What do you do after a binge/overeating?

Options

Replies

• TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I had my first slip-up in months last night. Don't hate me for this, but I had the munchies, if you know what I mean (I very rarely smoke anymore- this is one reason why). I ate a little less than my maintenance calories for 2 days in one night. (Gross, I know. Stuff happens.)
    I added the foods I ate to MFP- split up the calories over today and tomorrow. I'm going to eat around 500 calories today and tomorrow (most or all of it will be lean protein), add 30 minutes to my normal cardio time, and do my usual strength training. This will cancel out all the extra calories I ate in the binge, AND leave me at my safe set net of a minimum of 1200 calories, so I'll still be in weight-loss-zone.
    I know, it sounds unhealthy, intense, dangerous, whatever else you want to call it, but this is the only way I can cancel out a binge without feeling guilty- and I can handle it. This is my personal preference, so I can get past this setback as quickly as possible and have no trace on my body that it ever happened.
    What do you all do after a slip-up like this?
    Split the calories up?
    No offense, but this is absurd. PLEASE!

Just start fresh today and don't engage in any such starvation tomfoolery that's really you trying to punish yourself.
    Just feel the guilt, own the guilt, then move on.

If your solution to a blunder is to follow it up with another blunder, prepare to fail in the end.
    How about this: just eat right TODAY and let yesterday fade away?

Success is about stringing together several good days that become good weeks, months ect.
    Ruining yourself today is no solution for yesterday's mistake. Now you have even more to make up for.

Not good!
    Thanks for saving me the typing, that's exactly what I was going to say.

If you must do "something" after a binge / overeating, spend some time reflecting on what triggered you to do that, and resolving not to recreate those conditions.
  • ngory07
    ngory07 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    That's what I hate about Mary Jane!!! That girl always gives me the munchies!! I had wls but one night about 2 months ago I partook and I ate sooooo much junk!! Now my bf said it speeds up your metabolism and helps you burn calories but he's a pothead so I'm not sure if this is accurate. I agree with what the others said about saying whoops and moving on. This is a journey. I don't always eat the best things for my body but its a learning process. Just eat normally and drink a crap ton on water!!! Keep on pushing!!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    after stopping immediately get back on track
  • HarrietSabre
    HarrietSabre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i plan the slips as best i can, budget calories, and increase exercise.

second, if you're looking to stop smoking, there's no need to gain weight. Allen Carr's easy way book made it pretty simple for me to stop in 2008.

not that kind of smoking, I presume...
  • Tdnb00
    Tdnb00 Posts: 7
    Options
    if you have the time, work out hard the next day. but dont plan starve yourself (esp for 2 days) because that sets a very unreasonable goal which will make you miserable for longer than it will to naturally work off the extra calories. also dec always is the worst month of the year for calories. in the unlikely event that you ate 3600 cals extra on a binge day, that is just one pound, which you will take off over time.
  • tallstrip36
    Options
    Thanks! im brand new to this site. I like your poat the best. Im really good at overeating and not gettign back on track to busy punishing myself by more overeating. I good hike sounds like a much better plan for my future
  • cricketannie
    cricketannie Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I had my first slip-up in months last night. Don't hate me for this, but I had the munchies, if you know what I mean (I very rarely smoke anymore- this is one reason why). I ate a little less than my maintenance calories for 2 days in one night. (Gross, I know. Stuff happens.)
    I added the foods I ate to MFP- split up the calories over today and tomorrow. I'm going to eat around 500 calories today and tomorrow (most or all of it will be lean protein), add 30 minutes to my normal cardio time, and do my usual strength training. This will cancel out all the extra calories I ate in the binge, AND leave me at my safe set net of a minimum of 1200 calories, so I'll still be in weight-loss-zone.
    I know, it sounds unhealthy, intense, dangerous, whatever else you want to call it, but this is the only way I can cancel out a binge without feeling guilty- and I can handle it. This is my personal preference, so I can get past this setback as quickly as possible and have no trace on my body that it ever happened.
    Split the calories up?

Just start fresh today and don't engage in any such starvation tomfoolery that's really you trying to punish yourself.

If your solution to a blunder is to follow it up with another blunder, prepare to fail in the end.

Success is about stringing together several good days that become good weeks, months ect.
    Ruining yourself today is no solution for yesterday's mistake. Now you have even more to make up for.

Not good!

