistance (so it doesn't tell how much weight is on it), but I did go to a traditional gym a few weeks ago and (while they didn't have a squat machine) I did three sets of 170 on the leg press. It wouldn't be appropriate for me to say someone wasn't fit just because they had a few extra pounds of them, and it's not appropriate for you to tell a stranger that they aren't fit because they don't have extra pounds on them.

Also, are you really serious about yoga not building muscle/strength? When was the last time you did yoga? Your entire body is used as resistance in yoga.

http://youtu.be/9e72knKHWwE

^So this woman is doing this with no muscle or strength?
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    GUY HERE, And I myself am working on perceived physical flaws caused by excess bodyfat. And I may get flamed for this, because I realize that you guys aren't necessarily doing it to please the opposite sex. But, FWIW, I don't think I have ever discussed the physical attributes of a woman with other guys and the topic of "thigh gaps" has come up. Most guys i know like firm, toned legs of most any size . So, is this a girl thing?
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    The only time I ever desired a thigh gap was when I was battling anorexia.

Don't focus on things like that - focus on being healthy. The rest will fall into place . :flowerforyou:
  • driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"2 and had the EXACT same problem as you. By the time my legs lost weight, my waist was the size of my 8yr old nephews haha

I thought my legs were stocky because I played soccer, but really it was all fat. It's just our body type unfortunately, but once you hit the 100-105 pound mark (which is actually quite healthy for our height), you'll notice your legs are thinner too!
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    GUY HERE, And I myself am working on perceived physical flaws caused by excess bodyfat. And I may get flamed for this, because I realize that you guys aren't necessarily doing it to please the opposite sex. But, FWIW, I don't think I have ever discussed the physical attributes of a woman with other guys and the topic of "thigh gaps" has come up. Most guys i know like firm, toned legs of most any size . So, is this a girl thing?

It most definitely is not!
    It's a society/magazine image thing.
    Picture an anorexic super model on a run way with space inbeterrn her thighs...
    No thank you!
    I do realize some woman have a natural gap with toned legs and THAT is attractive.
    Otherwise, just... no.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Hello!

If you used to have a thigh gap (after puberty!) but have gained weight recently there might be good news! If you've never had one since puberty maybe not so much - blame genetics! Keep in mind that weightloss tends to happen in reverse order. So the place you put it on last, is where the weight will come off first. It is easy to get discouraged especially if you are losing fat off of your back, arms or places that are less noticeable when you are head on in the mirror.

In my opinion a thigh gap is over-rated. A toned leg is much sexier than a skinny leg!
    Case in point:

Serena Williams
    Jennifer Lopez
    Beyonce Knowles
    Gabrielle Reece

A sexy list of ladies with no thigh gap to be found!

Squats, lunges, hamstring curls and roman (stiff leg) deadlifts will give you fabulous, long, strong looking legs and jogging is a great way to emphasize that tone!

Dittos on all of the above.
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    although i can understand the desire for no thigh chafing, i think obtaining a thigh gap is very difficult. as a teen, i struggled with anorexia, and even at my lowest weight (93lbs @ 5'7") i never had a thigh gap.

since i've started strength training pretty heavily and doing cardio 3 ~ 4 times per week, my legs have muscled up incredibly. if i stand with my feet less than hip-width apart, my legs do not touch, and i am quite content with that.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    I had to laugh when I read this post. I haven't had the "thigh gap" since college. The "thigh gap" was a symbol of thinness, at the time. Boy, do I wish I could get those days back. I can remember wearing stir ups pants and admiring my gap in the mirror. Ha, Ha! I don't think I'll be seeing that gap again anytime soon and if you figure out how to get it, please friend me and let me know the secret. :laugh:
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    10317637_6054.jpg
    Since I've always been fit and trim, I've always had a thigh gap to greater or lesser degrees, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
    I absolutely love it, and the bigger it is, the more I feel like I can just throw on any clothes and feel confident in it.

As others have mentioned, you can't really control where your body puts on fat - but you can control how much fat is on your body. Also -- my thighs do have muscle, so don't assume everyone with a thigh gap is weak. For all of those people who are saying that they have "thunder thighs" from working out -- keep that muscle, muscle is our best friend, but do yoga to increase flexibility and get that long, lean muscle definition, rather than short bulky muscles.

Yeah you look "trim," but you don't look fit at all, you actually look anorexic (you claim you have muscles, if this is true, I'd be curious to know how much you can squat ;). By posting your picture and bragging, you are only helping to perpetuate this myth that all women can achieve a thigh gap. You're right that overall fat %age plays a big role, but genes more than anything is going to determine if it's really possible (the example of the fit woman and daily runner who got lipo just to achieve a "thigh gap" proves this!). The fact is, many women would probably kill for a body like yours, but it's just not possible, nor does it look too healthy or fun to get to that size- I assuming you deprive yourself regularly. Try and be more sensitive and stop putting crazy ideas in people's heads. Your just as bad as the media that bombards us with pictures of women who look like you (and again, they only look that way because it's in their genes!). Be happy that you got the genes that allow you to wear whatever skinny jeans you want, and realize that other people were not born with those same genes.

Cerrajean, I think you are right on target with a healthy attitude and taking the right approach. Because your taking a more realistic approach, you're much more likely to stick with your plan and continue to see results in the future.

The point of MFP is to support each other towards better health and weight loss. We shouldn't be focusing on such trivial things. Before you let your fingers spew out whatever thought pops in your mind, try and consider if the advice your giving is even helpful.

I'm glad the original poster has taken the time to read and think over everyone's posts, and hopefully will take it to heart as she continues her journey towards fitness.

Oh, and finally, the whole yoga "long lean muscles" is a complete myth. You need resistance to build muscle, and yoga just cannot offer the level of resistance necessary. Do your research.

That is not trim. That is an unhealthy weight.
    I live in Las Vegas... I know an unhealthy body when I see one.
    Yes, based off this one picture.
    You can't honestly tell me that this girl can go to a physician, and be told that she's at a healthy weight.
  • juliesummers
    Options
    I have been to the physician many times, and not one has ever commented on my weight one way or the other because it's not an issue.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    You actually have a pretty nice figure (original poster that is) :)
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    I have been to the physician many times, and not one has ever commented on my weight one way or the other because it's not an issue.

But you're still dieting... Ok....
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused. When did being bandy or bow legged get sexy?

Odd thing to want, people.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm more concerned with what might fill the gap....
  • appleseeds
    appleseeds Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of rewarding myself with lipo when I hit my goal weight! Better then starving yourself, right?
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    when i stand in front of the mirror, and bend down slightly, i can see a bit of a thigh gap.

it makes me smile.

and that's all that counts.
  • sandislim
    sandislim Posts: 264
    Options
    I notice that female (and male) sprinters do not really have thigh gaps. I would love a thigh gap (I have a small one) but when I look at athletes I don't mind that I might not get one. :)
  • juliesummers
    Options

But you're still dieting... Ok....

What? Yes, I'm still exercising and eating right. What does that have to do with a physician?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'm more concerned with what might fill the gap....

I just cackled. Cackling is so unattractive on a woman of a certain age...
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I think the thigh gap desire is silly.. just like the six pack ab obsession.

Not everyone is going to have them... so might as well just accept your body how it is and make it the best it can be.

If it means that you that your thighs touch or your stomach is not 100% flat.. then so be it.