no clue where else to post this - child wetting her pants at

Options
This is completely off subject of fitness, but I don't know what to do.
My daughter has just begun wetting her pants in the middle of the day. She is 7, so she has been potty trained for a long time. We have had the occasional night bed wetting, over the years, but that has stopped. She has done it twice in my MIL's car during a trip from school to home, which is about 7 to 8 minutes. My MIL is really upset about this, for good reason. I am at a loss. I don't think this is a medical problem or she would be doing it often. This has happened 3 times in the last 3 months, so I have assumed that it was just an accident or laziness. The other time she wet her pants at school. I have a call in to her pediatrician, but I wanted to ask if anyone has dealt with this or knows anyone who has dealt with this. She tries to pretend she doesn't know she has done it but she covers up with her jacket. I don't know where to start. She has a twin sister and an older brother and they have not had this problem so I am totally lost on how to deal with this. I looked up some stuff on the internet. She does not have fizzy drinks or high sugar juices, one of the things that causes wetting. I feel horrible for her. I have asked her about why and have told her that she can tell me anything, but she says she doesn't know why, that she knows she can go to the bathroom anytime she needs to. She is not afraid to ask to go to the bathroom. There has been nothing new going on - no new baby, no moves, no new jobs, nothing. Your help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Iwillbemeagain
    Options
    Not sure sweetie... Is she emarassed when it happens? Maybe just being to busy with other things she holds it too long...
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've been through this a couple of times with my daughter who's almost 6. The first time it happened was when she was 4, after a year of being potty trained and having no accidents, she suddenly started pooping in her underwear. However, my grandmother (her great-grandmother) had passed away a few weeks before it started, and it seemed that it had to be a reaction to that. It lasted a couple months and then stopped. The second time was when she started kindergarten this year, and it turned out that she was scared to ask to go to the bathroom in her new classroom. Even though she could go anytime she wanted, she was unclear about how to ask, and maybe somewhat embarrassed to ask in front of the other kids. We had a talk with her teacher, and they worked it out.

I don't know if any of this helps you, but I just wanted to let you know that this happens with other kids too. Sometimes it's really hard to tell the reason for it.
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    The pediatrician is a good start! But I would be asking for a conference at the school with the teacher. Find out if there's anything going on with the other kids, things like that.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I'd have a conversation with her teacher first. Sometimes there are circumstances at school, such as a kid making fun of her in the bathroom or something. Then you need to talk with your daughter. Make sure she knows you are not angry or upset with her, but you want to understand why this is happening and how you can help her.

I really hate to bring this up, but sudden accidents like this that are unrelated to potty training CAN be a sign of sexual abuse, though that is not the only cause. It is something to be aware of, though.

If you can't get to the bottom of things, you may want to take her to the doctor for a checkup. If all physical causes are ruled out, a counselor might be able to help you figure out what's going on.

If it is abuse, please feel free to message me. My husband abused my daughter, so I've been there and would be glad to help you in any way I can. I sincerely hope that's not it and that it's just something simple like not wanting to go at school for some reason.

Please keep us posted!
  • learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Could be a uti, yeast infection. Actually I have heard of this being a common problem in males as they enter puberty,perhaps it happens to girls too.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Sudden trauma can bring on these types of issues in young children. Possibly bullying or abuse at school or elsewhere.
    I'd go to a professional.
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'd have a conversation with her teacher first. Sometimes there are circumstances at school, such as a kid making fun of her in the bathroom or something. Then you need to talk with your daughter. Make sure she knows you are not angry or upset with her, but you want to understand why this is happening and how you can help her.

I really hate to bring this up, but sudden accidents like this that are unrelated to potty training CAN be a sign of sexual abuse, though that is not the only cause. It is something to be aware of, though.

If you can't get to the bottom of things, you may want to take her to the doctor for a checkup. If all physical causes are ruled out, a counselor might be able to help you figure out what's going on.

If it is abuse, please feel free to message me. My husband abused my daughter, so I've been there and would be glad to help you in any way I can. I sincerely hope that's not it and that it's just something simple like not wanting to go at school for some reason.