I agree! There is no need to punish yourself. And if you still feel like you MUST punish yourself, why not take it out on yourself with a long hard workout, and then eat the amount of food your body actually needs to be healthy.
    It's not about the number of calories you eat...it's about being healthy.
    Sometimes you crave more foods (for whatever reasons legal or not) This doesn't mean you have ruined your body or diet...it just means...well, you overate. Build a bridge and get over it.
    Everyone has slip-ups. The important thing to remember is that you can start each day anew.
  • omgitsgarry
    Options
    Honestly, I haven't been on program lately myself and what I am doing right now is forgiving and forgetting. I use to do what you did and it only made me hungier to the point where I would go downstairs and binge more. It works better for me if I don't compensate for what I eat, if I just have a normal day the next day, it seems to be better. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and just keep moving. Don't make adjustments, just forgive and forget.
  • Armygirl67
    Armygirl67 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

I wouldn't just call it a whoops day. You're trying to hold yourself accountable, nothing wrong with that. I'll be the first to say, I have the odd binge days, kids birthdays, what not, life gets inthe way sometimes, even for a die hard gym freak like me. I tend to do a 24hr fast. It's easier for me to do..I'll stop eating let's say at 2p.m today and nothing but water until 2p.m tomorrow, I find it the most effiecent way to recover, and you saved an entires day worth of calories. There's a whole book on this type of fasting. I wouldn't recommend it for a weekly thing but it's definitely saved my a** a few times. In that 24hr span, I only do mild cardio,,,nothing taxing,

This !!!
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Just get back on track..It happens. Your aware of it, own it..and move on, 1 bad day does not make all the days bad! Just look at your weeks worth of meals/snacks. If your depriving yourself, days like this happen more. Work your craving foods into your weekly meals. depriving yourself can lead to major munchies..

Your human, its all good. Just jump back on track:-)
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Sooo... you punished your body by over indulging yesterday.... and today... to make it "better" .... you're going to punish it again by starving it of fuel to burn to maintain itself....? C'mon now... Chalk it up to a mistake.. or a good time even.. and if you feel the need to "repent"..... EXERCISE!
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I pick myself up, brush the cookie crumbs from my shirt and move on!!

I don't binge but I have days where I'm just over because I went out, had a party, someone else planned food etc. Those days are part of life. Losing weight isn't about perfection. It's about doing what's best for you MOST of the time. One bad day doesn't ruin the others. Plus...it's nice to let lose and enjoy some things once in a while!
  • Kap10
    Kap10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sinkisses - remind me to duck next time you over eat for the day :sick:
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Get back on track ASAP.... That's all you can do.... I don't agree with your splitting up calories... You'll harm your metabolism that way. Just deal with the fact that you messed up & make sure you eat extra clean to make up for it!! :)
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Sooo... you punished your body by over indulging yesterday.... and today... to make it "better" .... you're going to punish it again by starving it of fuel to burn to maintain itself....? C'mon now... Chalk it up to a mistake.. or a good time even.. and if you feel the need to "repent"..... EXERCISE!

This! Exercise is alot better than starving yourself! you burn around 1300 calories everyday just by being alive (check your bmr).
    In order to gain weight from one binge, you would have to eat your daily calorie allowance plus 3500calories (1lbs), I doubt you've eaten 5000 calories, so you shouldn't be worrying about one binge so much. if it's really getting to you, go for a jog!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I think it comes more natural to say "move on and go back to normal healthy days" if that has truly become your lifestyle. Which means your entire mindset, your grocery list, your weekly schedule, your family budget, etc. is all geared towards a healthy lifestyle. Your metabolism can rebound easily and while you might not show a loss on the scale this week, I think many people on MFP would agree that seeing that gain or that maintenance on the scale is the best way to realize "I don't want this to happen again." Next time you feel like binging, recalling the sinking feeling from not having a loss on the scale should be enough to make you put down the food--IF being healthy has become your lifestyle. (I personally have found that slightly better than normal eating and a little extra workout over the 2 days following a day I'm over on calories results in no negative effects on the scale.)

Until your lifestyle is geared around health, you have to do whatever it takes for you personally to get over a binge.
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Split the calories up?

Not good!

^^This^^
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Projectile vomit.
  • krazyforyou
    Options
    Bad, bad girl
  • krazyforyou
    Options
    I am the definition of a type A personality, so I am ususally very hard on myself when I screw the pooch myself. But there are simply days when we are all gonna overeat. But to starve yourself is simply another way of punishing your body for your brain's decision. It will only serve to slow your metabolisiom way down and make it difficulty to recover and loose properly. So let it go and move on.