quitting soda

Options

Replies

• AreneeG31
    AreneeG31 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hi, Im Amanda and I am addicted to Diet Coke! :)

I stopped drinking regular soda years ago, but as we all know, diet soda is worse bc of the artificial sugar. I have done well tho by slowly weaning myself off so I limit myself to no more than 2 12oz cans a day(I would drink them all day long and nothing else) and here lately i am not even finishing one of the cans. I can go days without having it, but If I find myself needing one I go ahead and drink one and my craving is usually gone and wont drink anymore.

I try not to deprive myself of anything, but I definately have to exercise self control and moderation! Good Luck to you!!
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    I traded my Coke for beers. I don't know if that will be of help to you but I do benefit more from drinking beer. At least I feel like I'm smarter, funnier, and a good dancer. :)
  • jtaylor7227
    Options
    3-4 cases of diet cherry pepsi a week...it's liquid crack... I have tried to quit multiple times, but have found it quite the daunting challenge. On days when I can stay away from soda the thing that I miss/crave the most is the carbonation. I think I will try the carbonated water approach to weeing. Wish me luck.
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i was totally addicted, then i starting drinking club soda, i like the bubbles...that did it for me. Also, it is like crack, once you are off the junk STAY AWAY!! It sucks you back in..

I was totally addicted to diet coke until i realized it was making my stomach bleed...(took 7 years of suffering and testing to figure that one out)... Go cold turkey and switch to flavored seltzer (naturally flavored and sodium free), and unsweetened iced tea. And of course good, old H20! Good luck and stick with it. Your body will thank you.
  • just_dad
    just_dad Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I drank 5 16 ouonce Diet Mt. Dews a day for at least 20 years. 3 weeks ago I stopped. Cold Turkey is the only way to go. I have a water bottle with me everywhere I go now. I flavor it with Mio. I have noticed that I do not crash at 4pm. i also do not crave sugar at all. Good Luck it is a tough habit to stop.
  • cutie2b
    cutie2b Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am a coke addict. I had to quit cold turkey. I did make some rules for myself to work up to quitting cold turkey. For starters, I stopped buying it to keep at home - no two liters or cans at home. I could buy a can or a 20oz from the vending machines when out or at work, but no big massive bottles sitting at home. Then, I started not having it on weekends or when eating out. I wanted to eat more, so I get club soda with lime when out to dinner or just plain water with lemon. After that, I quit cold turkey. I reminded myself, I just had to get through 5 days. That was my challenge. Then, I set a goal to get through 9 days - the length it takes for caffeine to leave the body completely and withdrawal from caffeine to stop. Then, I set a goal to get to 21 days, which is when sugar withdrawal stops. Then, 30 days. Then, 40 days. Then, 6 months. Then, 1 year. I've been soda free for 1.5 years now. :) It was still a struggle even 6 months into it, but now it's not as much of one.
  • BreakingUpWithObesity2013
    Options
    I switched to one diet mt dew a day...took a while to get used to the taste but now its the only pop i can drink. And im sure I'll get hounded on here bc "diet pop is SO bad for you" but I disagree..
  • miss_missa07
    Options
    I gave up soda about a year ago for health reasons beyond loosing weight (I was having heart problems due to the caffeine), and I just replaced each soda I drank with a glass of milk or water. It's hard to quit cold turkey, but after the first month, you really don't miss it at all.

Although I do miss myself an ice-cold Ski every now and then. *sigh*
  • melkithall
    melkithall Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO HEAR SUGGESTIONS!! IM ADDICTED TO DIET MT DEW!! I CALL IT MY LIQUID CRACK! IVE TRIED TO GIVE IT UP BUT I JUST CANT!!

I have felt this way so many times, with Mt. Dew. I've given it up probably five times now, for different periods of time. Somehow, I get sucked back into the habit and start drinking it again. Last time I tried losing weight I switched to diet and adjusted to it just fine. I still lost weight, too. Of course, I gained the weight back when I stopped exercising and dieting, but it didn't have to do with the Dew. Anyways, I have been almost seven months now without any Dew or caffeine at all. What really helped me is I had a baby in June. I didn't want the caffeine to go to him through my milk and keep him up, so I just quit cold turkey. I had one Dew the day before I went to the hospital to have him and haven't a sip since. It's was harder at first, with the headaches I always get when I'm go off caffeine. But, I was exhausted anyways from having a newborn, so I just pushed through it. It's easier now to resist. I don't even get the craving much anymore. I'm hoping this time giving it up will stick and I won't let that habit come back. I've lost over 50 lbs since having my baby and I drink a lot of water. When I get the sweet tooth craving that used to have me reaching for Dew I have two things I reach for instead. I really like the Mio water flavoring. You can add a little or a lot to your water depending on how strong you want it. Or, if I really need the bubbles, I have a Fresca. I couldn't give up soda for good, and Fresca has no calories and comes in a few different flavors. I love the plain, but enjoy the peach ones too. That's how I've kicked my habit. Good luck to you!!!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Seeking some advice on ways to quit soda. I am addicted to Pepsi. I always try to quit, but find myself craving it. I don't want to just switch to diet because I don't think that is good for you either. .. Should I just slowly try to cut back?? It's so frustrating! So many wasted calories... Anyone else with this problem??
    I quit drinking sodas years ago, including diet drinks.

