How the hell...

Options

Replies

• thatgirl125
    thatgirl125 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I thought I was huge too. In middle school I was involved in many sports and only weighed 105 lbs. My mom kept telling me that I could lose another 5lbs and it went on for forever. Eventually after continuously trying to lose weight and telling my mom that i will never lose the 5 lbs I gave up. Going into high school I weighed 110, then after my 9th grade year I stopped playing sports and went up to 115 lbs in 10th grade. My mom kept telling me I needed to lose weight. Well then he came 11th grade and I weighed 122lbs and could never lose the weight (I weigh 123 right now). At the end of my senior year I weighed 135lbs. And of course all my mom kept saying was more me to lose weight. When I went off to college in the florida keys I weighed myself on my dads scale (I was living with him down there) I weighed 145 lbs. I could not believe it. My mom kept telling me I needed to lose weight even when I was 105 lbs and I just pretty much said to hell with it.
    I can understand how in your position others made you feel that way, and at that age you do not realize the effect they have on you. I from time to time look at old pictures from when I was younger and wonder how in the heck my mom kept telling me I needed to lose weight, because I was SMALL.
    Now, just like you, I am now taking control and I am PROUD of YOU for that. And do not ever listen to what others have to say, if you are happy with how you are then that is the best way for you to be!
  • derposaurus
    derposaurus Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    oh wow I see there's a few stories like mine. basically going through puberty ahead of everyone else.

I got my period at age 10 as well. had already started wearing a bra the year before that. becoming "womanly" at a much faster pace obviously made me heavier. sounds like the same story for everyone else. for a womans body, i was fine. but for a young girls body (which all my peers still were) i was very different. it was awkward. everybody seemed to catch up in high school though.
  • trolkeeper
    trolkeeper Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i know,I was a size 12 at about 16 y/o and all my friends were size 6, i was also 5ft 6 and they were 5ft tall. i felt so insecure and out of place altho they never seemed to mind, it was and still is all in my head. i am now size 18, what was i thinking wow
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Hitting puberty in and of itself doesn't result in pudginess.

It can and does result in weight gain for many females. Due to changes in hormones and general shape.

http://teens.webmd.com/girls/facts-about-puberty-girls
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options

It can and does result in weight gain for many females. Due to changes in hormones and general shape.

[/quote]

Yes, weight gain. Not to the point of being overweight, unless there's an eating/activity problem.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Same. I felt so HUGE, towering over everybody.

Yes, weight gain. Not to the point of being overweight, unless there's an eating/activity problem.

I was within the healthy weight range for my height then. I just had a little bit of baby fat on my face, arms and tummy.
    "You may notice more body fat along the upper arms, thighs, and upper back." (http://teens.webmd.com/girls/facts-about-puberty-girls)

I was not clinically overweight, but was made to feel clinically obese. Which was my point. At no point in this thread have I said I had a "perfect" body, and I didn't realise 13 year olds were meant to have "perfect" bodies. I was healthy.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Puberty does result in pudginess for some girls. Not all, but definitely some. When I was 14 I put on some weight and then when I was 16 it just fell off as I grew up and into my more adult body. I didn't watch what I ate or do any extra exercise, it was just the way I developed. I was a high school teacher for 4 years and I watched this happen to countless girls. It's heartbreaking to watch them obsess over weight that will mostly likely disappear on its own. Sure there are super skinny girls who get through puberty with no weight gain but they often have their own issues, like worrying about not having enough curves. It's hard for everyone during that time of development.

OP I was 125 in high school and wore a size 4/6 prom dress and I thought I was one of the pudgy girls. Oh to go back and tell myself how good I looked. . . :)
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    She obviously had standards as did we all.

And she was not happy with herself by her own admission.
    Some are way too thin skinned.

This is not an echo chamber but an open forum. Nothing was meant to be unkind.
    Sorry....:sad:
  • Horskrzy
    Horskrzy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My two kids are grown and gone so I can freely dispense advice with 20/20 hindsight!

Set the example by eating right and exercising and require the same of your kids (I failed to do this). If they still express concern about their weight (assuming it's within medical averages) you can honestly sit them down and show them that this is where their body wants to be at in this point of their life. If the concerns were because of teasing and it persists, perhaps then the solution would be for your kid to challenge to the name calling jerk for a two week long competition in the gym, track, pool, etc (obviously your kid would pick the areas they're already familiar with). That should get rid of most of the snide remarks real quick and who knows, after two weeks of exercising together they may even become friends!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

This is not an echo chamber but an open forum. Nothing was meant to be unkind.

Even if you meant no ill-intent, can you not see what a ****bag move it is to say someone is fat on a post where they are talking about how damaging it was when others called her fat?

Comments like yours led her to believe that she was fatter than she really was, leading to poor self-esteem and risky dieting behavior.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    TELL ME ABOUT! All through high school I thought I was fat. Now, all I want to be is my high school weight again! If I had that time machine fixed, I would go back and tell myself to ENJOY IT!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

This is not an estrogen echo chamber but an open forum. Nothing was meant to be unkind.
    Well obviously you didn't read the original post in it's entirety before posting. If you had, you would have seen that it was about bullies who make comments like the one you did.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    Options

This is not an estrogen echo chamber but an open forum. Nothing was meant to be unkind.

They weren't MY standards. They were standards forced upon my by years of bullying. This picture is after 7 years of being called fat when I wasn't. I would be happy at that weight now, no it's not "peak condition" but personally I don't want LITTLE GIRLS to be worried about being in what *kitten* holes like you would consider "Peak condition".
    I was a little chubby but I was HEALTHY, so I should have been happy. You have kids yeah?
    Are they girls?
    Even if they are at a healthy weight, will you show them pictures of fitness magazines at age 13 and say "LOOK! THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD LOOK LIKE! YOU SHOULD BE PERFECT! NO PUPPY FAT FOR YOU!"?
  • beckipercy
    beckipercy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    This sounds EXACTLY like me. I was chubby from the age of around 8, but definitely not fat. The more I got called fat, the more I ate, until I actually was fat. And my parents told me over and over that I was fine. Even now, my parents are always telling me to eat more, and exercise less, and that I'm losing too much weight (bearing in mind I still weigh over 16 stone and have never lost more than 3lb in one week) I know they love me, but they really do not help!
  • Court222010
    Options
    I just asked myself this question today. I was looking at pictures from early high school. When I was 16 I was 5'6" and weighing in at 150 lbs (and I carried it very well!). Looking back at these photos I wondered how I ever thought I was fat because I really did look GOOD! In October of this year I weighed 209 pounds at 5'7" and I didn't look good anymore :cry:
    I was constantly comparing myself to the other girls I went to school with that were no taller than 5'3" and didn't weight more than 120 lbs. I thought I was disgusting and super overweight--but really I was healthy and looked awesome! It's sad to think that I took that body for granted and sacrificed my selfesteem and all confidence because of our toxic society. Now I'm working on gaining back that self esteem, confidence, and rockin body! :happy:
  • sizzlinoverthefat
    sizzlinoverthefat Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    3 meals plus 2 snacks will work:
    Breakfast eat like a queen

snack like a bird (fruits & or nuts)

Lunch eat like a peasant

snack like a bird again

Dinner eat like a pauper

still hunger have light yogurt!
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    And that's why high school sucks...

I wish it was highschool, this was in primary school - ages 5-12 :| It's really hard to get the ideas they put in your mind out of there when it's been enforced from such a young age

Actually, in all honesty, it started in primary school for me, too. It was around the age of 12-14 that I started working out and eating healthy but it was before 12 that I was always called fat and was starving myself sometimes.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    ...my mom was always "dieting" and talked with me openly about how my younger sister was overweight so I never wanted to be her next target.

My mom was exactly like that - but my sister was the thinner one.

My mom too. My sister was the thin one.......she actually ended up with anorexia and bulimia. My sister said she heard all the "let's diet together" stuff that my mom said and decided she didn't want to be in my position. So she turned to anorexia, and eventually bulimia.

The things we do to our children.........
  • sexforjaffacakes
    Options
    ...my mom was always "dieting" and talked with me openly about how my younger sister was overweight so I never wanted to be her next target.

My mom was exactly like that - but my sister was the thinner one.

My mom too. My sister was the thin one.......she actually ended up with anorexia and bulimia. My sister said she heard all the "let's diet together" stuff that my mom said and decided she didn't want to be in my position. So she turned to anorexia, and eventually bulimia.

The things we do to our children.........

I can't imagine how hard that must be, I mean it's difficult in different ways to have parents who contsantly tell you you're perfect (doesn't sound like a problem I know but it can be), but I can't imagine how tough it is to hear that kinda stuff from the person that is meant to love you and do everything in the world to look after you more than anyone else ):
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I was 142 lbs in high school and thought I was MORBIDLY OBESE. Strange how time changes things....142 lbs is my goal weight. Our body images are so warped my media and well meaning(hopefully!) family & friends. Embrace your body and love it!