Losing weight, without a gym

Options
Anyone losing weight @ home without a gym membership???
How?

Replies

• darrenham
    darrenham Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yep. Going for a run, playing football with friends, home-work-out type routines.

Any activity burns calories, dance, skip, cycle, jump, do whatever you enjoy and gets you out of breath!
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Dog walking, some weight lifting (dumbells for the mo!), exercise dvd's, started C25K yesterday!
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I have a weight set / bench at home and walk / cycle a lot when the weather is up for it.

I do these things to earn extra calories though, treats etc and improve my fitness / strength.

Weight is not lost in the gym, its lost in the kitchen. 80% food 20% exercise and all that, i workout for my extras and fitness not to lose weight.

tldr you dont need to exercise to lose weight, at all.
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'll ever join a gym again...much easier and more fun at home..but you have to be committed.

Walking, jogging, Wii, DVDs, apps....there's so much out there!
  • Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi !

I am ! I had to put my gym membership on hold to save money and I have never looked back :)

I do Jillian Michaels dvd's, running and walking !

add me if you like!
  • kenyonsmom10
    kenyonsmom10 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    How?

Yes! I use INSANITY, P90X2, and RIPPED IN 30!!! all AT HOME! I absolutely love it! It is so much more convenient than having to get things together and go to a gym. doing these programs at home allows me the flexibility and NO EXCUSE not to do it!!!! :) (plus the cost is WAYYY less than a year membership at the gym!!!)
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Me too! I do zumba on the wii, walk around the neighborhood, do a little strength stuff with dumbbells. I have some dvd's (although i haven't used them much do to limited range of motion). You don't have to have a gym membership to break a sweat! I have even spent 15 minutes going up and down stairs just to get some exercise in.
  • PeeTeePee
    PeeTeePee Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Walking 4 miles daily to and from work. Bike ride on Sunday for about an hour.
  • lynnmarie60
    Options
    I have an elliptical (got on craigslist cheap), a power rider (craigslist), bike (craigslist) and I play dance party 2 and 3 plus zumba on the Wii.
  • nancy5012
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym. I have a small set of weights and a bench, and a treadmill. I walk my neighborhood with the dogs and my xbox allows me to use different workout videos if I don't want to use the treadmill.
  • iishnova
    iishnova Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Currently using 30DS and plan to start walking around the neighborhood.
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    Running outside, biking outside and doing free weights indoors. P90X was the best money I ever spent.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight through diet alone. Exercise is very beneficial, don't get me wrong, but it is not the most vital aspect of weight loss- diet is.
  • limestar
    limestar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids and rather spend the money in other stuff. With that said I run. I do HIIT with my running to see results. I also get dvd videos. I love turbo jam, turbo fire, chalean extreme, jillian michaels, and lauren brooks for kettlebells. I have built my collection over the years and you be surprise how much you can save on ebay lol.
  • pslwalker
    Options
    I started using the C25K while on my elliptical. I use the run part to go faster and the walk part to go at a normal speed. Really helps to motivate me.
  • LisaLashesxx
    LisaLashesxx Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hello I have great fun at home and in the fresh air...

Belly Dancing to DVD is fab and burns great!

Been stripping wall paper from walls this morning and burned 409 calories in 45 minutes

walking my dog daily and for a general 90-120 minute walk I burn between 800-1200 calories at 3-5 miles per hour.

swimming ( but not in ya pond!)

squats, crunches, lunges wii fit board, wii dance.... the list goes on!

Add me I could help.

L.x
  • WishfulShrinking331
    WishfulShrinking331 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it at home and I found a lot more success personally than when I had acess to a gym. I use youtube work out videos ever since exercisetv got canned. I think that having to trek all the way to the gym makes me lose motivation but at home I'll just go in my room for like 45 minutes and be done with it. I also just purchased a mini stepper and it's a better workout than it looks.
  • sullyboo
    sullyboo Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight through diet alone. Exercise is very beneficial, don't get me wrong, but it is not the most vital aspect of weight loss- diet is.

Although exercise builds muscle which makes for a better metabolism and healthier heart
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Well, technically I have a gym membership but I won't go. We joined the YMCA as a family membership because it wasn't much more and it let us enroll the kids in classes, join the outdoor pool in the summer, and take advantage of parents night out once a month where they watch the kids while you have a date night.

My husband goes to the gym in the morning before work. I'm just not comfortable there. I work out at home in my living room and have been losing weight through that (although I haven't done much of it in the past couple weeks between an injury and the holidays) and mostly through diet and calorie counting.

You don't need to belong to a gym to have success. Good luck!
  • gigiwaterloo
    gigiwaterloo Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    How?

Wii Fit, Wii Zumba, Wii Sports & counting those calories....