Water/Tea confusion

Options

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Ok, from what I've read researches clearly demonstrated that large quantities of cola result in enhanced kidney stone formation due to their acidity and radical mineral imbalances. Your body must buffer the acidity of soft drinks with calcium from your own bones. As this calcium is eliminated through your urine, it slowly forms kidney stones. So why on earth would someone count cola as water intake?

Sources:
    Weiss GH, Sluss PM, Linke CA. Changes in urinary magnesium, citrate, and oxalate levels due to cola consumption. Urology. 1992 Apr;39(4):331-3.
    and
    Rodgers A. Effect of cola consumption on urinary biochemical and physicochemical risk factors associated with calcium oxalate urolithiasis. Urol Res. 1999;27(1):77-81.

Yes, absolutely, all that is true, but all that makes me question is why anyone would ever want to drink coke at all. It doesn't say anything about whether it does or doesn't count as water. Just points out you have to be pretty insane to touch the stuff full stop.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Ok, some of you say that ALL liquids count towards your water intake, but from what I've read researches clearly demonstrated that large quantities of cola result in enhanced kidney stone formation due to their acidity and radical mineral imbalances. Your body must buffer the acidity of soft drinks with calcium from your own bones. As this calcium is eliminated through your urine, it slowly forms kidney stones. So why on earth would someone count cola as water intake?

Sources:
    Weiss GH, Sluss PM, Linke CA. Changes in urinary magnesium, citrate, and oxalate levels due to cola consumption. Urology. 1992 Apr;39(4):331-3.
    and
    Rodgers A. Effect of cola consumption on urinary biochemical and physicochemical risk factors associated with calcium oxalate urolithiasis. Urol Res. 1999;27(1):77-81.

Because we're talking about hydration, not about calcium that is taken from your bones.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Ok, from what I've read researches clearly demonstrated that large quantities of cola result in enhanced kidney stone formation due to their acidity and radical mineral imbalances. Your body must buffer the acidity of soft drinks with calcium from your own bones. As this calcium is eliminated through your urine, it slowly forms kidney stones. So why on earth would someone count cola as water intake?

Sources:
    and

Because, whatever affect the cola has on your kidneys or bones does not change the fact that it's a fluid and contains water. The debate isn't about whether pop's good for you (I think most people will agree that, at least in large quantities- it's not). The debate is over whether pop or other caffeinated beverages can be counted towards fluid intake. As they are indeed fluids, the answer is yes.

Of course it would be BETTER if people could drink water instead of pop- but that's not what's being discussed.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Ok, some of you say that ALL liquids count towards your water intake, but from what I've read researches clearly demonstrated that large quantities of cola result in enhanced kidney stone formation due to their acidity and radical mineral imbalances. Your body must buffer the acidity of soft drinks with calcium from your own bones. As this calcium is eliminated through your urine, it slowly forms kidney stones. So why on earth would someone count cola as water intake?

Sources:
    and

Because we're talking about hydration, not about calcium that is taken from your bones.

Ok, I get that. But telling people that it's ok to count soda as their daily water intake is horrible, because some people would only drink soda if they thought that it should count as their "water intake". This site says: "We recommend that you drink at least 8 cups of WATER a day." It doesn't say we recommend that you drink at least 8 cups of liquid a day.
  • MercuryBlue
    Options

Sources:
    and

Beat me to it. :p
  • fteale
    Options

Sources:
    and

Ok, I get that. But telling people that it's ok to count soda as their daily water intake is horrible. This site says: "We recommend that you drink at least 8 cups of WATER a day." It doesn't say we recommend that you drink at least 8 cups of liquid a day.

Ok. To clarify.

While soda does count towards your daily liquid intake, it's poison and should be avoided at all costs.

I'm happy with that.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Sources:
    and

In the first one, a small group drank 3 quarts of soda a day. And that it *could contribute* to kidney stone formation. I am pretty sure no one here is saying to consume large amounts of soda on a daily basis to get all of their water intake. I don't see it the same as logging one or two glasses of pop as water.

I know when my nephew was in the hospital, sick, and wanted pop, the staff told us to give it to him, whatever he would drink to keep him hydrated.
  • atiffany1
    Options
    So I am really confused on the debate here... Are you debating the fact that soda and other things are a fluid that can hydrate or are you debating that soda can be counted as water? Yea any fluid will hydrate you, but doesn't mean you should count it as water.. water is water. water has no calories or sodium or chemicals.. so how can you count soda as water.. keep track of it as fluid you are drinking ok but to count it as water? Like for example soda adds celluclite to my hindend where as water does not. Theres no way I would put it in my tracker and count soda as water, they are completely seperate things. water is an ingredient in soda, soda is not water. Soda definately does not hydrate better than water thats for sure.. Congrats to all of you who are losing weight while still drinking soda, but everyones body doesn't respond that way, and there are things that happen to your body from drinking soda. Like for example the amount of sodium in it makes your body retain water. I think her intitial question was about tea and water, and for someone to give a "sigh" here we go again before answering or giving their opinion on the question is pretty rude. People are not making you read the message boards and people are not making you answer the questions. So if it gets on your nerves that much to answer a question and have to be boarder line rude about it why answer it? I think we should all respect each other on here if you agree with someone's opinion or not.
  • fteale
    Options
    So I am really confused on the debate here... Are you debating the fact that soda and other things are a fluid that can hydrate or are you debating that soda can be counted as water? Yea any fluid will hydrate you, but doesn't mean you should count it as water.. water is water. water has no calories or sodium or chemicals.. so how can you count soda as water.. keep track of it as fluid you are drinking ok but to count it as water? Like for example soda adds celluclite to my hindend where as water does not. Theres no way I would put it in my tracker and count soda as water, they are completely seperate things. water is an ingredient in soda, soda is not water. Soda definately does not hydrate better than water thats for sure.. Congrats to all of you who are losing weight while still drinking soda, but everyones body doesn't respond that way, and there are things that happen to your body from drinking soda. Like for example the amount of sodium in it makes your body retain water. I think her intitial question was about tea and water, and for someone to give a "sigh" here we go again before answering or giving their opinion on the question is pretty rude. People are not making you read the message boards and people are not making you answer the questions. So if it gets on your nerves that much to answer a question and have to be boarder line rude about it why answer it? I think we should all respect each other on here if you agree with someone's opinion or not.

