Special K cereal

Options
I've been losing weight eating all the healthy stuff. (veggies, chickens, fish, fruits, etc). However, you think its okay to have special k or fiber one for dinner at 7 pm, with 1/2 skim milk?

Replies

• nikki4ever
    nikki4ever Posts: 116
    Options
    I've been losing weight eating all the healthy stuff. (veggies, chickens, fish, fruits, etc). However, you think its okay to have special k or fiber one for dinner at 7 pm, with 1/2 skim milk?
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    If it stays within your calorie range - why not?

It wouldn't sustain me at all! Remember that the time you are sleeping is traditionally the longest time you go without food which means that you go into starvation mode....
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    That's the wonderful thing about MFP... you can eat what you want! If you want to have breakfast at dinnertime, go right ahead!

Now, is this just for tonight, or something you plan on doing for a long time. I'd be concerned that I wasn't getting proper nutrition if I did it every night.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Sure, if you've got the numbers for it, go for it! :smile:
    I LOVE having cereal for supper. My favorites are the Kashi Cinnamin squares and the store brand Oats and More. YUM! :love:
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I eat a bowl of raisin bran or cornflakes every single day before I go to bed, we're talking about 10:00 it takes the edge off the hunger in the morning, and it keeps your metabolism up and running
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

I have cereal every few days a week for dinner..it works well
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    If it stays within your calorie range - why not?

It wouldn't sustain me at all! Remember that the time you are sleeping is traditionally the longest time you go without food which means that you go into starvation mode....

uhh...going to sleep does not mean you go into starvation mode..if you eat at 6 pm...you are stii taking in those nutrients 12 hours later...
  • firewalking
    Options
    According to my nutritionist, my doctor and my trainer going 8 hours without food puts your body into starvation mode. The fact that you are asleep does not change that
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    sure you can, but if I were you I'd allot a few calories for a small snack later in the night. I don't find that ceral fills me up at all. :flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    According to my nutritionist, my doctor and my trainer going 8 hours without food puts your body into starvation mode. The fact that you are asleep does not change that

but you're SUPPOSED to get 8 hours of sleep at night. That would mean everyone goes into starvation mode every night. That doesn't make sense. Maybe they explained it wrong or poorly?
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

no offense but that is just totally wrong...you have been misinformed
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I love it! sometimes when I get home from class I have a bowl before bed...or I eat it for breakfast... I love it
  • astarte09
    Options

My trainer said the same thing. Both of them actually have. They told me to eat a protein shake before bed so thata my body is not hungry and trying to hold onto the fat... whether it is right or not, I usually have a snack before bed or I wake up soo hungry.
  • firewalking
    Options
    Sigh. It's not like we can do anything about it - because we need to sleep. If we didn't eat for 8 hours during waking hours, our body goes into starvation mode. It seemed to make sense to me, but like any other information - if it's important to you, you should do your own research. I question everything myself.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

My trainer said the same thing. Both of them actually have. They told me to eat a protein shake before bed so thata my body is not hungry and trying to hold onto the fat... whether it is right or not, I usually have a snack before bed or I wake up soo hungry.

being hungry and being in starvation mode are not the same...actually, when in starvation mode it is not unusual to not feel hunger at all....the food we eat takes along time before the body even knows it is food...sleeping slows down the process even more.
  • firewalking
    Options
    Actually, I think I'm more offended at the way you approached it rather than telling me I was wrong. I know it's difficult to type softly, but sometimes your attitude speaks so loudly it is difficult to hear what you are trying to say.

And thank you astarte09. I appreciate your support. Just because we do not like what we hear, does not mean it is not true. 8 hours during the day without food and our bodies prepare for starvation. I've read it a thousand times.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Actually, I think I'm more offended at the way you approached it rather than telling me I was wrong. I know it's difficult to type softly, but sometimes your attitude speaks so loudly it is difficult to hear what you are trying to say.

ok...sorry...the end
  • nitag
    nitag Posts: 706 Member
    Options

but you're SUPPOSED to get 8 hours of sleep at night. That would mean everyone goes into starvation mode every night. That doesn't make sense. Maybe they explained it wrong or poorly?

I have to agree with Kerri.I hope my body isn't starving while I am sleeping.. I sometimes have cereal for dinner (last night to be exact). I seem to do fine with a light meal once in a while...
  • astarte09
    Options

being hungry and being in starvation mode are not the same...actually, when in starvation mode it is not unusual to not feel hunger at all....the food we eat takes along time before the body even knows it is food...sleeping slows down the process even more.

Honestly? I did not say ME being hungry and starvation were the same...did I? no..
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

I agree with Dave198................That is ludacris for them to say 8 hours puts your body in starvation mode...........

It takes longer than a few hours to have your body go into starvation mode..........

From the science I have researched on starvation mode, it takes the body a while of having very low caloric intake to go into starvation mode................