When should I eat breakfast?

Options
I have a question about breakfast. I normally am up early, between 6:30 and 7 getting breakfast ready for the kiddos and taking care of my 8 month old. I normally drink a couple glasses of water and a couple cups of coffee between then and about 9:30. It's normally 10 by the time that I make my breakfast. I could eat earlier if I was only going to make a quick bowl of cereal, but I've found that even the 'diet' cereals aren't good for my diet b/c of the sugar in it and the milk. So here's my question, is it ok for my metabolism to be eating breakfast so late? It might not matter the time I guess, but I do believe breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day. Any advice would be great!!

Replies

• yarnlady57
    Options
    I find I do better when I eat earlier than that. I get up and go to work with disabled kids. If I don't eat, it's time o hit vending machines. I have high fiber whole grain toast with peanut butter or nutella on it. That keeps me going until noon.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Eating early will not do anything to your metabolism. That's just a myth. As Sadiemi says, some people find themselves overly hungry if they don't eat first thing. But if what you're doing is working for you, then continue.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    When you feel like it.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    as long as you eat it before 10am, you'll be fine. if you eat it after 11am, you're body think's you are eating lunch, so it metabolizes the food differently. DO NOT eat between 10am and 11am. your body will have no idea what meal it is eating, and just convert the food into fat. trust me on this. i'm a bro.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    You should eat breakfast before 11 AM. After 11 AM and before 4 PM it would be called lunch, after 4 PM I'd call it dinner.
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Best time to eat is always when you are hungry! Listen to your body and you can't go wrong. :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    When you are hungry for it. I only eat right when I get up if I wake up starving. Personally within an hour or so usually works for me. Typically if I wait as many hours as you I end up eating some kind of snack at 10 and then moving right into lunch though!
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    im up about 7:30am and i have my breakfast around 8am - 8:30am :)

i have a little time to wake up properly, go to the loo, prepare breakfast etc
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    When you feel like it.

Anything else is a metabolic myth.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the first meal of my day. And I eat it when others are usually eating their lunch....
  • shuttermom3
    Options
    You should eat something (banana, yogurt, protein shake) with in 30 minutes of getting up. Gets your metabolism going. I can't drink water in the morning, I've tried. Makes me nauseous. But I do the mini meals through out the morning. 6am wake with oj and a banana. 8am bus stop with a yogurt or toast. 10am office with granola bar.
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    Studies show that to keep your metabolism boosted and really revved up for the day, you should eat something within 1 hour of waking. Even something small gets your system working.
  • Lauralovesmfp
    Lauralovesmfp Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I try to have a protein shake within an hour of getting up and then I try to eat every three hours! My stomach sure lets me know it's time to eat now!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    You should eat something (banana, yogurt, protein shake) with in 30 minutes of getting up. Gets your metabolism going.
    If this works for you, fabulous. Please don't state it as fact. If your metabolism is stopping, seek medical attention.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Studies show that to keep your metabolism boosted and really revved up for the day, you should eat something within 1 hour of waking. Even something small gets your system working.

Where are these studies? The metabolism is always running, it does not need to be revved up. I don't eat breakfast and I am doing just fine.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I have a question about breakfast. I normally am up early, between 6:30 and 7 getting breakfast ready for the kiddos and taking care of my 8 month old. I normally drink a couple glasses of water and a couple cups of coffee between then and about 9:30. It's normally 10 by the time that I make my breakfast. I could eat earlier if I was only going to make a quick bowl of cereal, but I've found that even the 'diet' cereals aren't good for my diet b/c of the sugar in it and the milk. So here's my question, is it ok for my metabolism to be eating breakfast so late? It might not matter the time I guess, but I do believe breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day. Any advice would be great!!

Anytime you want to eat. I normally don't eat breakfast and Intermittently Fast until the afternoon when I have my mid-day meal (between noon and 3) and then I eat a light supper sometime in the evening. Lunch is my largest meal of the day.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    You should eat breakfast before 11 AM. After 11 AM and before 4 PM it would be called lunch, after 4 PM I'd call it dinner.

Unless you are eating on the weekend between 10am and 2pm. Then it's called brunch.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

Unless you are eating on the weekend between 10am and 2pm. Then it's called brunch.

madness.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I would say within the first hour. My daughter is an elite athlete and she is required to eat within the first hour then off to training she goes. So I do the same except for the training part. If you need further assistance you can look up things on the internet that end with .org .edu .gov these sites are not biased and have been peer reviewed and are known to be correct. DO NOT TRUST Wikipedia for info their sites if not constantly monitored can be changed by anyone. The Mayo Clinic is a good site

Also If you want a true and correct answer you will not get it here. If you read these post everyone has there own opinion and that is just what it is an opinion, most of us are not Doctors are licensed dietitians. When we hear something that we agree with all of a sudden it becomes our truth. Then we have the need to bash others and their opinions if they do not reflect ours. So my dear you will need to look else where for you answer as we continue to bash, insult, and play the I know everything card and you don't na, na, na. As you know no matter how old we get we never lose our inner child.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    It is recommended you eat breakfast no later than 2 hours from waking.