Is it okay to eat the same thing everyday?

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I was going to say there's no problem with eating the same thing every day, as long as you get your nutrition in, but if Dr. Oz says it's ok to do that, then it must be a horrible idea. Dr Oz is the most clueless idiot I've ever seen on TV. :grumble:
  • sauci
    sauci Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It seems the consensus is that if you have variety during the day and cover all your food groups that you are fine to eat the same thing every day. But do you enjoy eating the same thing everyday? I also live alone and cook for myself. I prefer not to eat the same thing everyday. I cook in bulk to cover a weeks worth of meals, then I freeze the portions in plastic containers. I can now keep track of the nutritional value of each with the recipe tool. I do this several times in a week and have built up a store of different meals that I can choose from and is really economical. I find this really useful especially during the winter for work when I like to have a hot lunch rather than salad.
  • Healthy_Hannah483
    Healthy_Hannah483 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I was going to say there's no problem with eating the same thing every day, as long as you get your nutrition in, but if Dr. Oz says it's ok to do that, then it must be a horrible idea. Dr Oz is the most clueless idiot I've ever seen on TV. :grumble:

^ ^ haha THIS. I hate Dr. Oz as well lol.
  • Healthy_Hannah483
    Healthy_Hannah483 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your answers! I don't really eat the same thing ALL THE TIME. But I do eat the same 'meal plan' for a week straight just because I don't want to throw out a bunch of stuff and I have a rather small freezer.

:)
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Just read an article in Shape about this. Apparently you end up eating less over time if you eat the same thing over and over again. Probably out of boredom ;) definitely not for me.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I eat the same thing everyday because I know without having to read the labels how many calories are in a serving, whereas if I switch it up constantly I have to always re-evaluate and it messes me up.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    You're fine :)
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Actually, some studies have shown the opposite, people more successfully losing and maintain with limited choices. Google "Food Boredom" to get the articles. For my part, I did that. chose from a very, very limited number of things and it worked very well for me.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    On the weekend I make a big pot of something, then eat it for dinner (or dinner and lunch, if it was a very large pot) for the following week. I also tend to eat the same salad every work day at lunch (either as a whole meal or as a side to the leftover, because blue cheese and apples keep well in the fridge....)

It's easy, it's usually nutritiously sound, and it keeps me from the supermarket when I'm hungry....
  • rdpixie
    rdpixie Posts: 96
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your answers! I don't really eat the same thing ALL THE TIME. But I do eat the same 'meal plan' for a week straight just because I don't want to throw out a bunch of stuff and I have a rather small freezer.

:)

I'm pretty much the same - cooking for myself, don't want/can't afford to waste food and have a very small freezer - and so I tend to eat the same thing for a week and then change it the next week. It is a bit boring but its economical!
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I eat the same breakfast all the time (oatmeal with nuts and a bit of honey) and if I'm at work I'll have a stick of reduced fat colby jack, and a greek yogurt as snacks during the day too.

What I bring for lunch changes (Salad, left overs from dinner, etc) and dinner changes. I am trying to get DH to join me sometimes with the food since he could stand to lose some weight too. (He was one of those people that had a super high metabolism and ate everything but is now gaining weight)
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I go to the grocery store once a week, and I pretty much plan the same snacks and lunch every day for that week and then dinner of course varies. It works for me. I don't see any reason not to. I just plan different snacks and lunch the following week and I don't really get sick of eating the same thing. This also makes it really easy to stay within my calorie goals daily.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    -blushes- I eat the same thing for dinner each day.. Just fish. I'm not very creative. I'd like to say, eat a yogurt for breakfast, and some tuna for lunch, and snack on various veggies/fruits.
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    Weight loss is about calorie deficit. People who eat the same thing every day tend to be thinner, this has been scientifically proven (many studies to back it up). Why? Because they don't have to monitor their calories. Day in and day out if you eat the same portions of the same foods, and you lose weight or maintain weight, then you don't have to think about it or monitor your eating habits. HOWEVER, if you are not eating a variety of proteins, carbs, vegetable and fruits, you will probably have a deficit in some vitamins and minerals, and be in excess in certain vitamins and minerals.
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly the same thing - my meal is balanced though. And I have been losing weight and getting stronger and healthier every day :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    I have heard MANY times to vary your food everyday for optimal weightloss (along with varying the calorie count), but I tend to eat the same thing, everyday for a week. Since I cook my own meals and I cook food for a week, I eat the same thing everyday. Does anyone else do this? And why do you hear about eating different things everyday so much? Does it really work?

Thanks!
    (:
    I'm pretty systematic in my eating and have no problem eating the same foods everyday. The body can't distinguish between meatloaf and ground beef so it breaks them down the same way. As long as you're getting in your essentials, eating the same thing everyday is fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Bob on the biggest loser said he has oatmeal every morning for breakfast
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'm an extremely picky eater. I eat basically the same things day in and day out. I rarely try new things or vary too much from my "normal".

I say - if it works for you, why change it? Eat what you like and don't worry about it.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear a scientific explanation as to why this might occur.

It might have impacted my weight loss but things went pretty well even though I ate (and still do) eat many of the same foods frequently.

My results:

http://cbeinfo.net/weight.htm

(I'll need to update that page!)

What I ate is in my diary. For 7 months, I didn't eat a lot, I ate the same meals pretty frequently, and I lost 95 pounds in 7 months. That went OK.
  • yoshi91610
    yoshi91610 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I don't think it really makes a difference about what you eat (I don't have any scientific evidence either) weightloss comes from creating a deficit and eating the right amount of foods, if you make the right food that have enough nutrients I don't see why it makes a difference.

But I can't eat the same thing everyday!