Help! I need sneaky ways to get my veggies.

Options
1235»

Replies

• polz7
    polz7 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've heard that the reason most people don't like veggies is because they are used to eating too much processed crap and too much sugar and if you cut that stuff out of your diet for a while and then try veggies again, then you'll love them. I've never had this issue but I did used to love sugary soda & snacks when I was younger and then my mom went on a crazy no sugar kick when I was a teenager and banned all sodas, chips, and generally unhealthy food. I thought she was evil but I got used to it. Then I went to my friend's house and had some soda and it surprised me how awful it tasted to me all of the sudden.

Veggies that make my world a better place: juicy red peppers, real tomatoes & cucumbers (fresh from a garden, that have a really strong smell), broccoli stalks (am I weird? so tasty!)
  • juliann95
    juliann95 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I drink mine in smoothies!! I have a spinach and peanut butter smoothie every morning. My 5 year old drinks these smoothies!! Can't even taste the spinach. There are so many smoothie recipes out there using fruits and veggies. We are loving trying all the varieties.
  • TiffyC828
    TiffyC828 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    All coliforms (broccoli, cabbage etc.) - utter spawn of satan. Would honestly rather eat doggy poop.

Actually, I do have two pieces of constructive advice:
    1) There are people in poorer countries that ARE literally DYING for food like the ones you're complaining about. Get some perspective of the overall picture.
    2) If you would honestly rather eat 'doggy poop' instead of coliforms, I suggest you go ahead and do so. It will serve to positively reinforce the difference between the two and my guess would be you will come out LOVING coliforms.

LMAO!! This cracked me up!! Love it!!

I never understood why people use that comment to things though "there are people in poor countries dying for the food..etc" How is me eating it going to help them?? Forgive me..just being a smart *kitten*!!

I do agree with number 2 though! Try it..I dare you! heehee
  • asaunders1981
    Options
    My very very very favorite thing to do is to roast them. Trust me and try this. Cut bell peppers (my favorites are the red/yellow/orange b/c they're sweet), slice red onion, mushrooms, zuchinni, asparagus (or whatever out of those you think you could handle at first); toss them with oilve oil, sea salt, garlic salt, and some freshly ground pepper, throw them on a cookie sheet and in the oven at 400, roast until they start getting black marks (k, that doesn't sound appetizing but you'll see what I mean). They are sooo good. Salty, peppery, garlicky. Even better? Throw a handful of low fat parmesan or asiago on the last 2 minutes of roasting. I could eat this veggie dish all alone and feel like I did something bad...
  • Halcyon3608
    Halcyon3608 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    OK, the first place to start would be to STOP referring to broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage as "coliform" vegetables. They're CRUCIFEROUS vegetables. "Coliform" refers to bacteria in the same family as E. coli. Ironic that you say you'd rather eat dog poop when coliform bacteria is what you'd find in it!

ANYWAY... I recommend oven-roasting. I got my parents to like brussels sprouts (yup, you read that right) and my boyfriend to like asparagus by drizzling them with olive oil, seasoning with salt & pepper, and roasting on a cookie sheet in a hot oven (400-450 degrees). The trick is to not crowd the veggies, otherwise they steam themselves instead of becoming delightfully browned. When you roast in this manner, the sugars caramelize, and the flavor you end up with is out of this world. Plus, the texture stays relatively crisp instead of mushy and gross. And honestly, you can roast pretty much any vegetable - mushrooms, whole cherry tomatoes, chopped up sweet potatoes and squash and carrots, broccoli & cauliflower, potatoes, and so forth.

Serve a medley of roasted vegetables on a bed of couscous, and you've got one of my all-time favorite meals. Give it a try!