Losing weight, without a gym

Options

Replies

• sullyboo
    sullyboo Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym. I've lost weight with a combination of healthy diet, Jillian Michaels DVD, walking and exercise bike. But you must have self motivation !! :happy:
  • LKissam
    LKissam Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! we do circuit training with our kids.. pick 6-8 exercises do them for 1 min each, and jog in place or do jumping jacks inbetween each exercise! the kids love it, it is fun & we crank up the tunes! we also go to the track and jog.. or just around the neighborhood!
    Good luck to you! :o)
  • jessingh84
    jessingh84 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the gym for the classes, but since i got Insanity, Jillian Michael, and a few other work out DVDs I just work out at home. Its comfortable, and your able to do it whenever you want-just make sure to make time for it and not skip it too often!
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I've lost all my weight without stepping foot into a gym. I have 5lbs hand weights and about 5 workout dvds that are 30+ minutes 3 are cardio and 2 are strength training. I log my food on here and have a food scale. It doesn't take a gym to lose weight, just hard work and determination. I even find workouts on my TV with onDemand. If you don't have cable, they have workout videos on YouTube as well.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've lost and maintained weight all my life without ever setting foot in a gym (except the occasional hotel gym while traveling). This time I did it with Zumba and hiking.

In the past I've walked, ran, hiked, biked, skated, swam, jumped rope, done many workout DVDs, I've owned and used an eliptical, treadmill, universal gym, punching bag, stairmaster and one of those gazelle things at various times in my life, I've worked out to TV exercise shows like Bodies in Motion and the 20 min workout. I've done calesthenics, Wii Fit, floor exercises, dumbells, barbells, thigh master, resistance bands. Whatever fit my schedule and sounded fun at the time.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump to read later ;)
    I recently had to give my gym membership up (too much $$)
    sooo I need some motivation :D
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    I never thought of looking for equipment on craigslist thanks for the idea i will look in a month or two after all the NY resolutions are done and they are looking to offload some stuff!
  • bullsands
    Options
    lost 20 kgs with cal counting on MFP and only half an hour brisk walk daily.... plan to loose another 20 kgs but over a period of 12 months.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership now, but lost my first 30 pounds without one. I have a treadmill at home and a full set of weights with bench. I also did workout DVDs (pilates, aerobics). When the weather is nice, I jump rope outside, play badminton (we have a net in the back yard) and tennis at a local park. Bodyrock.tv on the internet also has some good workouts that you can do at home. I decided to join a gym, even though money is tight, for the classes. I love Zumba, Hip Hop dance, spinning, barbell class, circuit training, and the water fitness classes.
  • toddlyons
    toddlyons Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My home gym is comprised of free stuff I collected from other people who gave up on exercise: a Weider home gym, an exercise bike, a manual treadmill, a weight bench, 8 hex dumbbells and 4 regular dumbbells (from 8-30 pounds), and a padded vinyl exercise mat with exercises illustrated on it.

I did add a 300 pound Olympic barbell to this system last week (for ~$300) and I will be upgrading the bench to one with a wider spacing and higher capacity (so I can lift more weight safely), but I lost 25 pounds with free equipment, and could probably have been satisfied with a free barbell system had I found one I liked.

Craigslist, Freecycle and Kijiji are your friend.
  • dementiababe
    Options
    Twoyears ago I was doing a lot of excercise. I walked a lot of trails and excercised on the wii. I played volleyball once a week and bowled on a league once a week.I watched what I ate and lost 32 pounds. Unfortunately, last year I broke my foot while playing volleyball in May. I couldn't do any of the activities I had been doing. It was October before I had surgery so I have been a couch potato for the last three months. I am hoping to get back to at least doing some walking this year. It will be April before I am allowed to play volleyball again. You can lose weight without a gym membership. I have never had one.
  • bluemist248
    bluemist248 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a gym. I do go to my local pool a lot, but otherwise, I use my Wii fitness games such as Zumba and EA Active, (highly recommend both by the way), workout DVDs and walk everywhere.

As a student I can't afford gym membership, and if I'm honest, even if I had it, I'm much more likely to workout in my own room for an hour, than walk a mile to the gym, sweat and pant in front of strangers, and then walk a mile home a sweaty tired mess to shower properly, taking up around 3 hours of my morning/night.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight through diet alone. Exercise is very beneficial, don't get me wrong, but it is not the most vital aspect of weight loss- diet is.

Although exercise builds muscle which makes for a better metabolism and healthier heart

Like I said- it is very beneficial... :)
  • LauraRose03
    Options
    Absolutely! I walk or jog with my dogs (huskies---VERY high energy, they need their exercise). But even before I owned dogs, I never had a gym membership. There are outside tracks that I would run on, or I'd run in my parents neighborhood. Just pick somewhere safe and well lit, preferably where there are other people :)
  • UrmySS1997
    Options
    I walk, zumba, and play on the wii (boxing will wear you out). Have lost 40 pounds so far (started losing before I joined this site). Good luck, you can do it!!!!!!!:smile:
  • LauraRose03
    Options
    I lost my weight through diet alone. Exercise is very beneficial, don't get me wrong, but it is not the most vital aspect of weight loss- diet is.

Although exercise builds muscle which makes for a better metabolism and healthier heart

Like I said- it is very beneficial... :)

I agree! Exercise tones you up, but diet is more important, imo.
  • stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    The past year I've lost all my weight (40+ pounds) without a gym membership. My husband had a treadmill when we got married and a little weight bench. We added an elliptical that we got for $200 cuz it was a display the regular price was $599, our old neighbors gave us a punching bag for helping them move and I have a a couple Jillian and Biggest Loser dvds. My friend also gave me a double jogging stroller for watching her kids short notice one day (she had upgraded to a Bob stroller.)

I try to mix things up in order to lose the weight. I personally prefer the elliptical but right now I'm training for a half marathon so I've obviously been using the treadmill a lot more. I run 3x a week, do the elliptical 1x a week and I'll usually do a dvd 1-2x a week to get some strength training and abs in. Thursday is my rest/recover day.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    There are lots of great ways to lose weight at home. Outdoors, running/walking/biking. Indoors, cardio machines, dvds - p90x, insanity, zumba, Jillian Michaels dvds, etc etc. If you are on a tight budget there are lots of free youtube videos and online info that can help you create your own routine at home. Also, just get creative - Canned goods or textbooks make for good dumbbell like weights.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    yes, running, walking and 30d shred, with lots of inch loss:smile:
  • JennysMan
    Options
    Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii :)