Seasoning for chicken breast--what's your favorite?

Options
13»

Replies

• bfrice1
    bfrice1 Posts: 62
    Options
    Sometimes I sprinkle on a bit of pepper and rosemary. But my fave is Mrs Dash Salt Free onion and herb
  • crullmd
    crullmd Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    seasoning salt, oregano, onion powder, and garlic powder. It is sooooooooooo good!!!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    It's not creative, but in my eyes you can't beat a chicken breast sprinkled with a little fajita seasoning, then grilled on the George Foreman.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Didn't see it listed so I'll toss mine in here too,
    1) marinade in chipotle and honey (hey it works great for ribs, once I tried it at home on chicken... yeah that's a winner)
    2) cayenne pepper and cinnamon
    3) chili pepper flakes and fresh cracked pepper
    any other variation of the numerous spices in the cupboard. I've swapped "salt shaker" for spices, just watch ones like lemon pepper that have salt as the main ingredient :P summer savory, allspice, nutmeg, just whatever strikes my fancy, trouble with this one is when I get a real winner I can't always replicate it. So I keep a whiteboard in the kitchen to note what spices were used.
  • Nsdnjbl
    Nsdnjbl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I marinate mine for 24 hours with Italian Salad dressing. I buy it at the $1 store, and it's wonderful!
  • karalynnroll
    karalynnroll Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love chicken breast. I like it with garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, and a little bit of cayenne pepper. I try not to add a lot of salt, but a little bit goes a long way. I usually serve this with brown rice and some broccoli.
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I don't eat chicken anymore, but I quite liked the "seasoning" (really marinade) for chicken kara-age. Lots of chopped garlic and ginger. Mmm~
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    We're starting to trim down spending in all areas (we want to buy a house sometime this year), and I found an ad for 3 lb. of boneless skinless chicken breast...$3.99. Score!

Anyway, that's a ton of chicken for two people. We like to experiment with different spices and seasonings, but for some reason, I'm drawing a blank. What's your favorite way to season chicken breast? If you have some low-calorie/low-fat marinade ideas, I'd love to hear those, too. :)

OH MY GAWD... that price is extremely high!
    Do you have a Sam's Club in your area? Im willing to bet you that you can get a MUCH BETTER DEAL elsewhere.. $3.99/lb is not a bargain, thats a rip off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never paid more than $1.76/lb (for a 40# case) for boneless skinless chicken breast....
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I make a variety of spice rubs and put them into any of my empty-cleaned out spice shakers...

Some rubs are cajun influenced, asian influenced, thai influenced...... you name it!

I make a spice blend for fajitas: ancho powder, arbol powder, garlic powder, kosher salt, cumin, cayenne, onion powder, red pepper flakes. I like to take some of the spice blend and shake it on to the chicken that has been lightly coated with olive oil - it becomes an instant hydrated paste...
  • koko65
    koko65 Posts: 33
    Options
    We eat/ use lots of chicken breasts this way. =) and my all time favorite is baked dill chicken, which combines 1 can of low sodium cream of mushroom soup and ½ cup of fat free or low fat sour cream with ½ teaspoon of dill. ( This will generously cover 2-3 breasts) since I generally feed 4-6 I double or triple this. But it is divine. The sauce also works well as a gravy over potatoes or rice. =)

Ok we also like chicken breasts baked with a honey mustard glaze. And I also have a Hawaiian Chicken recipe that calls for chicken breast to be baked in one can of lite fruit cocktail, and it is delicious as well. And today I am going to try making ranch chicken in my slow cooker which is to be served over noodles: Ranch chicken over noodles

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    4 tablespoon real bacon bits
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 package ranch dressing mix
    1 can cream of chicken soup FIT AND TRIM/ LOW SODIUM
    1 cup sour cream FAT FREE
    Egg noodles- NO EGG YOKE NOODLES (210 cals for 2 cups)

Directions:

1. Place chicken in greased 5-6 quart slow cooker.
    2. Combine bacon, garlic, ranch dressing mix, soup, and sour cream; mix well.
    3. Pour over chicken in the crock pot. Cook on high 3-4 hours.
    4. Shred the chicken using two forks.
    5. Serve over cooked noodles.

Happy cooking! =)