Is it okay to eat the same thing everyday?

Options
I have heard MANY times to vary your food everyday for optimal weightloss (along with varying the calorie count), but I tend to eat the same thing, everyday for a week. Since I cook my own meals and I cook food for a week, I eat the same thing everyday. Does anyone else do this? And why do you hear about eating different things everyday so much? Does it really work?

Thanks!
(:

Replies

• MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I'm scared to post in case I get this wrong!
    I have no scientific things to back me up....
    I go through phases where I eat the same thing for a few days and I've had the success I wanted since joining MFP.
    I would say that if the food is balanced and supplies you with the things your body needs it's not going to hurt THAT MUCH.
    Or at all?
    There is conflicting information everywhere you look...
    Different colours, different amounts of protein, fat, carbs, water, sugar, salt, but if a day's food has a range - surely this is better than days of differing bad food?

I hope this makes at least some sense.
    Amanda
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Yes! It's definitely okay! Actually the more variety you have the more you tend to overeat (like at a buffet). But definitely agree that what you eat should still be balanced. I do what you do, will have leftovers for few days in a row, but also will tend to eat a banana, tangerines, almost every single day. Or I will have egg whites a few days in a row, then go with tuna or salmon for a few days. I would say do whatever works for you and keeps you going!
  • fuzzimama
    Options
    It depends whether what you are eating for a week fulfills your nutritional needs. If it does, then there would be no problem, if it doesn't then you might be running short of the things that your body doesn't store very well after a few days. I'm not a nutritionist, but I believe that some vitamins and minerals are water soluble (Vit C from memory) and we need to eat that fairly regularly as our body doesn't store it like it does with things that are fat soluble. If what you're eating is nice a varied and full of colourful fruits and vegetables, with a suitable portion of fats and protein then you're probably fine.

When you say you eat the same every day, do you mean the same main meal? And does that include all your snacks, fruit, veges etc.? I tend to eat in season, so my salads and fruit snacks can look similar for a week or two with only small changes, and I eat the same couple of breakfasts every day, but I'm happy there is sufficient variety in my diet to meet my needs.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I hear a lot of things about how eating the same things every day might be a good idea, because having a variety of things to eat is too tempting and may result in overeating or something like that. Makes sense to me.

But I say do what works for you. If you like eating the same things every day, go for it. Personally, I like variety, mainly because I have others to feed as well, and THEY don't like eating the same things every day lol Not only that, but I hate feeling restricted.

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • Dinah22
    Dinah22 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm happy eating lots of the same things on a daily basis. Still maintain a well balanced diet I think.....
  • Maria_t02
    Options
    I can't see you eating the same things everyday as a problem..boring yes..but as long as your getting all the nutrition you need then I am going to say its fine.
  • durhamity
    durhamity Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz even says its ok and that it actually helps to keep you on your diet.
  • lonewolf620
    Options
    I try to mix it up- with the exceptions of say leftovers (what I do is add spices when applicable to make something taste unique). Really the only meal I don't change is breakfast. I'll know if it's working when I hop on the scale on the 16th. *crosses fingers*
  • fitJoce
    fitJoce Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I tend to do this too. Mostly because when I get hungry I don't really want to think too much about what to make so I just make what I know is healthy and fits into my diet, and also because I like it :) I am thinking of adding a few more things into my repitoire though so I just bought some ezekial bread today for the first time and will incorporate that as another option when I want a carb.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have heard MANY times to vary your food everyday for optimal weightloss (along with varying the calorie count), but I tend to eat the same thing, everyday for a week. Since I cook my own meals and I cook food for a week, I eat the same thing everyday. Does anyone else do this? And why do you hear about eating different things everyday so much? Does it really work?

Thanks!
    (:
    No, HOW BORING!

But if it works for you, go for it. Some folks are totally OK with this.
    I get it. Just make sure you getting good nourishment where any holes in your diet are filled with proper supplementation.
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I get in the habit of eating the same breakfast every single day. but then I decided to switch it up. I have about 3 breakfasts I eat and if there arent too many leftovers I make the same few lunches everyday but usually that means that Im eating the same things for about 4 days before switching it up. dinner is different everynight and not my most healthiest meal. As long as your filling yourself with a variety of foods that your body needs I dont see why it would be an issue.
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Yes! It's definitely okay! Actually the more variety you have the more you tend to overeat (like at a buffet). But definitely agree that what you eat should still be balanced. I do what you do, will have leftovers for few days in a row, but also will tend to eat a banana, tangerines, almost every single day. Or I will have egg whites a few days in a row, then go with tuna or salmon for a few days. I would say do whatever works for you and keeps you going!

^ this. I prefer to eat one meal that is consistent (like oatmeal for breakfast, on weekdays), and since I have lots of apples from my apples trees I'm going back to those a lot xD
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I coined the phrase "Repetitive Eater" lol 30 months and I have one of two choices that I have for breakfast (but most of the time it is toast with peanut butter and honey) and don't vary much beyond the same at my other meals. We might throw in something different on occasion for supper ( make a slow cooker pot of veggie soup. or veg chili) but majority of the time chicken , fish , steamed veggies, etc,etc....
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I find myself craving a lot of the same things each day when i'm actively trying to lose. It has never hindered my progress, as far as I know...
  • christinezappella
    christinezappella Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've actually read scientific research on the opposite--eating the same thing stops cravings and overeating (maybe because you forgot what everything else tasted like?!?!?). I'm sure that as long as you are meeting nutritional goal it shouldn't matter.
  • tonyaj77
    Options
    i've heard dr. oz say its is ok to do that cuz it takes the guess work out of what to eat.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'm the same! :) However, I have done this pretty much constantly for 6 months, give or take a few days, and have had results!
  • Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Options

Thanks!
    (:

Here is an article I read today. Hope this answers your question. http://fitbie.msn.com/lose-weight/tips/best-advice-any-weight-loss-goal
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've eaten the same thing for breakfast and lunch every day for the past year, with very little variation.

Here's my breakfast:
    1 container Fage greek yogurt (various flavors) - winter only OR
    3/4 cup Puffins cinnamon ceral - summer only (I don't tolerate dairy well in the summer)

Lunch
    5 oz roast turkey or ham
    3 oz raw sugar snap peas
    3 oz raw baby carrots
    1 peeled cucumber (yes, an entire cucumber -- I love them)
    Depending on what's available at the grocery store, either 10 oz of watermelon, 150 grams of blueberries, 15 cherries or a pear

If I want to have a variation, I drop the turkey/ham from my lunch and have some hummus with my veggies instead. Dinner is based on what my hubby is in the mood for.
  • Ina63
    Ina63 Posts: 4
    Options
    According to Dr. Oz, and an article in this weeks Womens world magazine, he said you should try to eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch and have a healthy lo cal dinner. Dr Oz says this repitition will help you make better choices when eating. I have started eating this way on wednesday 1/3/12 and so far eating the same breakfast and lunch, I have managed to lose 4 lbs as of today. If Dr Oz says its ok then I listen to his advice.