Special K cereal

Options
2»

Replies

• firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    This is part of what i have been referring to...plus, I'm confident that what I have read and been told is accurate. Whatever works for you is excellent. However, being hungry and "starvation mode" in which your body is surviving on it's muscle and storing fat is different.

I'm done. Thanks for listening.

Lose Weight: Eat Breakfast

Studies show making breakfast a daily habit can help you lose weight - and keep it off.
    By Jeanie Lerche Davis

WebMD FeatureReviewed by Louise Chang, MDWhat's for breakfast - coffee? Most mornings, we barely glance at the kitchen. Fixing breakfast takes up precious time that's in short supply. But there's ample evidence that the simple act of eating breakfast -- every day -- is a big part of losing weight, lots of weight.

"People skip breakfast thinking they're cutting calories, but by mid-morning and lunch, that person is starved," says Milton Stokes, RD, MPH, chief dietitian for St. Barnabas Hospital in New York City. "Breakfast skippers replace calories during the day with mindless nibbling, bingeing at lunch and dinner. They set themselves up for failure."

The Benefits of Breakfast
    Eating breakfast is a daily habit for the "successful losers" who belong to The National Weight Control Registry. These people have maintained a 30-pound (or more) weight loss for at least a year, and some as long as six years.

"Most -- 78% -- reported eating breakfast every day, and almost 90% reported eating breakfast at least five days a week - which suggests that starting the day with breakfast is an important strategy to lose weight and keep it off," says James O. Hill, PhD, the Registry's co-founder and director of the Center for Human Nutrition at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center.

Earlier this year, two studies in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association backed up this finding. Though they were funded by cereal companies, dietitians say they underscore the message - breakfast is important to weight loss.

A group of researchers analyzed data from a government-funded study that followed more than 2,000 young girls from ages 9 to 19. They found that regular cereal eaters had fewer weight problems than infrequent cereal eaters. Those who ate cereal occasionally had a 13% higher risk of being overweight compared to the regular cereal eaters.

Another research group analyzed government data on 4,200 adults. They found that regular breakfast eaters were more likely to exercise regularly. And women who ate breakfast regularly tended to eat fewer calories overall during the day. Those men and women who ate breakfast cereal had lower overall fat intake -- compared to those who ate other breakfast foods.

It makes sense: Eating early in the day keeps us from "starvation eating" later on. But it also jump-starts your metabolism, says Elisabetta Politi, RD, MPH, nutrition manager for the Duke Diet & Fitness Center at Duke University Medical School. "When you don't eat breakfast, you're actually fasting for 15 to 20 hours, so you're not producing the enzymes needed to metabolize fat to lose weight."

Among the people she counsels, breakfast eaters are usually those who have lost a significant amount of weight. They also exercise. "They say that before having breakfast regularly, they would eat most of their calories after 5 p.m.," Politi tells WebMD. "Now, they try to distribute calories throughout the day. It makes sense that the body wants to be fueled."

The Smart Breakfast
    If breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it's best to make wise food choices. That's where fruits, vegetables, and whole grains come into the picture. Because these are high-fiber foods, they fill you up - yet they bring less fat to the table, says Barbara J. Rolls, PhD, the Guthrie Chair in Nutrition at Pennsylvania State University in Pittsburgh and author of The Volumetrics Weight Control Plan.

These high-fiber foods allow you to eat more food yet get fewer calories. It's a concept called "energy density" - the number of calories in a specified amount of food, Rolls explains.

"Some foods - especially fats - are very energy dense, which means they have a lot of calories packed into a small size," Rolls tells WebMD. "However, foods that contain lots of water have very low energy density. Water itself has an energy density of zero. High-fiber foods like fruits, vegetables, and grains have low energy density."

Translation: If you eat foods with high energy density, such as bagels, you rack up calories quickly. If you eat high-fiber, low-energy-density foods - such as oatmeal, strawberries, walnuts, and low-fat yogurt -- you can eat more and get fewer calories.

A breakfast made up of 1 cup of oatmeal, 1/2lf cup of low-fat milk, 1 cup of sliced strawberries, and 1 tablespoon of walnuts has only 307 calories total. Two multi-grain waffles, with 1 cup of blueberries, 3 tablespoons of light syrup, and 1 cup of plain low-fat yogurt have about 450 calories total. That's almost equal to the standard bagel-and-cream-cheese breakfast - yet it's much more food, and much lower in fat.

