spinach ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    a spinach smoothie sounds really good and healthy....always looking for ways to boost my veggie intake!!!

there were a couple recipes on the skinnytaste.com site, but those used frozen, not fresh, and I don't know how to adjust for that.

You can increase the cooking time and you'll need about 3-4 times the spinach to make up for the frozen. Or you can wilt it quickly in the microwave. Put it in a bowl with a few teaspoons of water. cover and microwave for about 2 minutes. It should decrease alot. Use like frozen from there. The retain the bright color, dunk it in some ice water for about a minute to stop the cooking process.

Also, if you are too lazy to mak e sauteed spinach, try the following.

Add about 3 cups of raw spinach, 2 tablespoons of water, dash of garlic powder and a dash of chili flakes to a microwave safe bowl. Cover it and microwave for 2-3 minutes. Take it out, add salt and pepper to taste and a teaspoon of olive oil. Mix well. This is just as tasty as sauteeing. You can also do the same with frozen spinach, just adjust the serving size.

You can also make a spinach pesto. Follow the directions for basil pesto, but swap it for spinach.
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I make a spinach mushroom lasagna and use whole wheat noodles, recipe is on the Cooking Light website.
  • cariliz
    cariliz Posts: 82
    Options
    Another fav is spinach salad: sliced strawberries, torn spinach leaves, chopped walnuts, feta cheese, and a balsamic vinaigrette.

This is the bomb!!!! lol One of my favs!

Or toss it with some cooked orzo pasta, grilled chicken, tomatoes, onions, garlic, black olives, pine nuts....olive oil & balsamic vinegar. Nom!
  • learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    add it to omelletes or quiche.
    Make salads,
    add it to your chicken salad sandwhiches, add to cassaroles or smoothies.
    Spinach is my absolute favourite veggie in the world. You can incorporate it into almost any meal,for any time of the day.
  • urbanmasala
    urbanmasala Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    -almond milk
    -truvia
    -cocoa powder
    -peppermint extract
    -spinach
    -ice
    =low cal mint chocolate chip smoothie. My favorite!

Oh, now this sounds delish! Must try it. Thanks for sharing. ;-)
  • HollyStocking
    Options
    On whole garin toast with artichoke hearts, cukes, tomatoes shredded cheese and pesto. Best sandwich ever!
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I love it as a salad with chicken, feta cheese and pecans! :) Yum
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Salmon and Spinach = YUMMY!!

Sautee the spinach in white wine and olive oil and then some lemon juice and a pinch of garlic.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Spinach Skordalia/Dip:
    Blanch a heap of spinach (1kg)
    Blend with garlic, 1/4 cup lemon juice, walnuts (or alternative) - original recipe also included 1/2 cup wter with 2/3 cup breadcrumbs
    Drizzle in 1/4 cup olive oil with blender running to emulsify

Use with lamb, probably work for beef as well, or as a dip.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I put spinach in homemade mac n cheese.
  • rzavesky
    rzavesky Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love make cream spinach. Cambells fat free cream of mushroom soup, white onion chopped into small pieces, and the spinach cooked down. It's so yummy, like a comfort food but it's a vegi!