Couch 2 5K motivation and support group!

Options
2»

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Did you see a physiotherapist or just a gp? What is wrong with your knee that you can't run at all? Are you able to do something for it?

Pam
  • ddavies919
    ddavies919 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I have a droid phone and found the C25KLite app, is that a good one? I want something that's going to prompt me what to do.
  • stopdropandlose
    stopdropandlose Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I actually started today! I got a treadmill and decided I should work on my running...it's pretty bad. I felt really good after doing it...I think I might do it more than three times a week, though.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I encourage anyone to take up running and I know of several people who used C25K successfully. If you are looking for a run to do that looks FUN as well as a 5K, check out www.thecolorrun.com. I love to run, so I'm taking my 5 and 6 year old girls with me on this one. We can walk, skip, hop, jump and run the course and I think it will be a great bonding experience for us as well.
    I'm starting training for the Disneyland half next week. I cannot WAIT!
  • ddavies919
    Options
    I'm excited! I'm starting tomorrow! Woo hoo! After reading everyone's posts, I'm looking forward to actually enjoying running! Plus, one of my goals is to someday, run a half marathon!

Thanks for the encouragement and I'll keep everyone posted!

Deb
  • Xgunslingerx
    Options
    I started C25K last week. I downloaded the c25klite app for droid. Last week I did the week 1 program every weekday (5 times) and plan to do that for the entire plan. I finished day 1 of week 2 just a few minutes ago and feel great. I was walking everyday for 45 minutes @ 3MPH before. I feel that the c25k would be better for my overall cardiovascular health, as well as only taking about 30 minutes per day, thus saving time. The program is nice. Last week I found myself giving myself little challenges, just increasing my run rep times a little. I'm pretty out of shape and feel this program can help me learn to run. I've always hated running before. I also lift weights 4 days per week as a part of my weight loss/get fit program.
  • bheimbrock
    bheimbrock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Finished C2K5 before the holidays and I have to tell you, it is truly a Miracle program! As with everyone else, I LOATHED running!!! Even in high school when I was a puny 120 pounds! Started the program with a friend and looked ahead thinking, "What?! 8 min run, NO WAY will I be able to do that!!" Guess what, it was EASY! Love it so much that I just started the Bridge to 10k program last week. It's definitely tougher (obviously) but I KNOW I can do it!
  • bheimbrock
    bheimbrock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Oh, and for those asking for an app, the C25k lite is good but it doesn't track everything. Use Runkeeper (also free) and just input your program manually each time in the activities. That way, you can get your time, pace, etc and it gives you as many (or as little) audio prompts as you want! I started out with lots of prompts to keep me motivated but now that I can run 5k, I just do a prompt at 5 mins and every mile.
  • baileyesp
    baileyesp Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Started week four last night! It's great to see myself being able to run for longer periods of time each week :) so satisfying! I did my 3 minute runs at 11km/hr and my five minute runs at 10km/hr. But today I'm looking at doing all of the running intervals at 11km/hr. Ultimately I want to work myself up to run 6km in half an hour, I can't wait :)
  • kwikstop
    kwikstop Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Week 4 run 2!! Tomorrow!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I've done something similar and if you take your time it's not impossible. I think the trick is to build up very gradually. The way I did it was to start walking first of all for a few weeks and then when it was quite I used to break out into a gentle trot for a few meters and then walk again. Very soon I could trot more than I was walking and then I was running all the way around. As I've said though I think I made it because I took my time rather than rush it. I looked at it as a lifestyle change. for me I ended up running to far to fast, I ended up completing a half marathon but developed tendinitis so I've had 2 years off. Went out for a couple of 3K runs over Christmas though and nothing hurt so I'm going back to it. This brings me on to my final experience - I think I got badly injured because I increased my distance to fast but also (and mainly) because i didn't stretch out after the runs. I stretch my calf's every day now so if you are starting out I would recommend you follow suit - even on the days you are not exercising. It takes less 1 1/2 minutes to do this properly (2x20 secs per leg L-R-L-R) and if it can save your whole exercise programme from disaster. Its better to become supple than to to end up not being able to walk lol
  • ddavies919
    Options
    Grrrrrr!!!!! I came home to grab my headphones so i could listen to my Pandora while I started and they're no where to be found! I think my son has them! Needless to say, it didn't happen today. I actually tried to do it in my house while I watched the news but it's not the same as moving outside!

I ended up doing my Turbo Fire and still got a great sweat!

Thanks again for all the tips guys! And feel free to keep posting here if you want, I could use the support!

Deb
  • zta1989
    zta1989 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I did my second day today. I accidentally repeated W1D1 because I forgot to scroll to W1D2, but I have to admit that this is a cool program for easing back into running. I haven't really run since college (which was sporadic then) - almost 20 years ago. I've set myself a goal of running at least one 5K before December 31.
  • Osu2k1
    Osu2k1 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Starting week 2 today!!!