Breakfast Fast and Easy
    A high-fiber cereal - 3 to 5 grams of fiber per serving -- is optimal, Stokes advises. "But don't overdo it if you're not used to it, because too much fiber can cause constipation, diarrhea, or an upset stomach."

As for sugary cereals, "it's better than nothing," he says. "Some breakfast is better than no breakfast. The last thing anyone should do is skip breakfast. Otherwise, you'll be eating something even worse later on - candy bars and potato chips -- because you're starving."

An even better option: "Some moms take sweetened cereal and mix it with unsweetened cereal. Or they take unsweetened cereal and mix it with something a little sugary -- yogurt or low-fat pudding."

Smart Breakfast Made Simple
    "Breakfast doesn't need to be elaborate," Stokes tells WebMD. "My philosophy is, the simpler the better." He keeps frozen blueberries or peaches on hand. "They're even more nutritious than fresh anyway because they are picked at peak time, and frozen immediately." Canned peaches (in natural juices, no sugar added) are also a good option.

Peanut butter, eggs, low-fat yogurt/milk are other good choices, he says.

Smart Breakfast Made Simple continued...
    His quick breakfast suggestions:

Banana with peanut butter
    Banana sliced into yogurt
    Oatmeal with fruit -- like apples, blueberries, or peaches
    Small tortilla with a few tablespoons of peanut butter and chopped strawberries. Roll it up, slice it. It works for kids and adults.
    Breakfast smoothies -- berries, ice, and milk or yogurt. "They're portable -- throw some in a cup, and you're out the door," he notes.
    As for the much-beloved bagel - sadly, it's the calorie equivalent of five slices of bread, says Stokes. "Just eat half. Better yet, don't bring them into your home. You'll just end up eating the whole thing so it won't go bad."

Best option: "Go for the smaller bagels, the little ones that are like hockey pucks. Spread some almond or cashew butter on it instead of cream cheese. People think cream cheese is a dairy food, but it's not -- it's fat. If you must have cream cheese, buy low-fat. Honestly there is no difference in taste. Add a little bit of jam, some sliced strawberries."

If on-the-run fast food breakfast sandwiches are your downfall, here's how to indulge in a healthy way: whole-grain English muffins, a cooked egg, low-fat cheese melted on top - ham or Canadian bacon optional. "It's portable. You can drive with that," Stokes says. "Sometimes for dinner, I'll have two of those if I don't feel like cooking."

If you love granola, read labels carefully, he advises. "Buy low-fat, and treat it as a condiment, not the main dish. If you treat it like the main, you'll eat too much fat and sugar."
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    All the other stuff aside, a light dinner of cereal and milk is probably a better choice than a heavy meal. There are so many theories out there about when we should finish eating for the day, the best advice is to not eat about 2 hours before bedtime. This allows for digestion to start taking place and for a better night's sleep (regardless of what you last ate).

Just read a study that showed that people who at 1/3 to 1/2 of all their daily calories in the morning lost more weight than those that saved the big meal for the end of the day...and...they had better maintenance results as well.

As far as the "conversation" going on about starvation mode and just being hungry it is obvious that both sides feel they are right and although I agree with one more than the other it is up to all of us as individuals to research and educate ourselves about how our bodies work as well as using some trial and error....because there are different body and dieting types for people and what works for you may not work for person A or B.

Now, go eat your cereal! :drinker:
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Actually, I think I'm more offended at the way you approached it rather than telling me I was wrong. I know it's difficult to type softly, but sometimes your attitude speaks so loudly it is difficult to hear what you are trying to say.

And thank you astarte09. I appreciate your support. Just because we do not like what we hear, does not mean it is not true. 8 hours during the day without food and our bodies prepare for starvation. I've read it a thousand times.

I would like to see where you have read that...................I have not read anything that backs up that not eating for 8 hours (whether wake or sleep) puts your body in starvation mode............

If that is the case, then people that do fasting on a regular basis for religious or spiritual reasons are putting themselves into starvation mode.

That is just not so................

I have done fasts to cleanse and detox and I have not been in starvation mode any of those times. It actually does the body good to go without every once in a while.

Starvation mode as I have read it and how it has been explained to me is going a long term time frame with a very low caloric intake...............

Like less than a 1000 calories per day for an extended period of time.

Your body does not recognize starvation after a few short hours.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    This is part of what i have been referring to...plus, I'm confident that what I have read and been told is accurate. Whatever works for you is excellent. However, being hungry and "starvation mode" in which your body is surviving on it's muscle and storing fat is different.

