Running Shoes

Options
13»

Replies

• ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I am a runner and the running shoes I use are the vibram toe shoes I LOVE THEM! I run faster and I dont jolt my body like I did with the bulk tennis shoes:

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm

If you want the feel of Vibram five fingers but don't want to look like a geek, New Balance makes the minimus. It looks like a normal shoe.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I just started the couch 2 5 K and after 2 sessions have decided I really need running shoes. I'm currently wearing some old new balance cross trainers. I'm unemployed, but have about $50 in Christmas money. We also have a nike outlet, reebok outlet and new balance outlet close by.

Any suggestions of shoes I should look at?

I see you are in Raleigh. Go to Fleet Feet, Omega Sports, Try Sports, or Raleigh Running Outfitters.

I used Fleet Feet Sports in my town, and the guy was wonderful. He spent over an hour with my daughter and me. He even helped me find a pair for my daughter off the sale table. She is only 13, and her feet are still growing, so I didn't want to spend a huge amount of money on shoes for her that she will outgrow before she wears them out (she's only allowed to use them for running and gym class at school, not everyday wear). He helped me get a good fit. Our Fleet Feet also has a running group; we'll be going to an informational meeting this Saturday to see about joining.

Anywhere that is good will take measurements of your foot, have you walk across the room so they can observe your gait, etc. They'll bring out several pairs of shoes for you to try, and they'll check the fit of each one. They'll also make sure you walk in them for several minutes. Fleet Feet also told me if I went on a couple of runs and the shoes didn't seem to be working for me to bring them back and they'd work with me to find the right fit.
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I bought a good pair of ASICS Gel shoes about 3 months ago and have not looked back. From a person who was a true couch potato, they have made a real difference to me. They have particularly helped with knee pain when jogging/running and let me jog/run and even walk for longer.

A few tips:
    - Make sure you buy running shoes rather than walking shoes or even cross-training shoes if you intend to use the shoes for running. Yes a good cross-trainer may be almost as good, but a running shoe is better designed for running. If in doubt, ask which shoes are specifically designed for running (the ASICS I purchased where designed for running).
    - To maximise shoe life, I only wear my new running shoes when running or walking extended distances. I use my old cross-trainers for slower (and shorter distance) walking, to strength train and when playing touch footie which I enjoy.
    - I would suggest that you buy a reputable brand (such as ASICS, Nike etc) and buy the best shoe (for you) that you can buy. If you cannot afford the best shoe for you, save up a little more. It may prove false economy to get a "cheapie" that ultimately harms you.
    - Be careful if buying through ebay. You can nab a bargain but you may also buy a counterfeit product that offers inferior support. If in doubt compare shoes to those stocked in a reputable store.

Hope that helps. I'm certainly no running expert (I can only jog/run 3.5kms) but I do know enough that I can say that a decent shoe DOES make a real difference.
  • amhamlin
    amhamlin Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like Saucony. My Nikes I spent 90 + on and they KILL my feet. I'm good in them up to 3 miles then they start pinching and rubbing. ICK! When I wear my Saucony, I'm golden! ;)
  • anilyze
    anilyze Posts: 67
    Options
    I am a runner and the running shoes I use are the vibram toe shoes I LOVE THEM! I run faster and I dont jolt my body like I did with the bulk tennis shoes:

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm

I wear the Vibram Bikilas. They're great. I was in Saucony's that I got fitted with at a specialty running store and TNF trail shoes when on the trail. I was having knee and lower back pain running. I switched to the Bikilas and I have ZERO pain.

Especially if you are overweight, it's important to be easy on the joints and being barefoot or in very minimal shoes (through which you can feel the ground better without a lot of cushioning) go a long way towards teaching you correct form that minimizes impact forces. Cushioning in your shoe helps the bottom of your feet not to feel the impact, but your knees, back, and so forth are still affected and you can injure yourself.

Try something minimal before you spend money on the shoes the running stores will recommend. They don't stay in business by telling you the truth -- that there's no evidence that any of those shoes help prevent injury.
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I recommend , since you live in Raleigh, go to Try Sports. They are a great local business. Get fitted and let them know your budget. if the prices are too high, then take the information from the fitting and go out in search of shoes at other stores.

Search for closeouts and last year shoes. Search for coupons and specials. Good luck and welcome to the running world.
  • jeepwidow01
    Options
    I would recommend going to a running store as well and getting fitted. After finding the best ones for you, search amazon. com or even zappos.com. I order a lot of my shoes on zappos because of the size of my feet - I have difficulties finding them in regular shoe stores.

While you certainly can do that, I don't recommend it. Someone is taking their time to work with you and get you fitted with the right shoes. Have the courtesy to buy from them. If you chose to buy online in the future, then so be it... but get that first pair from the person that took the time to fit your properly.

I recommended that she do this since she said that cost is an issue and I found the same pair of shoes I tried at a running store online for 1/2 the cost. Budget does have to play a part as well :wink:
  • CandyR1018
    CandyR1018 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the feedback! This definitely gives me place to start! As I have over 75 pounds to lose the thought of running in front of someone is horrifying! Right now I run the perimeter of a 6ft privacy fence! (We are on about an acre).
  • mimaduck83
    mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have New Balance with major stability - complete over pronator! Love them!
  • anilyze
    anilyze Posts: 67
    Options
    Just came across this research study.

Custom fitted shoes don't prevent injury...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/07/07/us-running-shoes-idUSTRE6665PZ20100707

PASTED from article

Shoe companies market different sneaker models to runners based on how their feet roll and distribute their weight when they hit the ground -- a term referred to as pronation.

Overpronators have feet that roll too far inward on each stride, while the feet of underpronators don't roll enough. Shoes are marketed under the assumption that by adjusting for some of these differences, runners can improve their mechanics and thus prevent injury.

Pronation is generally measured by taking a flat footprint and examining how much of the foot is in contact with the ground when the runner is standing still, a method used by many running specialty stores. But Marine Corps recruits who were fitted for sneakers this way got injured just as frequently as those who were all given a basic shoe made for runners who pronate normally.

During the study, Knapik and his colleagues kept track of different kinds of injuries in the recruits, including overuse injuries and injuries to tendons and ligaments as well as bones and muscles.

In every way the study team measured injuries, there was little difference in how often members of the two groups got injured. This was true for both men and women.

In all, about 42 percent of men assigned custom fitted shoes and 41 percent of men in the stability shoe group got injured over the 12-week training period. For women, approximately 37 percent in custom fitted shoes and about 45 percent in stability shoes regardless of their foot type were injured -- a difference that was not statistically significant.
  • lynne_p
    lynne_p Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I love my Saucony's, although I don't run I was told when I was looking for a pair for my daughter for track that they are great for runners. She ended up going with a pair of Asics, said they were a bit more comfortable on her.

I was always an Adidas girl. I tried my first pair of Sauconys about 2 years. I won't ever go back. Sauconys feel like you are walking or running on a cloud. :)
  • BuildABetterMe
    Options
    Before you buy anything, find yourself a GOOD store that caters to runners. Go in and talk with the people, allow them to watch you walk an/or run, and see what they say about your gait. They'll then make suggestions for a type of shoe based on the way YOU walk / run. There should be NO charge for any of this.

Try on shoes, see what feels the best and what fits the best. They'll offer even more opinion on fit and comfort. You're under NO obligation to buy, so thank them, tell them you're gathering information, and need to think before making such an important purchase.

You can then search lower cost venues (outlets, etc) to purchase your shoes.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add, that no matter what style you go with, it is important that you get a size larger than what your dress shoe is. Most people do not know they need to get a running shoe that is a size larger than what they normally wear.

I am in agreement with the others that say go to the running store, my life changed when I actually got fitted for shoes that were for my body type and running style. Although they are a little more expensive, good shoes, especially ones that we are going to get healthy in, are very important.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    Just came across this research study.

Custom fitted shoes don't prevent injury...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/07/07/us-running-shoes-idUSTRE6665PZ20100707

I feel like marine corps basic training soldiers are a poor sample set. There are so many other factors putting intense stress on the body (lack of sleep, inadequate nutrition, load bearing, strenuous activities, etc). Sneakers are only worn for a very small portion of your day during basic training, and there are plenty of other "non-jogging" ways to injure your feet, knees, or legs during training.

It would not surprise me that, among recruits, custom fit shoes don't prevent injury. Also, to prevent injury, one must properly "break in" the shoes. That's not possible on a basic training schedule.
  • jdjefferson
    Options
    Good advice to consider when looking for shoes:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/23/health/23patient.html

"A review of current studies on running shoes published in 2009 found that there were no evidence-based studies that showed running shoes actually helped prevent injury."
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Properly fitted running shoes may not prevent injury (if you land wrong on your foot and break or sprain your ankle, it won't matter what type of shoe you're wearing!), but they sure do help make your running more comfortable.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    Properly fitted running shoes may not prevent injury (if you land wrong on your foot and break or sprain your ankle, it won't matter what type of shoe you're wearing!), but they sure do help make your running more comfortable.

I know, right?!?! No one goes shopping for shoes and thinks, "gee, can I get some ill-fitting sneakers today? That would be great!"