Bananas to eat or not to eat

Options

Replies

• SnowWhite824
    Options
    For an extra special treat.... I half a banana the long way, then put it in a (dry) pan to caramalize it. Then I put a tablespoon on Nutella on the side, and dip away. Its sooo good, but like I said, an extra special treat, not to be had every day. :tongue:
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I eat one with my breakfast each morning. Yummy.o
  • JamzPurse
    JamzPurse Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Banana's are good especially in Banana pudding.

I can do tricks with Banana's that my friends think are gross.

Lmao. I bet you can :-P
  • Slugsasarus
    Slugsasarus Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Bananas are good, but they're high on the glycemic index. They're really good right before you work out, but if you don't plan on being active, try choosing berries. They take longer for your body to digest and won't spike your blood sugar.
  • pambaldwin
    Options
    I do not eat bananas because I can't handle the sugar in them unless they are green at the top and bottom. They make me really hungry.
  • k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    For my morning snack I dip bananas in dry chocolate protein powder. I have one almost everyday.
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I eat them at my mom's house, but I usually don't buy them because I don't eat them fast enough and then I make banana bread and eat the whole dang loaf.

Now I want banana bread.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Bananas are high in potassium. We need this, specially after a long run or hard work out. So why are there so many people saying not to eat bananas if you want to lose weight? What is so bad with the O so delicious Banana?

For me I stay away from them because there are many other vegetables and fruits that are much higher in potassium than bananas and don't spike my blood sugar.

When I have researched in the past, Bananas are on the "good" source of potassium list. There are many other vegetables and fruits that have way more potassium than bananas.

Bananas have been the "media" favorite item to always highlight.
  • Kaysid6
    Options
    Me too I eat them with oeanut butter in whiole wheat after workout. I was wondering myself if it was not a good idea bc I've read mixed reviews. Some say definitely after a workout and some say to cut down on belly fat is a no no. It all the people who have Lost lots of weight have eaten them so I think it just depends on if your under ur calorie rate. And also agree it is way better than cakes and ice cream and sodas so idk why the fuss. I am a beginner to high intensity workout and once I started eating the banana after I noticed I don't feel like death the next day so I'd say stick by the nanner!
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Just had one in my Kashi. Love those things!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    When I first reviewed the Ultra Lite diet with my Doctor (medical supervision is required) he went over the short list of approved foods. All the foods I’m allowed to eat are regular foods that I can pick up at my local grocery store – I don’t have to go all the way to the not-so-local health food store. What surprised me the most was the incredibly short list of acceptable fruits. The only fruits I can eat are cantaloupe, watermelon, honeydew melon and strawberries – and very limited quantities of these fruits. What my Doctor did make clear is that apples, oranges and especially bananas are NOT on the list. Clearly this is due to the high number of carbohydrates or sugars in the banana.

I would get a new doctor. Who can live with a food plan that restrictive? I've lost 25% of my original body weight and I eat every fruit imaginable. And an apple and a banana every day. My vitamin intake is through the roof and I feel great.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I had to stop reading this thread because the constant use of BANANAS was...well....driving me.....

crazy.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Eat.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I love bananas, but I rarely eat them. I especially like them sprinkled with brown sugar, then fried in coconut oil, then flambed in rum, lay them over vanilla bean ice cream, and drizzle homemade godiva chocolate syrup over it mmmmm...

On a second note though you can get plenty of potassium with other foods, like; yams, beans, lentils...
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Had a full one in my oatmeal today for breakfast. No regrets
  • runwmeNC
    runwmeNC Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'll enjoy a Bananas when fatigued or cramping.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    to quote the 9th Doctor- i like bananas. bananas are good!

DR.WHO? :wink:

WHAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY love bananas! just not in muffins or bread thats when they gain the calories! :sad:
  • initforlife_clc
    Options
    I completely agree, it seems people have a reason to not eat a lot of healthy things these days...gets annoying. Why make it so complicated? Bananas are healthy and delicious and I am living proof that you can eat bananas regularily and lose weight....again, just my opinion and story though. I'll keep enjoying them though!
  • pawsnpurrs
    Options
    As a Diabetic I am not allowed to eat bananas due to the starch high carb count..but as a person who lives in Az when the temps reach 115-118F for our long summer months the wonderful Banana is the only thing i can eat..and its great for preventing leg cramps from heat dehydration (yep drink 8 glasses or more of H2o and still get leg cramps ) not to mention a wee bit of rum splashed over the banana with some crushed pecans is a nice once a month treat..
  • SillyFitMe
    SillyFitMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Nana-bas!! Ohhhh, sweet mushy yellow love!! My peanut butters new best friend!