Does Anyone have their names constantly mispronounced?? Sia

Options

Replies

• swinklet
    Options
    Frequently. It's Kasia & mispronounced as Kasya while it should be Kashee-a. It does not bother me at all. Frankly, I'm starting to like it! :) Another version I hear quite often is Kas. Loving it!

14512174.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    how many ways can you mess up "laura"
    1. lori
    2. lauren
    3. EMILY ? WTF???
    I think someone called me michelle before also.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    My name is Carolyn. Rhymes with Marilyn, as in, Monroe. Pronounced CAR-oh-lin. People always Cal me CAR-oh-line. Caroline. I just don't respond.

My grandma's name was Coralyn. Her nurses in the nursing home always called her Carolyn and it irked me. She's named after my great grandma Cora.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I've tried to tell people my name is properly pronounced Keeng-Uv-Aw-Sem-Nis, but nobody gets it right, not even my parents.
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    lol these are cracking me up... lets bring back hooked on phonics!!! - sia bevis
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    My name is Pepper as in Salt & Pepper. I get "Piper" a lot or else they just say "Excuse me?" as though I said a cuss word or something...

My neighbors name is Rebecca yet people always call her Jessica! ( I did too at first! Hahahaha!)
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    yep, my married name has a French 'ch' in the middle of it (think: michelle, machine, cliche, parachute, crochet, chef...). My husband is Lebanese and when registering the family name, the arabic script is transliterated into Latin alphabet letters and seeing how the official languages of Lebanon are Arabic and French, the French ear would transliterate (what we think of as the 'sh' sound) into 'ch' ... The same name has been transliterated in other, formerly-English colonies, with 'sh' resulting in multiple spellings of the same name haha.... we usually get a hard "CH" pronunciation but sometimes they pronounce it "k" .. ulgh... whats worse is my husband's name gets mispronounced all the time too (though it's a really simple name!)

Everyone tagged a 's' onto the end of my maiden name, so i am used to it, i guess lol
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    My name is Yvonne..... pronounced Yuh Von

I've been called:

Why Von
    Avon
    Eeevon
    and
    LaVon (by my grandpa of all people)

I answer to them all. :wink:
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Being a sports official, I won't get into all the names I have been called! :-)

umpire's got rabbit ears! LOL

Don't take rabbit ears to hear it most of the time :)
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I am shocked whenever my name gets pronounced correctly. Its not that hard. Adrienne.
  • Kassielin13
    Options
    My name is Casey, and people are constantly calling me Cassie.

Even worse, very few people seem to be able to spell my name. Invariably, when I go to Starbucks, the name on my cup will be spelled "Kacie" or "Kacey" or even "Kayci." I mean, really?

I have the complete opposite problem as you! Although both names are cute, it is so aggravating to be called something else. It is something that really makes me roll my eyes. There is an older lady at work, that I have worked with for 3 years, and for some reason she just refuses to call me Kassie. It is always Casey to her.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    My name is JEANETTE people constantly call me JANET sometimes even Jenelle

Mine is Janet and they call me Jeannette. And i recently changed my screen name, adding the hyphen because when it was janetpratt, everyone kept calling me Jane!
  • pinkpostittwirling
    Options
    My name is Leslie but people often times pronounce it LeZlie which I can't stand. I say no, it's Leslie with a soft s.

:)

PS - very random discussion but I like it. :)
  • 81Kyra
    81Kyra Posts: 115
    Options
    My name is Kyra it's pronounced Keer-a people say and spell it wrong all the time but I'm used to it.
  • rzavesky
    rzavesky Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    All my life I've been called Rachel or Raquel, but my name is Rachele like (RA SHELL)...If somone says Rachel or Raquel I usually respond.
    14476795.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Laureen74
    Laureen74 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's Laureen, like Maureen. But they pronounce it Lorraine or Lauren.
  • Tink_89
    Tink_89 Posts: 23
    Options
    My surname is always pronounced wrong. Unless people are Welsh anyway!
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    This thread should be required reading for any parent about to name their child something "fun" "unique" or "unusual"

What's the fun of going thru life having to constantly tell people your name is Syphillis but not pronounced like the venereal disease, oh no, its pronounced Si - FI - liss. And your sister Gonorrhea is really Gon - Or - ia
  • CandeesLand
    Options
    McMahon. Mc, as in McDonalds and Mahon (MAN). It's not phonetic, however, have this many people not heard of Ed McMahon? Mostly when people try we get Mc-May-Hone or Mc-Ma-Hone, which I gladly accept. Sometimes though, we get, Mc-Cone, May-Hay-Hone or Mc-Mi-Cone (for those who don't do well with reading) The majority of people say Mrs... errrrrr..... and then say my first name which is not Can-Dance for the record.
  • ivansmomma
    Options
    My name is Casey, and people are constantly calling me Cassie.

Even worse, very few people seem to be able to spell my name. Invariably, when I go to Starbucks, the name on my cup will be spelled "Kacie" or "Kacey" or even "Kayci." I mean, really?

I have the opposite problem. My name is Kris, but almost everyone spells it with a "C". My two brothers and I all have "K" names, as do my brother's children and their children.