Bananas to eat or not to eat

Options

Replies

• blueandigo
    Options
    Banana's are good especially in Banana pudding.

I can do tricks with Banana's that my friends think are gross.
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I think it stems from fad diets. Bananas are high in sugar and carbs and fad dieters are taught that both are not to be had.

I eat one almost every day and love it.

As stated previously on here, a banana is a MUCH better option nutritionally than something processed like a 100 calorie pack or something.
  • rebeccask
    rebeccask Posts: 170
    Options
    They're the only food I can eat right before a workout! They settle well in my stomach and they're perfect for smoothies.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Bananas are high in potassium. We need this, specially after a long run or hard work out. So why are there so many people saying not to eat bananas if you want to lose weight? What is so bad with the O so delicious Banana?
    Because those saying it aren't really educated on how the body works. Eat em. They're good for you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • thejackswild79
    Options
    I am going to second (or third or fourth or fifth) everything in moderation. Bananas are GOOD. I toss one in a smoothie for flavor, texture and goodness. I enjoy them after a good hard run. And when I have a low blood sugar crash my go to? Banana with peanut butter. Enjoy the banana. Celebrate the banana. In moderation of course.
  • Hotrodhoodlum
    Options
    When I first reviewed the Ultra Lite diet with my Doctor (medical supervision is required) he went over the short list of approved foods. All the foods I’m allowed to eat are regular foods that I can pick up at my local grocery store – I don’t have to go all the way to the not-so-local health food store. What surprised me the most was the incredibly short list of acceptable fruits. The only fruits I can eat are cantaloupe, watermelon, honeydew melon and strawberries – and very limited quantities of these fruits. What my Doctor did make clear is that apples, oranges and especially bananas are NOT on the list. Clearly this is due to the high number of carbohydrates or sugars in the banana.
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I wish I could enjoy a banana every day but alas, it is impossible :sad:
  • jcoco
    jcoco Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bananas save me from binging on chocolate & icecream. I mash up a banana & freeze it, then put a little chocolate syrup over it and for a little over 200 calories, I satisfy my craving for both!
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    Bananas are high in potassium. We need this, specially after a long run or hard work out. So why are there so many people saying not to eat bananas if you want to lose weight? What is so bad with the O so delicious Banana?

I eat a bannana a day. EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!
    Whoever doesn't because of cals has lost their mind. Great fuel post workout!
    105 cals 25 carbs oooweeeeeee

Haha! Too funny... Love bananas and eat one every single day! it,s like my treat with a little maple syrup or dipped in a tad of almond butter! Yummy!
  • runwithmike
    Options
    I usually eat a banana for a late morning snack. Now I know why I am fat.:mad:
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I stay away from them...

...because I find the taste and texture nasty.
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Before a long hard workout. I close my eyes and shove the whole banana in my mouth at once. sometimes I moan lightly. I also like to stand over someone benching 300 lbs and stare into their eyes as I eat my banana.

If you workout hard, eating sugary carbs helps you push harder. If you are just holding down the couch you probably don't need the energy from a banana
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I have an oat bar and a banana most every single morning for breakfast. Whenever anyone tries to tell me bananas aren't good I stop listening to anything else they might have to say.

Our ancestors ate so many bananas they that they eventually evolved to fit our hands perfectly. That's how much our species has relied on bananas for nutrition.
  • acarter64
    Options
    I started to obsess about sugar until I realized that it has to be better to eat a piece of fruit rather than a bland cracker of some sort. It seems that myfitnesspal has a very, very low threshold for sugar. How could I stay under that and still eat Greek Yogurt with tasty, colorful and nutritious fruits? I decided to track calcium and/or iron instead!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I hate the taste, smell and texture of bananas, so naturally I don't eat them. But they are very healthy and I'm told quite filling. They are a common migraine trigger but if you don't have problems with that and you like them I don't see any reason not to eat them.
  • Allyson1985
    Options
    Lol, I saw an ad saying not to eat them if you want to lose weight.

I eat them. I have lost weight. :D
  • cafel3
    cafel3 Posts: 89
    Options
    I thought I was the only one. Sliced banana on whole wheat toast spread with peanut butter is one of my favorite breakfasts!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    to quote the 9th Doctor- i like bananas. bananas are good!

Beat me to it!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one. Sliced banana on whole wheat toast spread with peanut butter is one of my favorite breakfasts!

Hell yeah! This morning I had a banana on wheat with Peanut Butter & Co's Dark Chocolate Dream peanut butter. SO GOOD!

Bananas are awesome! I eat one every day and it's never held me back!
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Just ate one, and I'll keep eating them. Love those bananas! :smile: