Can you lose a lot of weight with just walking?!?

Options
124»

Replies

• gazz777au
    gazz777au Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yep !

Even without walking ...

As long as I tracked with MFP and counted calories it came off - 84lb in under 2 years (most of it in about 10 months).

Caloric deficit is what does it for getting fat out of the body.

Weight is also made up of muscle, so if you become more active (good advice) you may build muscle.

I did walking 10-20 miles per week (what I did when I was able). Good head-clearing time too.
  • karianmosher
    Options
    I have a 5 year old and the only time I have to exercise is during the week for the most part and I walk 45min fast paced at lunch and then will try and go for 1hr or 2 on the weekends. I don't have money for the gym either. Have gotten my daughter to go for a bike ride while I walk but that doesn't happen everday. I just started myfitnesspal 2 weeks ago monday and have lost 3 lbs and for the most part kept my calorie intake at my goal or lower. Best of luck girls. Karian
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Walking is the only exercise you need. I will be shot for that statement!!!!! that is all I have done so far
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Yes. I lost 50 pounds mostly just walking. about 2 miles a day, 5 days a week.

I gained some back though because I stopped walking.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I don't have much options for a different type of exercise during the week and on the weekends im home with my 3 yr old. We don't have the money for a gym membership so I just walk a lot during the week and if im up to it zumba on the weekends for 20 to 25 min at a time. Will i be able to keep losing weight with just walking? I tried running but i hurt really bad for over a week straight so don't think i wanna try that again for a while. What do you mfp's think? So far since starting i have lost about a lb a week. But didn't know if i will stop losing like this if i don't change things up?
    I personally know people that have lost weight with just walking alone, but their muscle tone wasn't very good.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Surely their upper-body tone wasn't great, but their lower body was in good form? My legs/posterior are in great muscular shape from walking, though I am now trying to find the time to fit in some upper-body exercises to tone up my arms, shoulders and back. To answer the OP, my only exercise is walking - it's all I can fit into my schedule - and I've lost almost two and a half stone since September (most of it before the end of 2011 - 2012 so far has been crazy, and maintenance and slow loss has had to be my default setting since mid-January). Yes, you can lose serious weight by walking and keeping an eye on your diet/food intake.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I don't have much options for a different type of exercise during the week and on the weekends im home with my 3 yr old. We don't have the money for a gym membership so I just walk a lot during the week and if im up to it zumba on the weekends for 20 to 25 min at a time. Will i be able to keep losing weight with just walking? I tried running but i hurt really bad for over a week straight so don't think i wanna try that again for a while. What do you mfp's think? So far since starting i have lost about a lb a week. But didn't know if i will stop losing like this if i don't change things up?

I sold encyclopaedias door to door when I was fresh out of school. i was a little chubby.

Four hours of walking - I just lost weight, and lost weight, and lost weight till I was about 52kg (I'm 5'51/2"). I could eat anything. I could eat mars bars, pies... I'd eat and then go home and consume the dinner mum had left for me in the warmer.

Heh. Best 2 months of my life.
  • Anita0769
    Anita0769 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Im not sure but any form of excercise has got to be better than none surley. I have a a parsons jack russell dog and he and I go for long walks when time permits. Hey if you like add me as your friend and we can support the email walking group. I walk at least and hour or so a day with my dog but in 3/4 sets and at weekends more but am trying to now the weather is better use my bike a little more. Its fun, the kids love it even my older sons and im sure its got to burn calories.
  • melissa221979
    melissa221979 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Walking with the pushchair and a baby carrier is pretty much all ive been doing along with the odd bit of swimming. and ive lost this weight in 3 months. Ive just hit my pre pregnancy weight and am still losing so it can be done. This obviously with watching what I eat. Good luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You don't need to run a marathon to get into shape, walking briskly is excellent exercise.

Walking, in addition to a balanced diet with a reasonable caloric deficit, will result in weight loss and improved cardiovascular fitness.
  • divalivious
    divalivious Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You can also incorporate different things in to you walk like when you come to a park bench you have to do 10 sit to stands/ squats and 10 standing push up using the back of the bench and then the next bench do a different combo of strength moves one for upper and one for lower.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I've always incorporated walking in various forms... Walking dogs, hiking, uphill, downhill, speed walking ect... I love walking :)
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Yes you can! A few years ago, I lost about 40 pounds just walking and not even tracking food. This time so far I have lost 30 pounds mostly walking. I have tried 30 day shred, but I still walked every day with that. Now, I do Zumba and walking everyday!
  • mummy_gerdes
    mummy_gerdes Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    i just started a group for all the walkers if you want to join me! xxx
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Walking is awesome and free. Ok maybe if u want to continue walking indoors on bad days it may be worthwhile spending some money on a treadmill. Oh yea, a pedometer and heart rate monitor also may be useful to you later on particularly if motivation is an issue. Incidentally there are probably many Mfp ers who started walking and ended up getting addicted to running. I'm not there yet but I certainly have started to pick up my pace up to the extent that I regularly jog. Walking continues to be my exercise staple though - even after losing 20kgs. It is after all awesome and free