I'm done. Thanks for listening.

Lose Weight: Eat Breakfast

Studies show making breakfast a daily habit can help you lose weight - and keep it off.
    By Jeanie Lerche Davis

WebMD FeatureReviewed by Louise Chang, MDWhat's for breakfast - coffee? Most mornings, we barely glance at the kitchen. Fixing breakfast takes up precious time that's in short supply. But there's ample evidence that the simple act of eating breakfast -- every day -- is a big part of losing weight, lots of weight.

"People skip breakfast thinking they're cutting calories, but by mid-morning and lunch, that person is starved," says Milton Stokes, RD, MPH, chief dietitian for St. Barnabas Hospital in New York City. "Breakfast skippers replace calories during the day with mindless nibbling, bingeing at lunch and dinner. They set themselves up for failure."

The Benefits of Breakfast
    Eating breakfast is a daily habit for the "successful losers" who belong to The National Weight Control Registry. These people have maintained a 30-pound (or more) weight loss for at least a year, and some as long as six years.

"Most -- 78% -- reported eating breakfast every day, and almost 90% reported eating breakfast at least five days a week - which suggests that starting the day with breakfast is an important strategy to lose weight and keep it off," says James O. Hill, PhD, the Registry's co-founder and director of the Center for Human Nutrition at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center.

Earlier this year, two studies in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association backed up this finding. Though they were funded by cereal companies, dietitians say they underscore the message - breakfast is important to weight loss.

A group of researchers analyzed data from a government-funded study that followed more than 2,000 young girls from ages 9 to 19. They found that regular cereal eaters had fewer weight problems than infrequent cereal eaters. Those who ate cereal occasionally had a 13% higher risk of being overweight compared to the regular cereal eaters.

Another research group analyzed government data on 4,200 adults. They found that regular breakfast eaters were more likely to exercise regularly. And women who ate breakfast regularly tended to eat fewer calories overall during the day. Those men and women who ate breakfast cereal had lower overall fat intake -- compared to those who ate other breakfast foods.

It makes sense: Eating early in the day keeps us from "starvation eating" later on. But it also jump-starts your metabolism, says Elisabetta Politi, RD, MPH, nutrition manager for the Duke Diet & Fitness Center at Duke University Medical School. "When you don't eat breakfast, you're actually fasting for 15 to 20 hours, so you're not producing the enzymes needed to metabolize fat to lose weight."

Among the people she counsels, breakfast eaters are usually those who have lost a significant amount of weight. They also exercise. "They say that before having breakfast regularly, they would eat most of their calories after 5 p.m.," Politi tells WebMD. "Now, they try to distribute calories throughout the day. It makes sense that the body wants to be fueled."

The Smart Breakfast
    If breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it's best to make wise food choices. That's where fruits, vegetables, and whole grains come into the picture. Because these are high-fiber foods, they fill you up - yet they bring less fat to the table, says Barbara J. Rolls, PhD, the Guthrie Chair in Nutrition at Pennsylvania State University in Pittsburgh and author of The Volumetrics Weight Control Plan.

These high-fiber foods allow you to eat more food yet get fewer calories. It's a concept called "energy density" - the number of calories in a specified amount of food, Rolls explains.

"Some foods - especially fats - are very energy dense, which means they have a lot of calories packed into a small size," Rolls tells WebMD. "However, foods that contain lots of water have very low energy density. Water itself has an energy density of zero. High-fiber foods like fruits, vegetables, and grains have low energy density."

Translation: If you eat foods with high energy density, such as bagels, you rack up calories quickly. If you eat high-fiber, low-energy-density foods - such as oatmeal, strawberries, walnuts, and low-fat yogurt -- you can eat more and get fewer calories.

A breakfast made up of 1 cup of oatmeal, 1/2lf cup of low-fat milk, 1 cup of sliced strawberries, and 1 tablespoon of walnuts has only 307 calories total. Two multi-grain waffles, with 1 cup of blueberries, 3 tablespoons of light syrup, and 1 cup of plain low-fat yogurt have about 450 calories total. That's almost equal to the standard bagel-and-cream-cheese breakfast - yet it's much more food, and much lower in fat.

Breakfast Fast and Easy
    A high-fiber cereal - 3 to 5 grams of fiber per serving -- is optimal, Stokes advises. "But don't overdo it if you're not used to it, because too much fiber can cause constipation, diarrhea, or an upset stomach."

