Muscle DOES NOT weigh more than FAT

Options

Replies

• EddieG77
    EddieG77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses!! Greatly appreciate it!!! I was just doing the math and after reviewing sites on the topic!!
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    A pound is a pound!! AMEN!
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Dead horse + baseball bat= this thread
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I keep seeing responses to posts that muscle weighs more than fat when in fact this is an old myth. When you take 5lbs of muscle and weigh it against 5lbs of fat, according to my math, 5lbs is 5lbs. Fat is much thicker than muscle, so by going by the scale if you are working out and you are not losing weight, you are simply replacing the fat with muscle. You could go months without losing weight, but your clothes are getting bigger and bigger on you. This is because you are losing the fat and converting it into muscle.

Please read here if you could: http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/muscle-to-fat.html

Let's stop this myth for everyone's sake and don't always go by what the scale says but what you see in the mirror or how your clothes fit!!

Hope this helps!!
    Cheers
    Ed

Surely going by your own story, muscle weights more than fat.

If your weight is staying the same, but your clothes are getting bigger on you (ie you're getting smaller), then your frame is smaller but you still weigh the same.

I don't think it's about 5lbs = 5lbs at all. Of course it does. I think it's in relation to say 1 inch on your body. 1 inch of muscle could weigh more than 1 inch of fat.

I think you don't understand what he means. Simply goes like this: Muscle is denser than fat & therefore takes less space on your body but it DOES NOT WEIGH MORE THAN FAT. One pound is one pound & the reason why you are getting smaller without losing weight is that you are losing fat while at the same time gaining muscle.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I think it comes down to people not wording it correctly...

But I think we have all come to a conclusion on this topic
  • Nitachi
    Nitachi Posts: 142
    Options
    I keep seeing responses to posts that muscle weighs more than fat when in fact this is an old myth. When you take 5lbs of muscle and weigh it against 5lbs of fat, according to my math, 5lbs is 5lbs. Fat is much thicker than muscle, so by going by the scale if you are working out and you are not losing weight, you are simply replacing the fat with muscle. You could go months without losing weight, but your clothes are getting bigger and bigger on you. This is because you are losing the fat and converting it into muscle.

Please read here if you could: http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/muscle-to-fat.html

Let's stop this myth for everyone's sake and don't always go by what the scale says but what you see in the mirror or how your clothes fit!!

Hope this helps!!
    Cheers
    Ed

Actually muscle is denser than fat...just so you know
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options

Hope this helps!!
    Cheers
    Ed

If your weight is staying the same, but your clothes are getting bigger on you (ie you're getting smaller), then your frame is smaller but you still weigh the same.

I don't think it's about 5lbs = 5lbs at all. Of course it does. I think it's in relation to say 1 inch on your body. 1 inch of muscle could weigh more than 1 inch of fat.

I think you don't understand what he means. Simply goes like this: Muscle is denser than fat & therefore takes less space on your body but it DOES NOT WEIGH MORE THAN FAT. One pound is one pound & the reason why you are getting smaller without losing weight is that you are losing fat while at the same time gaining muscle.

I think we are all not understanding what the original poster had in his head at the time of posting but it does not change the fact that by volume muscle DOES WEIGH MORE THAN FAT (sorry about that caps, but you seemed to enjoy them in your response) . I don't believe there was any mention in the original post about how much room in takes in the body , just a blanket statement that anyone who says muscle weight more than fat is wrong when in fact it is quite true.

It's just we all use different terminology and I don't think we need to debate mass vs density vs weight vs volume. That ends my rant :)
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing responses to posts that muscle weighs more than fat when in fact this is an old myth.
    Come on!
    When we say muscle weighs more than fat, we mean BY VOLUME!
    FACT: Muscle weighs more than fat ....BY VOLUME!

A gallon of muscle weighs more than a gallon of fat.

That's what we mean.

