How do you beat late night snacking (binging?)

Options
I struggle, a lot, with late night snacking. By late night I mean 8pm - 11pm (after the baby has gone to bed). I'm not exactly sure what the root of it is... boredom, habit, emotional eating; and I know a huge part of the battle will be figuring out the "Why" of it all.

Any tips you guys have for different ways to curb the snacking would be great. I've tried not buying things but I still manage to find something/anything to snack on.

Replies

• adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem most nights. Let me know if you figure something out.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,021 Member
    Options
    I know that I like to snack after the kids go to bed so I plan for it. I leave at least 200 cals to save for this. I usually have popcorn, mini rice cakes, a skinny cow ice cream sandwich and then if I still feel like I need something i chew gum, or suck on a sucker or hard candy, fireballs seem to help and take a long time to suck on. I hope this helps
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I have this problem. I don't have kids but whenever I stop studying and sit down to watch tv for half an hour to unwind before bed its like magic I automatically become starving! So annoying. I've found that drinking tea really helps.
  • txbutterfly69
    txbutterfly69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Same problem here. Trying hot tea tonight.
  • KristalDawnO
    KristalDawnO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Go to bed? I really have no clue. It's something I struggle with as well. Today I binged out on cookies of all things. Not good! So - I had to jog 4 miles to make up for it.
  • holli_walker
    holli_walker Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water or low cal options like popcorn, carrots, sometimes dark chocolate.
  • dasblondie
    dasblondie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Try popcorn,edamames,baked chips or lowfat/double churned icecream (in portion), yogurt (frozen too)...just some ideas...try to just incorporate it in you daily goal and if u dont use them, no big deal.....
  • itsasecret22
    Options
    Like another user said- I plan for it. I keep 200-300 cals for when the baby goes to sleep. Tonight I had a slim fast shake and a piece of sees candy. :)
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I absolutely struggle with this as well... Bump for later!
  • dasblondie
    dasblondie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    oh yeah...and if you really dont want to eat any more calories...brush your teeth with really minty tooth paste and drink water...it really seems to health...i think it psychological :smile: just my guess
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the junk you "binge" on. I put binge in quotes because to me a binge is multiple thousands of calories eaten in a sitting, I had a binge eating disorder.

I keep sliced bell peppers, carrots, celery, and fruits at the front of the fridge that way if I cave I'm eating something good. I'd also build in more "snacks" and/or save calories for when you eat at night. Maybe get more protein in during the day, it always helps me feel full longer.

My last advice is a glass of two of wine, puts me to sleep quite nicely most nights.
  • sweetly_spicy
    sweetly_spicy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A special aromatic tea ( remember not to add sugar/milk), or a warm, comforting green tea is best.

Often I'll save just enough for a single square of dark chocolate to go with (i.e. < 50 calories). Once I'm done my square, I'll brush my teeth. That often helps to curb random snacking.

If none of that works, I let myself have some steamed non-fat milk with a single pump of sugar-free flavour syrup added. That works out to < 100 calories too.
  • mcrmsi77
    mcrmsi77 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem!!! I usually put what ever snack or indulgence I really want in my diary ahead of time that way I know how much to eat for the day and stay within my guidelines as much as possible! But I always have pretzels in the pantry... they are only 110 calories and you can have 23 of them!!! Sometimes I have even doubled that! Not good to do all the time but def. great snack!!! I would just set aside 100 or 200 calories on days you know for sure you will want a midnight snack! :) hope this helps
  • Jendegeorge
    Options
    I struggle, a lot, with late night snacking. By late night I mean 8pm - 11pm (after the baby has gone to bed). I'm not exactly sure what the root of it is... boredom, habit, emotional eating; and I know a huge part of the battle will be figuring out the "Why" of it all.

Any tips you guys have for different ways to curb the snacking would be great. I've tried not buying things but I still manage to find something/anything to snack on.

I've had the same problem my entire life. I think mine was a learned behavior but also boredom, habit, emotional, all you mentioned. I figured out the secret though! Lean in close...it's a secret...*whispering* I go to bed! haha. Seriously, the main trick for me is LOTSA water and even sipping herbal tea (celestial seasonings 'tension tamer' or a peppermint tea) and just getting my butt to bed instead of being alone with the pantry calling my name. Television is also VERY bad for that time of night, it just reminds you constantly in shows and commercials of all the eating you need to do...subliminal of course. But seriously....more sleep. I changed my habits and started going to bed early (NOT my favorite as my abusive childhood makes that VERY hard to do) but I immediately lost weight at a faster pace. You know, the articles always say that sleep is important to weight loss, but to me it always seemed lazy for me to go to bed early when it was a perfect time while everyone was sleeping for me to do laundry, dishes, cleaning, etc. But it's just not as healthy. *sigh* My best to you, sweetie! **hugs**
  • rjdz
    rjdz Posts: 2
    Options
    I hear you! I have struggled with this too. After the babes are in bed it's me time and I want a snack while I relax. Looking after small children can be very exhausting no matter how much you love them. I found that I wanted a reward at the end of the day. Also being able to eat without a little person wanting you to share it is a big motivator for me. There is something so indulgent about an uninterrupted snack when you have little ones.
    But I have found a few things that work for me.
    Firstly keeping my hands busy with something else like embroidery stitching, crocheting, drawing, writing, pinterest, or blogging.
    Secondly keeping my fluid intake up. In the evening I will have a big water bottle full of h2o and/or a herbal tea I really love. It is worth the splurge to buy an expensive tea if I love it because it feels more like a treat when I drink it.
    Thirdly if I absolutely must chew something I will grab gum. And if that doesn't work I always keep snap peas and baby carrots in the fridge for crunchy snacking. Also air popped popcorn is low cal and crunchy. I find it is too dry on its own though so (to satisfy my sweettooth) I sometimes sprinkle it with cinnamon (which is apparently great for metabolism) and drizzle with just a touch of natural honey.
    And if all else fails, once in a while, I will have potato chips with dill pickle dip, or dark chocolate, or m&m's (but only 1 portion size) because the occasional garbage food indulgence is not the end of the world
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I just started this week but I plan for the calories too. I know I'm going to be hungry about two hours after dinner and I hate going to sleep on an empty stomach so I leave 200-500 calories available so I can eat. The only thing I've done is have pre portioned, calorie controlled food ready so I don't keep mindlessly eating.

I think it helps to know that even though I just had an after dinner snack that I still have calories for another snack or even two later. There isn't any point where I have to say to myself "You're out of calories--you can't have anything else to eat". That kind of thought process would almost guarantee I'd end up binging whether I was hungry or not.

Anyway, that's worked for me so far and I'm really surprised. This time last week I was probably eating 3000-6000 calories a day with absolutely no limits--a large portion of that at night--and now I've been eating 1200-1500 calories without a problem. I honestly thought I'd be miserable and hungry for weeks while my body adjusted to normal portion sizes but that hasn't been the case at all.
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I do several things...

I always save calories for late night and have desert.
    Sometimes I will have a big bowl of sugar free jello with cool whip (60 cal max)
    Drink water
    Chew gum
    do something active

If it gets really bad I allow myself to go over but not above maintenance and then try to equal it out to make my weekly goal under still!
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a 100 calorie bag of popcorn every night recently. I plan it in my calories. It's filling and it's actually a lot of food for 100 calories.
  • kfle018
    kfle018 Posts: 15
    Options
    OMG this is the story of my life. at exactly 8pm im irritable and hungry. even if i eat at 7.59pm. hahaha so what I have is 4-5 dried apricots (if im craving sweets- these are my life savers!!) or else if i am truely hungry i have 1/2 a cup of cereal with no milk ...its ALMOST like eating potato chips (hahaha i wish!!)...but it does the trick!
  • loulou2085
    Options
    I have been known to binge massively in the past, especially when my boyfriend leaves the house. But i have found myself not doing it so far this year. It doesn't mean i havent gone to that food cupboard to see what i can eat, but i get there and think of why i am doing this and instead i fill up a bottle of water and drink that and it surpresses my appetite, if that fails i just go to bed. I have known some people to write up their goal and stick somewhere which can be seen easily in their kitchen, this way you're reminded of your goal everytime you go into your kitchen and gives you the motivation to eat only when really necessary.