Help! I need sneaky ways to get my veggies.

Options

Replies

• AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I use to shred veggies, zucchini and squash for example, to put in recipes for my kids. You cant see it or taste it. Great idea for meatloaf for example.

Yes. This. Use shredded zucchini instead of bread crumbs in your meatloaf; it will do the same job, keeping the loaf moist, but it adds all kinds of nutrients that bread crumbs don't.
    Also, when making a quiche or an omelet or a smoothie, you can sneak a bit of chopped spinach in there pretty easily & your tastebuds will never know.

(I apologize if any of these are repeats, I didn't read everyone else's posts yet, I have to get to work this morning!)

Also, I agree with you on tomatoes. Tomatoes are evil things that are technically fruit anyway, so no one should have to eat them. My brother likes them on a BLT, but I say this is a travesty, polluting good Bacon like that...

I grill a lot of veggies on my George Foreman grill, it's nice & easy with minimal cleanup. But first I break an egg, mix a couple tablespoons of Parmesan cheese & a dash of black pepper into it, and coat the veggies in that mixture. Works great, esp. with asparagus.

Oriental stir-fry is a good option, too. With the soy sauce & spices, plus the meat, you'll hardly taste the veggies.

I can't have grains or starches, so I often use steamed, finely chopped cauliflower as a substitute for potatoes or rice. You can whip up some "mashed potatoes" with cauliflower, a dash of garlic and black pepper, and a little ricotta cheese (for creaminess).

Speaking of cheese, strong-flavored cheeses are great to disguise your veggies. Next time you have broccoli & cauliflower, try melting some gorgonzola or bleu cheese or feta or even just some smoky cheddar.

Ever make mini-pizzas on English muffins? You can do the same thing using big portabello mushroom caps as the crusts. With the sauces, cheese, spices & toppings you really can't tell the difference.

Hope these help!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

I need someone to school me in secret ways to add veggies to my daily foods.
    Please help! :-)

hire a ninja to feed you veggies.

Oooooh, best idea I've heard all day! :heart: Can I find a Veggie Ninja online, do you think? The Artichoke Assassins? The Sacred Fellowship of the Rutabaga?
  • joolsweb
    joolsweb Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi ya
    I don't hate them but I do mix them up, a lot. You say curry and chillis, so use tinned tomatoes in etiher of those, I always use mushrooms, onion, peppers, courgettes (zucchini for US). Remember they don't have to be fresh, frozen and tinned are just as good.
    Strif frys are good and I add mangetout and pak choi.
    As others have said try shredding carrot into your chilli's/curries.
    Why not try 1 x new veg or fruit a week - you only have to eat it once and you may find you like it.
    You may also find that your tastes change over time so as one of the earlier posters said, give it a month or 2 and go back to those veggies you didn't like previously and see if they taste any better.

Main thing is don't force yourself to eat anything you truly hate and keep on going with your journey - we'll all get there in the end (one brocolli spear at a time) Good luck
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    All coliforms (broccoli, cabbage etc.) - utter spawn of satan. Would honestly rather eat doggy poop.

Actually, I do have two pieces of constructive advice:
    1) There are people in poorer countries that ARE literally DYING for food like the ones you're complaining about. Get some perspective of the overall picture.
    2) If you would honestly rather eat 'doggy poop' instead of coliforms, I suggest you go ahead and do so. It will serve to positively reinforce the difference between the two and my guess would be you will come out LOVING coliforms.

LOL ... How is this constructive. That's like saying for every concern someone brings up ... "Oh you have problems? THE WORLD HAS PROBLEMS MAN!! "

The guy has a legit question. Making him feel guilty for asking isn't going to help anyone. and it will probably prevent him or someone else from asking a similar question in the future.

And Yes People are LITERALLY Dying for food, so what? People are literally dying from cancer, 2nd hand smoking, diabetes, car crashes, pianos falling.

Perhaps his concern is with himself and not a bunch of people he doesn't know somewhere else that he can't help at the moment.

Not trying to make anyone feel guilty. It's very constructive to give someone an ultimatum that will give them a beneficial outcome. It promotes a better understanding. 'Eat crap' or 'eat proper food'.

What exactly is wrong with saying "Oh you have problems? THE WORLD HAS PROBLEMS MAN!!". It helps to motivate CONSTRUCTIVELY when you think about those who are disadvantaged. How is that a bad thing?

I don't feel the need to pander those that want to complain about eating healthy foods.

LOL .. omg ... what you know about helping someone I could just about fit on a cocktail napkin.
    Not trying to make anyone feel guilty. It's very constructive to give someone an ultimatum that will give them a beneficial outcome. It promotes a better understanding. 'Eat crap' or 'eat proper food'.
    --- Ulitmatums are NOT constructive, they are demeaning and rude. Most people don't respond well to them and should be avoided.
    What exactly is wrong with saying "Oh you have problems? THE WORLD HAS PROBLEMS MAN!!". It helps to motivate CONSTRUCTIVELY when you think about those who are disadvantaged. How is that a bad thing?
    --- This one kind of makes me laugh because you truly believe that people think the same way you do and telling someone that thier problem is insignificant will help them some how magically overcome it.

From a site for how to help people with depression
    •The person may have lost perspective on how big a problem actually is. They will find it hard to hear that what is insurmountable for them is actually not such a big deal. It is unhelpful to say “What’s your problem? You’re upset about nothing.” Instead try “You seem to be finding this issue a big deal at the moment. Can we solve it together?”
    I don't feel the need to pander those that want to complain about eating healthy foods.
    I don't feel the need to pander those that don't really know or want to provide any positive help, but I did take the effort to try to explain WHY this type of approach is ultimately useless.
  • ami299
    ami299 Posts: 57
    Options
    All coliforms (broccoli, cabbage etc.) - utter spawn of satan. Would honestly rather eat doggy poop.

