How do you put your body in ketosis mode

Options
13»

Replies

• weesel80
    weesel80 Posts: 186
    Options
    I say, what works for one person, may not work for another and so on, so my 2 cents, if you have found something that is working for you and you are maintaining your HEALTH, go with it. Me, I am just trying to eat a variety of balanced., healthy foods everyday and get my exercise in. If I do all this, I feel pretty good!

Cheers everyone!!:drinker:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Banks, just as an aside, in every gym I've attended/worked in, the trainers aren't allowed to give out dietary plans like a dietician would. You can suggest changes, like replacing fast food with something or creating a deficit for fat loss, but most gyms won't let you give out nutritional plans because you're not licensed. My old trainer actually wasn't allowed to say ANYTHING except the basic, 'Eat healthy'. You might find a gym that's more lax about it, but in general it's not an area you'd really be working on with them.

I'm glad I could offer you some information. Another random thing-- The Inuits actually lived on a diet really similar to this one. There's not a ton of fruits/grains/veggies in Alaska in many areas. They lived largely off the meat and fat of seals (and eyeballs :sick: ).

True enough. I don't think I'll be giving people nutrition programs. I might suggest calorie deficits, and laying off certain types of foods, but I think if someone really wants to get that serious about it I would be recommending a registered dietician.

Hey, I've heard that Inuits who live off seal and whale blubber have really bad breath though. :laugh:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I find that limiting my carbs as well as calories helps me with eliminating cravings. I'm not disciplined enough to have "just a little" of the breads & other starches. If I replace the carbs with veggies, I feel much better & find it easier to follow the eating plan without suffering much. I've tried lots of other diets through out my life, & with this plan, I don't crave sweets or junk. It's easier for me to fill up on salads if I can have dressing.
    My doctor endorses Atkins as long as I take a vitamin supplement.
    And it is pretty clean.
    And it works for me.
    Like any weight loss plan, if you just stop, you'll gain everything back anyway.
  • nitag
    nitag Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I usually don't chime in on these things..

I did the Lindora plan in 1996 and the diet puts you into Ketosis. High protein low carb. If I remember correctly its a 3 phrase plan.You do a 3 day protein fast day to get started and then a protein fast day 1 day a week. I lost 80 lbs in 6 months and kept it off for 5 yrs .. It was a hard hard plan to follow.. I went to the clinic 5 days a week and they gave me a vitamin shot and an appetite suppressor.. I peed on a stick everyday to make sure it turned purple so that I could continue the weight loss phase.. Drank a min of 80 ozs a water a day.. and to top all that off it cost me $4000 yes $4000.... And here I am again.. going to do it the right way so I can learn to eat without gaining it all back when I lose it all again....
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I usually don't chime in on these things..

I did the Lindora plan in 1996 and the diet puts you into Ketosis. High protein low carb. If I remember correctly its a 3 phrase plan.You do a 3 day protein fast day to get started and then a protein fast day 1 day a week. I lost 80 lbs in 6 months and kept it off for 5 yrs .. It was a hard hard plan to follow.. I went to the clinic 5 days a week and they gave me a vitamin shot and an appetite suppressor.. I peed on a stick everyday to make sure it turned purple so that I could continue the weight loss phase.. Drank a min of 80 ozs a water a day.. and to top all that off it cost me $4000 yes $4000.... And here I am again.. going to do it the right way so I can learn to eat without gaining it all back when I lose it all again....

While ketosis will happen regardless of whether you're eating high protein or high fat, it's actually better to eat high fat than it is to eat high protein. Fat provides a more direct and abundant source of energy and its metabolism doesn't produce the same by-products as protein metabolism (these by-products have to be converted to less harmful substances before they're urinated).
  • tipu11575
    Options
    for all those naysayers.... can you please post links of stories where Ketosis diet hurt people? more hurt then being over weight and high blood pressure ??? i need examples if anyone has any . i am thinking of going through this diet plan maybe. i hear hundreds of success stories of people losing hundreds of pounds....... but barely seen any posts of people who have been "hurt" by this type of diet. and by the way, "diet not working" is not the same as being hurt by it... FYI>

before i start, i would love to get some people who have been hurt (liver, kidneys...etc.) by the low carb diet to post their experiences please. so far all i have are lots of success stories, and a bunch of people saying that it is unhealthy and can hurt, but noone who has been "hurt" by the diet posting anything.

thanks.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Bumping a 4 year old thread on your 1st post = cool.