At this for 3 weeks never lost a lb what am I doing wrong??

Options
13»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's only been 3 weeks. [/thread]

It takes time. It takes patience. Nothing will happen overnight. You need to track everything, everything you eat, and all your exercise, consistently, and 100% accurately. The results will happen, as long as you stick to your plan.

My recommendation for a plan?

Eat MORE than 1200 calories, 1200 is a very low number, and is usually not healthy for anybody, unless you're very short (like, under 5'2" short.) Then incorporate REAL strength training, and limit cardio. Cardio is good for heart health, but overdoing it is bad for fat loss.
  • trudibus
    Options
    Make sure you aren't underestimating your portion sizes. When you actually start measuring and weighing things, you'll be surprised how fast the calories add up! Don't just try to 'eyeball' it.

I have cut my portion size in 1/2 .....that is my biggest accomplishment so far...by using a smaller plate and I ahve been measuring...i think Iam being too hard on myself
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    maybe I am adding muscle...hopefully that is the case
    You don't add muscle running. In fact, cardio only exercise catabolizes muscle (if you do no strength training) and that leads to much slower fat loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • trudibus
    Options
    It's only been 3 weeks. [/thread]

It takes time. It takes patience. Nothing will happen overnight. You need to track everything, everything you eat, and all your exercise, consistently, and 100% accurately. The results will happen, as long as you stick to your plan.

My recommendation for a plan?

Eat MORE than 1200 calories, 1200 is a very low number, and is usually not healthy for anybody, unless you're very short (like, under 5'2" short.) Then incorporate REAL strength training, and limit cardio. Cardio is good for heart health, but overdoing it is bad for fat loss.

I am 5'3....:) my biggest issue is stomach fat
  • hperowl
    hperowl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If you are under your calories, your body may be going into starvation mode, try to up your calories,

This is definitely true!! If your body isn't getting enough calories then it will horde the calories it gets especially if you're working out more. Also, water, water, water! It will help flush the sodium and help process fiber.

Other than that, keep logging all of your food and get some supportive friends on here to help. You can add me if you want:smile: Just don't give up!!!!!
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have been going strong for over 30 days now and i have only lost 5 lbs. it's 5 lbs less than i did weight, but it does get discouraging when i work out for atleast an hour each day and thats all i have to show for it, scale wise. BUT i have lost 6+ inches, So i am focusing on the inches more than the scale. My problem is i don't take in as many calories as i should. I am very busy with my kids..homeschooling my daughter, girl scouts,2 dogs..one of which is a 6 wk old..3 bearded dragons which needs alot of care..and the normal everyday things you have to get done..i forget to eat..i know that sounds weird, but it happens. I will wake up and by the time i get done with my morning routine i realize it's already almost lunch time and i skipped breakfast..

The lack of calories is the reason i haven't seen the scale move as much as i would like. I am getting better though. the first couple of weeks i was terrible about eating..i just didnt have an appetite, and had to force myself to eat anything...

Keep at it! Feel free to add me if you'd like. we all can use more cheerleaders! :)
  • gazzajam
    gazzajam Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I didn't realise until I made a chilli just how much actually goes into things, by the time you add the minced beef, onions, sauce, beans etc. it really makes a difference.

Try making your chilli with Quorn (or whatever vegetarian mince substitute you get in your part of the world). Same high protein but a fraction of the fat. Of course fat = 9 cals per gram whereas carb/protein is only 4 cals per gram, so eliminating a lot of the fat eliminates a LOT of the calories. I do a Quorn bolognese for 128 cals per serving (plus pasta calories) and it's delish!

Good meal planning is as simple as including all three major macronutrients in every meal. Every meal should contain a lean protein source (meat, fish, poultry, egg white, dairy etc - if it had a mother it's protein), a healthy carb source (wholegrains and low GI high fibre veggies), and a fat source (fat usually comes in with your protein so keep the protein pretty lean and vary the sources and you shouldn't have to worry about it too much. Stay away from high sat fat foods). Plan your meals around this theory, drink plenty of water and you can't go too far wrong.

Jay
    [/quote]
    Thanks for that Jay, actually looked at quorn mince today, but opted for turkey mince, I will experiment with alternative and welcome any guidance.

Gaz