spinach ideas

Options
cgrout78
cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
So the grocery store has spinach on sale this week...like 1.50 a bag, so I bought 2 bags today. Now I have no idea what to do with it? Help?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Olive oil, minced garlic, pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, add spinach, saute until wilted, season with salt and pepper. You can't go wrong!

I also love spinach and feta omelets. Another fav is spinach salad: sliced strawberries, torn spinach leaves, chopped walnuts, feta cheese, and a balsamic vinaigrette.

These are REALLY good and low cal:
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/parmesan_spinach_cakes.html

Or you can always wilt it and freeze it for a later use.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I will toss it in with pasta. I just put a few big handfuls of it in the colander and drain the pasta over it. It will slightly wilt the spinach, but it won't get mushy and tasteless.

We also use it on a sandwich instead of lettuce. I actually prefer fresh spinach to lettuce in my salads.

Chop it and add it to soup. Great addition to homemade minestrone.
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    Dice up green & red pepper, fresh mango, dash sea salt..fresh pepper toss..yummy
  • Jdubmarie
    Jdubmarie Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I put it in smoothies. I know sounds totally gross, but you can't even taste it. I put a little bit of peanut butter in mine and all I taste is the peanut butter but you get the nutrients of the spinach.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Tend to add it when making pasta. Also great raw in salads
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    -almond milk
    -truvia
    -cocoa powder
    -peppermint extract
    -spinach
    -ice
    =low cal mint chocolate chip smoothie. My favorite!
  • KacieHetrick
    KacieHetrick Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Take it for lunch! It makes a great salad! Take a clementine and granny smith apple, dice the apple and cut the clementine in half, squeeze the juice as a dressing and pull the orange meat out to toss in the salad! So refreshing!
  • dedication6
    dedication6 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If you like cottage cheese...I love fresh spinach w/ cottage cheese. If you want to mix it up, toss in some manderin oranges or peaches.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Put it with a bit of a lowfat, unsweetened, plain yogurt (thin is better), some garlic, salt and pepper and it's a low calorie creamed spinach.
    Add a little bit of low fat feta cheese, garlic and dill for a greek tasting spinach (which is a great side dish for a nice piece of fish. Nice iron rich meal to boost your energy.).
    And yeah spinach and feta omlettes. Or spinach and mushroom omlettes.
  • Gemnildy
    Gemnildy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    -almond milk
    -truvia
    -cocoa powder
    -peppermint extract
    -spinach
    -ice

Sounds YUMMY!
  • jbdowns35
    jbdowns35 Posts: 352
    Options
    You can do a MILLION things with spinach!!!! Put it in everything, even spaghetti sauce or soups, eggs, wraps, the possibilities are enfless. But if you don't use it up before it starts to go bad, just chop it up, put it in a bag & freeze it.
  • Jdubmarie
    Jdubmarie Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    -almond milk
    -truvia
    -cocoa powder
    -peppermint extract
    -spinach
    -ice

Yum!!! I'll have to try this!

• MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I do spinach smoothies, too! Start my day off with veg.
  • cgrout78
    Options
    a spinach smoothie sounds really good and healthy....always looking for ways to boost my veggie intake!!!

there were a couple recipes on the skinnytaste.com site, but those used frozen, not fresh, and I don't know how to adjust for that.
  • artcaro1972
    Options
    I put it in smoothies. I know sounds totally gross, but you can't even taste it. I put a little bit of peanut butter in mine and all I taste is the peanut butter but you get the nutrients of the spinach.

Yes! Smoothies. I go through 3-5 bags a week in my smoothies. It's a wonder I'm not overdosing in Vit A. Hmmm.

2c Spinach + 1/2c Berries or Pineapple or any fruit + a tbsp of PB if you need fat + some water and blend.

Add a scoop of whey or soy protein and you have a meal.

NOTE: You can throw in almost non-starchy veg and herbs you like. Ginger is great.
  • cgrout78
    Options

Yes! Smoothies. I go through 3-5 bags a week in my smoothies. It's a wonder I'm not overdosing in Vit A. Hmmm.

2c Spinach + 1/2c Berries or Pineapple or any fruit + a tbsp of PB if you need fat + some water and blend.

Add a scoop of whey or soy protein and you have a meal.

NOTE: You can throw in almost non-starchy veg and herbs you like. Ginger is great.

ok...that does sound super delicious....ummm...fresh or frozen fruit? And I can just use my stick blender? Can you tell I don't do this much?
  • KimmieSue2011
    KimmieSue2011 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I make a greek chicken soup
    chicken broth (or make your own)
    chicken
    chickpeas
    onions
    garlic
    lemon zest
    lemon juice
    salt and pepper to taste
    fresh sage

make the soup then at the last minute when you are going to eat it, fill bowl with fresh spinach then put soup over it .yum!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Salad:

Spinach
    Feta Cheese
    Dried cranberries
    Mandarin Oranges or Clementines
    Cooked chicken breast cut up
    EVOO Vinaigrette

YUM!!
  • danniellexxx
    Options
    steamed with some fish....
    steamed and eat as a snack or just have it as a snack cold...
    steamed and mixed with pasta and a light cheese sauce...
    Spinach is good with most things, i love it :D
  • jenmcdav
    Options
    i like to make stuffed mushrooms with it. buy some portabella caps, hollow out the inside a little and marinate them in balsaminc vinegar.
    take the mushroom insides, and sautee them in evoo with some cut up red pepper strips and garlic, add the spinch in to wilt it. cook the mushroom caps under the broiler until they start to get soft. take them out and fill them up with the spinach mixture. if you want, you can throw some pinenuts or lowfat shredded cheese on top and broil again until the cheese is melte- although it doesn't really need it.