Water is just better, and I squeeze some lemon in it.
    It took some getting used to, but I would never go back to what I call poison in a can.

Bottom line is that pure water is the best drink for health - fact.
    Also, I enjoy green tea.
    Just ramp back slowly and give it time.

Good luck!
  • thejackswild79
    Options
    I was a hard core Coke drinker. It was scary how many calories I consumed from soda alone. I stopped drinking it and first replaced it with Crystal Light because I wanted flavor then it was on to just plain water which I now love. Overtime I realized I would drink practically anything you put on my desk whether it was Coke, Starbucks or water.

I still need caffeine so I am not beyond a non-fat iced latte or sugar free Red Bull but not nearly at the level of my soda consumption. LOL! At restaurants, I order a water with lemon.
  • KatRat416
    KatRat416 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with trying this MANY times.....All of a sudden, this time it was easy! I was drinking nothing but soda....several a day (mt. dew, dr pepper and pepsi as well as sweet...and I mean SWEET tea). I decided when I started my weigh loss that I would cut it out completely....and I did. I haven't had a real soda since October 2nd and the only diet soda I've had has been a total of 1 liter in mixed drinks (not all at once) :) I don't know why this time was different for me....Once in a while I have a craving, but I remind myself that if I drink it...it will be harder to stop again and pick up my water instead. The one time I tried a diet soda (coke zero which I used to LOVE) with a meal at chick fil a, I had a sip and threw it out because I hated it.

I would suggest trying to cut back first and start in with water instead and slowly work your way to all water or whatever you want to replace the soda with. You CAN do it!
  • cschwall
    cschwall Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey also. Totally took my self off of caffeine. I drink water and decaf unsweetened tea and occassionally diet caffeine free soda. The headache was ridiculous but I got through it!
  • kaylenlawrence
    kaylenlawrence Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I would slowly cut back..some people have the mind set to cut it all together and some people need to be weened off..

I would suggest drinking a glass of water before and after you indulge on a pepsi
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I pretty much only drink soda when we go out to eat - and then I only have one glass and then water. my boyfriend is addicted to soda too - diet soda - and he won't give it up - has no desire too (not good I know!) -- but for caffeine I either have hot tea (unsweetened), iced tea *unsweetened too*, or I add instant coffee to my protein shakes for a little kick. You can just put the dry instant coffee right in and it tastes good - especially with chocolate protein.... and if it's carbonation I want, I have the sparkling waters (fruity flavors) from wal-mart. does the trick - with no sugar, calories, carbs, or sodium!
  • EmilyLStuart
    Options
    be careful about replacing sugar soda with diet soda or crystal light...anything with artificial sweetners are not good for weight loss or general health, even without the calories. I drink water (w/ lemon when I can) and unsweet tea.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    quickest way to quit is to look for the article about the mouse in the can of mountain dew.. If it's supposed to turn it into a jelly substance then just imagine what it is doing to your body :(
  • asgard825
    asgard825 Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Totally off Soda now--Drinking SoBe Zero water. Great variety, available at Costco & has natural sugar substitute as a sweetner
  • Iris_Jay
    Options
    I can't quit drinking sodas. What I do is I leave them for the weekend. During the week, I don't keep them in my house. I only drink them if we go out to eat on weekends. I give myself an inner "high five" if I order water while eating at a restaurant or fast food on weekends.
  • ashleylynnexo
    ashleylynnexo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I had a coca cola problem, and after I stopped drinking it I actually now don't even like the taste of it. Switching to sprite actually helped me stop drinking much carbonated drinks (including sprite) completely. When we go out to eat I usually will get a sprite, or mr. pibb or fruit punch but that's about it. Now I just need to stop drinking orange juice. I drink a lot of diet green tea by turkey hill. I think green tea too has caffeine in it so that must be what is helping with my caffeine withdraw being almost non-existant. In the summer I find it easy to drink tons of water but not in the winter, I only drink about 2 cups a day lately.