As for sugary cereals, "it's better than nothing," he says. "Some breakfast is better than no breakfast. The last thing anyone should do is skip breakfast. Otherwise, you'll be eating something even worse later on - candy bars and potato chips -- because you're starving."

An even better option: "Some moms take sweetened cereal and mix it with unsweetened cereal. Or they take unsweetened cereal and mix it with something a little sugary -- yogurt or low-fat pudding."

Smart Breakfast Made Simple
    "Breakfast doesn't need to be elaborate," Stokes tells WebMD. "My philosophy is, the simpler the better." He keeps frozen blueberries or peaches on hand. "They're even more nutritious than fresh anyway because they are picked at peak time, and frozen immediately." Canned peaches (in natural juices, no sugar added) are also a good option.

Peanut butter, eggs, low-fat yogurt/milk are other good choices, he says.

Smart Breakfast Made Simple continued...
    His quick breakfast suggestions:

Banana with peanut butter
    Banana sliced into yogurt
    Oatmeal with fruit -- like apples, blueberries, or peaches
    Small tortilla with a few tablespoons of peanut butter and chopped strawberries. Roll it up, slice it. It works for kids and adults.
    Breakfast smoothies -- berries, ice, and milk or yogurt. "They're portable -- throw some in a cup, and you're out the door," he notes.
    As for the much-beloved bagel - sadly, it's the calorie equivalent of five slices of bread, says Stokes. "Just eat half. Better yet, don't bring them into your home. You'll just end up eating the whole thing so it won't go bad."

Best option: "Go for the smaller bagels, the little ones that are like hockey pucks. Spread some almond or cashew butter on it instead of cream cheese. People think cream cheese is a dairy food, but it's not -- it's fat. If you must have cream cheese, buy low-fat. Honestly there is no difference in taste. Add a little bit of jam, some sliced strawberries."

If on-the-run fast food breakfast sandwiches are your downfall, here's how to indulge in a healthy way: whole-grain English muffins, a cooked egg, low-fat cheese melted on top - ham or Canadian bacon optional. "It's portable. You can drive with that," Stokes says. "Sometimes for dinner, I'll have two of those if I don't feel like cooking."

If you love granola, read labels carefully, he advises. "Buy low-fat, and treat it as a condiment, not the main dish. If you treat it like the main, you'll eat too much fat and sugar."

Well, Web-MD is in the advertisers pocket, so they will try and sell anything...........

I used to trust Web-MD on their info..............I do not trust anything they say any more.
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Bottom line-
    If you have the calories left, by all means, go ahead a have a bowl of cereal. It won't hurt anything. I do it quit often, especially when I don't feel like cooking or eating anything big.

Memaw
  • nikki4ever
    nikki4ever Posts: 116
    Options
    THANKS GUYS!:)
  • Brandiann
    Brandiann Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Yes you can, I do sometimes if I've eaten a late lunch and don't want a big dinner.
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I think it takes a few days of consistently low calories to fall into starvation mode (as in, your body starts eating itself).

Anyway, carbs before bed (like, after 7 PM) are a definite NO for me. I don't need fast-acting energy to go to sleep...I'd rather eat my carbs for breakfast and let them fuel me throughout the day. Just a thought...good luck to you!

M
  • vanessadawn
    vanessadawn Posts: 249
    Options
    I'm sorry I have to jump in, but your comments do seem a little offensive, or at least a little strong. People have their own opinions, and theories. I have heard several theories that state Starvation Mode (where your body holds onto fat) doesn't EVEN exist! Not to say I believe that but please keep an open mind, and do what works for you. by the by, on the original topic I love eating cereal for supper, especially my All Bran Flakes! :flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I love cereal any time of day.

Cocoa Pebbles for dessert are great!! :laugh: :laugh: :blushing:
  • cjm0014
    cjm0014 Posts: 118
    Options
    guess what i had for dinner tonight? 1 cup of original special k with 1/2 cup of fiber one honey clusters! and skim milk! i do this every once in awhile and its perfect
    enjoy yours :)
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I hate special K. :( Honey Bunches of Oats with strawberries is the only cereal I'll eat.
    I have it mixed with light yogurt. Yummm...
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the vanilla flavored special K! However, I try avoiding cereal because I end up eating for EVERY meal! mmmm...every once and a while I'll buy like musilix or granola, but that Special K is addictive! But it's a great meal! Plus, I love reverse eating, breakfast for dinner, more calories first thing in the morning and less at night :smile:
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    ways to speed up metabolism
    Seven Quick Ways To Speed Up Your Metabolism and Burn
    Fat Faster
    by Nick Nilsson

The speed of your metabolism is the real key to burning fat quickly and efficiently. Here are seven easy tips for boosting your metabolic rate.Your metabolism or metabolic rate can determine exactly how quickly you gain or lose fat. Here are some quick tips you can put to use immediately to help crank up your metabolism and increase your fat burning.

