Help! I am gaining, what am I doing wrong?

Options
124»

Replies

• Michelle7897
    Michelle7897 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have tried dried apples, but didn't like them. I am thinking maybe if I could drink the V8 stuff it might be a good start.

Thanks,
    Michelle
  • amylouwhoo
    amylouwhoo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Be careful. There is a ton of sodium in V8. And the sodium free doesn't taste great. You may like it though.
    I have the same issue with the weight gain...as hard as I try to lose the weight. I am a healthy eater with a dairy and gluten sensitivity. So eating the right foods for me is a challenge. I get plenty of protein but not nearly enough complex carbs. I am constantly trying new things. I am working out nearly every day. Running, walking, lifting, biking and other cardio machines. It's all a challenge, but the results we want are worth the work.
    Good luck!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Where did my biceps come from then??
    Biceps were there already. As you lose fat, they become more defined. That's why many people "think" they gained muscle. They actually "see" it now, where they didn't before. Lowering body fat "shows" muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MommaNa
    MommaNa Posts: 15
    Options
    You aren't eating enough...your body thinks it's starving and holding on to every calorie it gets.
  • Michelle7897
    Options
    Be careful. There is a ton of sodium in V8. And the sodium free doesn't taste great. You may like it though.
    I have the same issue with the weight gain...as hard as I try to lose the weight. I am a healthy eater with a dairy and gluten sensitivity. So eating the right foods for me is a challenge. I get plenty of protein but not nearly enough complex carbs. I am constantly trying new things. I am working out nearly every day. Running, walking, lifting, biking and other cardio machines. It's all a challenge, but the results we want are worth the work.
    Good luck!!

Thanks, good luck to you!
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode doesn't kick after 9 days if she eats 1200 calories/day. I checked your diary for couple of days. Sodium intake could be a reason so add it to your diary as a new column and monitor it (water weight). You indulged yourself at McDonalds and have every day sweets (sweet tooth). If you reach your macros it shouldn't be a big problem but do you know your macros? You also hate vegetables because I don't see any.
    Your body might be going into starvation mode. So basically anything you eat will be stored for later. try cutting out anything white ,increase water intake and lean protein and eat lots of green leafy vegetables as close to their natural state. so that means a spinach salad no dressing- use balsamic vinger. switch from regular potato to sweet potato, but limit starches. You'll find that you can eat a lot and still stay close to your 1200 cal/day. Also, try green tea with stevia, if you get tired of drinking water only. good luck
  • Michelle7897
    Options
    Thanks, I will keep an eye on the sodium. I like some vegetables, I just need to be better about eating them. I have no idea about my macros.
  • nettie1969
    Options
    /begin rant

You all have made me sooo mad.... one of the things I hate about this site. But I forced myself to read all the way through it anyway now am going to add my two cents worth...

Give it up with the all the trite lines such as 'starvation mode', and 'too much sugar' etc and the plain old 'just stop it' stuff. Do your research people and qualify your comments before jumping on the bandwagon. Yes, we all have our own opinions and thoughts and feeling on the different "diets" and methods of changing our lives out there and you are entitled to your own but please .... at least be constructive when someone asks for help.

There is nothing wrong with Optifast, optislim, Celebrity Slim etc IF YOU FOLLOW THE PLAN CORRECTLY.

OK now to clarify all you naysayers out there. (Sorry Michelle this may hurt a little).

Meal replacement programs are not a magic formula and won't work if you do not make wise choices to go along with them. So many people think that because they are using a MR shake then their other meals can be whatever they want them to be. This is not the case. Most of them still recommend that you have two healthy snacks per day and a healthy dinner (balanced and nutiritious from all food groups).

Any doctor or dietician will tell you that they CAN BE an effective part of your weight loss journey. Yes, a whole food diet of fresh foods is always best but some people really do need something different (or a little help and encouragement) as they begin their journey. These plans are designed for quick results in the short term .... not a lifelong program. And anyone who says they "learnt nothing about food" along the way did not complete the program correctly - well, didn't complete the follow up phase correctly.

I have met plenty of people who have used MRPs to lose weight and have kept it off. I also know people who didn't keep it off. The primary difference - their own attitude.

/end rant

Michelle -

there is nothing wrong with using these as a stepping stone to your future. Go back and read all the literature available and do some more research. From your diary you are 'undoing' the "good" of the shakes with your other meal choices. So you don't like fruit - no problem. Surely there are other fresh foods that you can be snacking on. Eggs, tuna, tomatoes, avocados, lettuce, carrots, celery - just to name a few. Easily come by, cheap and quick to prepare. Focus on the 'quality' of the food you do eat - not the quantity or calorie content at this stage. As you get closer to your goal you can then replace one of the shakes with another healthy meal. Experiment a little and try different foods - you may be surprised at what you like.

I too have fibromyalgia and have been living with it now for 20+ years. I can tell you that a healthy weight and gentle exercise are the best things for it (lol from someone who is again overweight - but this time due to other health issues). You can do this and learn to have a 'normal' life with FMS - i have raised my daughter as a single parent (she is now 19) and been back at work full time for the past 12 years... it can be done.

You need to find out what works for you and do it.