We were on the same wavelength, just wasn't typing fast enough to beat you to it ;)
    Some things should be no brainers.
    And this subject is beating a dead horse in the extreme.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Think golf ball and soft ball...same weight differnt size. One pound of muscle takes up LESS SPACE than one pound of fat.
  • Fellulah
    Options
    Yes, but, which is heavier, a ton of feathers or a ton of coal ?
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options

Hope this helps!!
    Cheers
    Ed

I think we are all not understanding what the original poster had in his head at the time of posting but it does not change the fact that by volume muscle DOES WEIGH MORE THAN FAT (sorry about that caps, but you seemed to enjoy them in your response) . I don't believe there was any mention in the original post about how much room in takes in the body , just a blanket statement that anyone who says muscle weight more than fat is wrong when in fact it is quite true.

It's just we all use different terminology and I don't think we need to debate mass vs density vs weight vs volume. That ends my rant :)

No worries & the caps are only for emphasis & not in anyway pointing out in a harsh way. Anyway sorry if it appears that way to you. The problem with us which leads to this endless debate is because well lets face it, we are all basing our success on what it appears on the scale even if our clothes are getting bigger or we are getting stronger & healthier. I think its about time that we also consider other factors aside from the scale numbers.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    Think golf ball and soft ball...same weight differnt size. One pound of muscle takes up LESS SPACE than one pound of fat.

Exactly it's just that we mix up terminology especially when it comes to mass

1 liter of muscle has more mass ( weight ) than 1 liter of fat due to it's density. Therefore it is heavier ( has more mass ) per volume.
  • PrincessGlitterTush
    Options
    I always assume when someone says muscle weighs more than fat, they mean that of the same volume (area) of fat vs muscle, the muscle is heavier as its more dense than fat.

Obviously 5 pounds of muscle weighs the same as 5 pounds of fat weighs the same as 5 pounds of feathers and so on...

EXACTLY.. this is actually just retarded.. It's like that old riddle, what weighs more - feathers or lead..
    Neither cause a ton of feathers weighs the same as a ton of lead.

It's what people say though and everyone understands it - SO why even bring it up. This is bizarre
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options

Hope this helps!!
    Cheers
    Ed

No worries & the caps are only for emphasis & not in anyway pointing out in a harsh way. Anyway sorry if it appears that way to you. The problem with us which leads to this endless debate is because well lets face it, we are all basing our success on what it appears on the scale even if our clothes are getting bigger or we are getting stronger.

I think we can both agree on that :) I love these types of debates, even if they do get old it keeps the mind fresh and thinking.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Homer-Face-palm-random-27010204-482-563.jpg
  • Hotrodhoodlum
    Options
    FACT : What you really should know is there is a misconception that women who work out and lift weight will get bigger and bulk up not true you don't have testosterone to bulk. yes you can not loose weight maybe even gain fr the first 2 months because you are putting on lean muscle mass and burning fat so that is why it is said muscle weighs more then fat ..
  • NicNac86
    NicNac86 Posts: 130
    Options

I don't think you understood what I meant. MUSCLE DOES WEIGH MORE THAN FAT BY VOLUME.

Thanks.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    1. You don't convert fat to muscle. You lose fat and gain muscle independantly
    2. Muscle is more dense than fat. That's what people mean when they say "muscle is heavier than fat"
    3. When people mean "muscle is denser than fat" they usually mean "hey it's ok if you gained weight, it's probably muscle"!
    4. When people mean "hey it's ok if you gained weight, it's probably muscle", they're wrong. When you're overweight you can lose a lot more fat (in weight) than you can gain in muscle.
  • froggzy1015
    froggzy1015 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    fat-v-muscle.jpg

Thank you for posting this pic. You will weigh the same, but your body will look and be leaner when you replace the fat with muscle. Measure.
  • leeanndelcourt
    leeanndelcourt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Also...you cannot convert fat to muscle. You burn fat, stored energy, off your body and you can build muscle on your body. You cannot convert fat to muscle.