1. Eat Breakfast
    It’s no myth that breakfast is the most important meal of
    the day. If you skip breakfast thinking you are saving
    calories or time, consider this…
    Your body has been in a fasting state for 8 hours or more.
    When you wake up and don’t give it any food, its natural
    reaction is self-defense. It thinks “famine” and
    automatically slows your metabolism to a crawl to conserve
    calories. Not only does everything you eat for the rest
    of the day have a far greater chance of being stored as
    fat, your chances of burning any fat off that day are low.
    And here’s the whammy… you’re going to get really hungry
    later and will probably want to eat something that’s not so
    good for you. With your now-slower metabolism (because you
    skipped breakfast), you’re going to store a lot more of
    that “not-so-great” meal than usual.

2. Eat Frequently
    Besides skipping breakfast, the next biggest metabolism-
    killer is long waits between meals. Every time you eat
    something, your metabolism ramps up to process the food.
    The more frequently you eat, the more frequently your
    metabolism will get a boost.
    The real key, however, is to be sure you’re eating smaller
    meals (eating 5 big meals instead of 3 big meals isn’t good
    for losing fat!). Try to eat 5 or more times per day, even
    if it’s just healthy snacks between meals.
    3. Exercise With Intensity
    Your metabolic rate is directly related to the intensity of
    the exercise you perform. Walking will burn calories while
    you’re doing it and give your metabolism a small boost for
    a little while after but it doesn’t compare to high-
    intensity interval training. That type of training can
    boost your metabolism for a full 24 hours or more after.
    Even if you can’t handle high-intensity training, you can
    always find ways to make the easier exercises such as
    walking more intense, e.g. walk faster, walk up hills, wear
    a weighted back-pack, etc.
    4. Train With Weights
    Weight training builds muscle and muscle is a huge factor
    in determining your metabolic rate. Muscle tissue is very
    metabolically active. Your body burns a lot of calories
    just to maintain it.
    Weight training gives your metabolism a triple-shot. Not
    only do you burn calories during the exercise, you also
    increase your metabolic rate long after the exercise
    (provided the training you are doing is intense). Add to
    that the extra muscle you build from the training and you
    can see how effective weights can be for boosting your
    metabolism.
    5. Eat More Protein
    Of the three major macronutrients (protein, carbohydrates
    and fats), protein requires the most energy to digest.
    Protein is also less likely to be stored as fat because of
    this. Protein will also help you to build up your muscle.
    I don’t recommend that you overload on protein, however,
    focusing on getting plenty of good-quality protein from a
    variety of sources (e.g. lean meats, chicken, fish, eggs,
    soy, etc.) can help keep your metabolic rate high.
    6. Take Your Vitamins
    Your metabolic rate basically boils down to chemical
    reactions in your body. Vitamins and minerals (and water)
    are important parts of these chemical reactions. If you
    don’t have enough of these components available for your
    body to use when it needs them, your body will have to
    limit itself to what you’ve got.
    Think of your metabolism as a car assembly line. You can’t
    build a complete car until you have all the parts available.
    If, for example, you only have enough doors available to
    build 100 cars but you have 200 doorless cars on the line,
    you’re missing out on a lot of potential production.
    By taking a multivitamin on a regular basis, you will not
    only support your metabolism but your health as well.
    7. Reduce Your Fat Intake
    Fatty foods take longer for your body to digest and they
    leave you feeling fuller longer. While not being hungry
    is certainly fine when trying to lose fat, eating meals
    that encourage you to wait longer periods between eating
    can slow your metabolism.
    This goes back to the point about eating frequently. If
    you eat fatty foods for breakfast, you may not want to eat
    anything again until lunch, which could be 5 or more hours
    away. Ideally, you should eat approximately every 3 hours.
    If you’re looking to give your metabolism a boost, give
    these tips a try. A faster metabolic rate can help you
    tremendously with fat loss.
    http://www.trulyhuge.com/news/tips63ic.htm