Actually, I do have two pieces of constructive advice:
    1) There are people in poorer countries that ARE literally DYING for food like the ones you're complaining about. Get some perspective of the overall picture.
    2) If you would honestly rather eat 'doggy poop' instead of coliforms, I suggest you go ahead and do so. It will serve to positively reinforce the difference between the two and my guess would be you will come out LOVING coliforms.

Give him a break. He is just trying to find creative ways to mask the unpleasant tastes of some vegetables. Manning up and just eating them doesn't work for everyone. I agree with the whole "starving children" thing, but he is JUST asking for ways to cook vegetables- it's a lot easier to help than complain or mock him. - Just saying

So, I try to stay away from cheese, but if you find a cheese that isn't too high in calories or sodium, you could toss your broccoli in that. I've seen some neat recipes to bake broccoli in the oven with garlic and Italian seasonings. Try Skinnytaste.com for some creative recipes.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of the exact recipe, or if it's been mentioned.

Boil/steam cauliflower till its really soft.

Throw in blender, add sour cream or butter... salt and pepper.

Pretend it's mashed potatoes.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Keep some pumpkin puree around. Great addition to pancakes and cookies!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I puree all kinds of veg & freeze them in ice cube trays. Sneak a few cubes into whatever i am making and voila, my kids eat it. Might work for you too. I also put thm in stirfrys, just find the right combination of spices and you'll hardly be able to taste them.

Also, if you're really adventurous you could just try eating them. And keep doing it. It takes bout 20 tries for your tastebuds to get used to different food. I just kept eating stuff i didn't like, now i actually enjoy broccoli, mushrooms, bell peppers, onion, stewed tomatoes & tomato sauce where before i could not stand them. Still hate brussels sprouts though, bleh.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    They have a whole cookbook on this, it's made for kids but it would work for anyone who wouldn't want to eat veggies. I think it's called Deceptively Delicious, basically you just puree veggies and add them to things you already eat. Match colors so you notice them less.

There's also the sneaky chef
  • divalivious
    divalivious Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Can't relate too much as I love veggies but there are some food that I havent found the like button on yet.

Most have already passed on same tips.

But with veggies I find I am trying to get more into a meal of aim to get different nutrients that a meal is missing by the usual suspects. So as I am making what I call a taco more a burrito thing I will shred in some carrots. Ya cant taste them but your getting more. Mine are already veggie packed but just want more.

With stir fry mixed you might want to mess with the sauces you try to make the veggies more palatable or to trick your senses. Have a wicked honey mustard sauce that makes you go chicken and veggies with sauce YES please. Just experiment just watch the calorie count with the sauces.

If you like spagetti, buy crushed tomatoes over canned sauce and make your own with shredded veggies and mess with the spices. Garlic can be an amazing friend :) This way you get to watch the sugar and salt content.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    A few handfulls of spinach in a fruit smoothie in the morning totally hides the taste but you're still getting all the vitamins :)
    I totally agree !
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    grate or chop finely some carrots, celery, and green peppers and add it to hamburgers or meatloaf. adds a lot of moisture, makes them SUPER flavorful and you don't even realize you're eating veggies :)
  • erinjmoore1
    erinjmoore1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am the same as you! I have only recently started eating them, the easiest way for me, is raw...in salads....I hate cooked broccoli, but love it raw, cut up in a salad...same as with cauliflower...as long as it has some ranch dressing or blue cheese on it. I now like cucumbers alright in salads and recently discovered I like eggplant (like eggplant parmesan)...but I am with you in that I hate most vegetables when cooked (unless its roasted with olive oil and some spices)
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I put them in eggs.( spinach,red peppers,corn,artichokes whatever.) Or in a tortilla with eggs,or sandwhich meat and cheese.I love grilled vegetebles. Good luck. Keep trying.
  • gwenguin
    gwenguin Posts: 74
    Options
    i always put tons of bananas and strawberries in a blender and put a few handfuls of spinach in it... the smoothie turns green,... but it tastes like strawberries! :)
  • girlwapp
    girlwapp Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    spices are your friend. experimentation is your friend. find the things you WILL eat and abuse them.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I get most of my veggies at breakfast in the form of a green shake. My green shakes have Spinach, Broccoli, Cucumber, Carrot, and Kale--Along with some fruits and Ice.
  • melbellkid
    Options
    sautee spinach peppers and onions and put it in your eggs in the morning...really good!

There is a really good Strawberry Spinach salad from Pampered Chef also...I don't remember the exact ingredient measurements but its spinach with strawberries sliced on it and sliced almonds then the vinagarette is made from lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, poppy seeds, and a little oil...I think 1 pretty generous serving was under 80 calories and it is almost like strawberry lemonade on your salad...super yummy and refreshing...I could eat a whole bag of spinach in one sitting with that recipe :)
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    a couple others posted about the deceptively delicious book and another one. Basically, you puree vegees and hide them in other foods. My kids and I don't like veggies so I tried this out. It worked, my kids ate all kinds of veggies and had no idea. I really liked a few of the recipes too. I put squash puree in my son's grilled cheese sandwich and I liked the avacado puree in my tacos. There is also a chocolate cupcake recipe. I made my cupcakes with whole grain flour so they were probably heavier than they were supposed to be but I still thought they were really good. I ordered my deceptively delicious book from barnes & noble for around $12. It is written by Jessica Seinfeld, Jerry Seinfeld's wife.
  • waylward
    waylward Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    bump