Please keep us posted!

^^this
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I 3rd/4th the suggestions about seeing a professional.

There are a lot of thing it could be, see a doc, if the doc thinks she seems fine take her to see a therapist.
  • LowCarbsHighHopes
    LowCarbsHighHopes Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    She knows it's wrong/embarrassing because she covers it with her jacket. Regardless of what's going on she needs all the love and support she can get. She may have a weak bladder, maybe something happened at school, is she overweight? .. There are so many reasons, but hopefully the pediatrician will be able to help with answers. Good luck!
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I haven't dealt with this-mine's still little, but my thoughts are maybe anxiety or a UTI? I agree, check with the pediatrican to rule out a medical issue, then find out if there's anything externally going on that's causing her stress. Poor pumpkin. You are a good mom for trying to help her. You'll figure it out :)
  • RyLaneB
    RyLaneB Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Could there be something bothering her at school? My son has not had that happen, but last year he had perfect attendance, was fine every morning when he left, but all of the sudden he was going to the office with really bad stomachaches almost every day. After a couple of times of bringing him home and experiencing a speedy recovery I started asking questions but not getting answers. My mom works at his school and had been popping into his room to check on him, his teacher (who he loved) talked to him... no answers. It turned out that when his teacher was turned away working on the board or helping another child, the boy next to him was poking, kicking, and hitting my little guy...and Ry was not telling on him because he thought this boy was his friend and would be mad at him! When he finally told me the teacher dealt with him right away and Ry went back to being a perfectly healthy boy. Sometimes our kids experience stress where we don't think to look, Ry is a sweet kid who is friends with everyone so one of those "friends" bullying had never crossed my mind... Now I know better. Good luck with your daughter! :flowerforyou:
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I 3rd/4th the suggestions about seeing a professional.

There are a lot of thing it could be, see a doc, if the doc thinks she seems fine take her to see a therapist.

THIS!!!!!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I had a cousin with the same issue at that age. She would wet herself a little and I think the only thing they found was a slight bladder control issue. She grew out of it though I'm not sure how quickly. Don't worry TOO much.
    With bladder control troubles maybe she wet herself when she was laughing and then was embarrassed by that and wanted to hide it? It also could be caused by anxiety. I think the doctor will be able to give you a better answer than we can.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    This is often a reaction to something emotional that's going on or something bad that's happening in a child's life. I would find out if she possibly has a bully at school or if something else is going on with her.

The pediatrician is definitely a good first step.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    My D6 is a very active, very bright child. She gets so involved in her projects and is so afraid she'll miss something, that she postpones going potty until it is too late. She has accidents in her seat or in front of the potty (when she rushes there). Maybe your daughter doesn't want to make people wait for her while she uses the restroom? So she doesn't ask to go before she heads home in the car? I would start asking her if she needs to go, and also watch for signs she is postponing potty runs (ie: dancing around, holding herself) then stop her and send her off to the bathroom. Added: These accidents are occurring less and less, by the way.

But also, check with the pediatrician for any medical issues.
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Not sure sweetie... Is she emarassed when it happens? Maybe just being to busy with other things she holds it too long...

No, that is the strange thing. She is not embarrassed at all. She hides it.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

No, that is the strange thing. She is not embarrassed at all. She hides it.

If she's hiding it she's embarrassed....
  • jenn_is_trouble
    Options
    Sudden trauma can bring on these types of issues in young children. Possibly bullying or abuse at school or elsewhere.
    I'd go to a professional.

^ This!

One of the things I learned while getting my teaching degree was that teachers need to be aware of signs of abuse, and wetting oneself (expecially if the child is older) could be an indicator. Don't want to freak you out, but it's just something to keep in the back of your head somewhere. Maybe if you can get her talking (to you or a professional)...
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    That's what I was going to say....that IS a sign of embarrassment.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Clearly, something is preventing her from using the bathroom at school, so she is holding it until she is released.
    Pretend like you know the reason, and it will come out.
    If I am wrong, then a trip to the doctors should rule out any physical ailment.