The original question was about TEA, not soda. Not sure where the soda thing came into the equation. I think it's rank and wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, but tea definitely counts towards you daily 8 cups of water.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options

Definitely agree with you about respecting each other. I think the original thought behind the post was can you count 500ml of tea or what have you at 500ml of water in respect to hydration. The answer is yes you can, it's not the best for hydration but it still hydrates. Now one thing, many bottled water companies, city water companies, water wells do contain a mixture of sodium, potassium, in some areas fluoride so I don't think you can make a blanket statement that water has no sodium or chemicals. It will almost always contain some unless you drink only distilled water.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Ive switched to drinking just hot water.
    At first it tasted weird so i added a slice of fresh lemon but now with no lemon i can drink the kettle dry . Ive found it an easy way to get the water in and also seen a massive difference in my skin, its much better.
    Another bonus is that i dont fancy a biscuit with a cup of hot water as i would with coffee so thats better for me too.

I've been doing that too. It is great in the morning, because the warmth is what you need, and it really gets you hydrated again. I did it because I wanted to stop drinking coffee, and I certainly don't miss it. And I feel a lot better for it.
  • MercuryBlue
    Options

Sources:
    and

Ok, I get that. But telling people that it's ok to count soda as their daily water intake is horrible. This site says: "We recommend that you drink at least 8 cups of WATER a day." It doesn't say we recommend that you drink at least 8 cups of liquid a day.

What if the site told you that it recommended you to jump off of a bridge each day?

I'm really not trying to be rude here; I'm just pointing out that just because MFP says something doesn't make it truth/reality. MFP tells us to eat 1200 calories per day, but most of us understand that some of us need more than that and some of us need less because our bodies are different and we have different needs. The number is based on statistical averages and won't apply to everyone. We cling to that '1200 calories' because the site 'tells us to'- when, really, it's just meant to be a guideline and is written based on math and formulas instead of your body's actual needs.

The same applies to the '8 cups of water' bit; it's not actually written in stone that we should all consume 8 cups of water every day in order to be healthy. Again, that number is based on averages (and, as was pointed out before in the Mayo Clinic quote, it can come from different sources) and is not necessarily an accurate reflection of what every person's body at MFP needs. Again, it's a guideline. Want to know if you're getting enough fluids every day? Look at your urine. You're better off listening to your doctor than just blindly following what you read on a website.

I'm not claiming to be an expert here. However, this thread contains advice from several REAL TRAINED PROFESSIONALS in this field. To say, 'Don't listen to them, listen to the website' just doesn't make sense to me. Nobody here is saying that it's a good idea to drink pop instead of water, all they're saying is that it counts towards fluid intake. Which it does. I don't see how that's debatable.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    My three rules:
    1) Drink whatever you want. Whether it is caffeinated or not.
    2) Track the liquids, both in the water count and the food diary (if drinking something other than water that has calories, sodium, etc).
    3) Drink enough of anything to make sure your pee is close to clear.

Boom.
    Life simplified.

the pee thing is exactly what i was thinking!
  • TGJHurst
    Options
    Seriously??? Just drink the water. And if you want some tea, drink it too. Such Jibberish!!!
  • NotRegistered
    Options

If caffeine did dehydrate, i, and many others, would be dead from dehydration, as its pretty much all i drink.

Are you me?

My view of water is that it is what you put in the back of the coffee pot :smile:

I still try to drink some water!

In this smiley, I raise the water in my right hand and drink the coffee from the cup in my left hand!
    :drinker:
  • LadeeBug08
    Options
    I read those comments the same way. This is very confusing for alot of people especially with so many people who join this site daily. Thank you for clarifying!!!

:flowerforyou:
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options

Sources:
    and

Ok, I get that. But telling people that it's ok to count soda as their daily water intake is horrible, because some people would only drink soda if they thought that it should count as their "water intake". This site says: "We recommend that you drink at least 8 cups of WATER a day." It doesn't say we recommend that you drink at least 8 cups of liquid a day.

Maybe the site should change it to " Hydrating Fluid " they use the term water because it's the best for you but certainly not the only hydration medium in the world. I don't mean to sound mean but if your going to pontificate like that I will respond back with a slight tone.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. If you want to tell people that they can drink only soda and it counts as their "water intake" go ahead. I'm done arguing about it.
  • hybridscientist
    hybridscientist Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If people are going to not count black tea (english, earl grey etc) as water then green tea shouldn't be counted either. it has just as much caffeine as black teas.

I'm with the person that said they count water as water personally.
  • fteale
    Options
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. If you want to tell people that they can drink only soda and it counts as their "water intake" go ahead. I'm done arguing about it.

The thread was about TEA