"Good" Carbs

Options
Hi peeps,

I keep on staying well below my Goal Carbs (+- 212) per day and I don't want to start eating bread to fill it up, I do however eat couscous from time to time.

Is there anything else I could try except pasta or potatoes?

Thanks!

Replies

• adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Quinoa! And oatmeal (but not the instant stuff, go for the whole rolled oats). :flowerforyou:
  • JakoRens
    Options
    Kewl, thanks! Will give oatmeal a try! :smile:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats, brown rice, multigrain anything.
    I like a good bowl of cereal before bed!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Rice

50# sacks are pretty cheap at asian stores or Costco

invest in a good rice cooker - it makes all the difference
  • Ironbeak88
    Ironbeak88 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Stay away from potatoes, they're high on the glycemic index and will actually cause weight gain. Try whole wheat bread, kamut, or sprouted grain breads.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    No need to eat the carbs MFP gives you. MFP tends to be high on carbs and low on protein. You can go in and change you %, maybe increase protein by 5-10% and lower carbs by the same. The fat goal on MFP is pretty reasonable.

To make the change, go to goals, > change goals > Custom > make your changes > save changes.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Stay away from potatoes, they're high on the glycemic index and will actually cause weight gain. Try whole wheat bread, kamut, or sprouted grain breads.

Food high on GI index does not mean you will gain weight. You will only gain weight if you take in more calories than you consume. high GI foods are only bad from those with or prone to diabetes.
  • JakoRens
    Options
    Thanks Eric, Yep, I keep going over Protein and under Carbs... Will do!
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    No need to eat the carbs MFP gives you. MFP tends to be high on carbs and low on protein. You can go in and change you %, maybe increase protein by 5-10% and lower carbs by the same. The fat goal on MFP is pretty reasonable.

To make the change, go to goals, > change goals > Custom > make your changes > save changes.

I agree. I ignore the carbs part, go over the protein a bit, hit the calorie goal.
  • Ironbeak88
    Ironbeak88 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Food high on GI index does not mean you will gain weight. You will only gain weight if you take in more calories than you consume. high GI foods are only bad from those with or prone to diabetes.

Recently from a local nutritionist I have heard otherwise...It's a new discovery. I'm not saying don't ever eat potatoes, but be aware of your intake.
  • MrsGreenTea703
    MrsGreenTea703 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Agreed, beware of potatoes, white bread, and white sugar. My carb intake for the day is anywhere between 30-40g and I couldn't be happier. I eat absolutely no bread or potatoes and believe it or not, but that food is not the best for your body. Your topic is called "Good" carbs, well these are not them. This is a great lifestyle for me and it's working.

Some of the "Good" carbs come from your dark green veggies, cauliflower, and cabbage. There is a wonderful Cauliflower rice that you can make or you can make mashed cauliflower. You would want to stay away from the bad carbs in carrots and corn. Also don't use vegetable oil, instead use Olive Oil. These are just a few of many things I've learned in the last 5 months. I'm here if you need anything!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Recently from a local nutritionist I have heard otherwise...It's a new discovery. I'm not saying don't ever eat potatoes, but be aware of your intake.

They are wrong
  • diam0nddagger
    Options
    I'll have to try Cauliflower rice that sounds amazing! I struggle to not eat bread for lunch when I'm working, but it's wholegrain at least.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Bulgar wheat. Does a similar thing to couscous but contains more protein.

I take what you're really aiming for here is to have additional nutrients riding along with your carbs?
  • bghere
    bghere Posts: 42
    Options
    Carbs are your friend. Carbs, especially those junk food types with no nutritional values are bad. Carbs are NOT a friend to anyone who is mostly sedentary. Potatos are very good for, unless you are insulin sensitive, eat all you want, they are nutritional, and burn off like any other carb if you take the time to do it. If you exercise though, and are otherwise active, your body must have carbs to power your muscles. Oatmeal is a great slow burn energy provider, if you are into endurance type of exercising
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Carbs are your friend. Carbs, especially those junk food types with no nutritional values are bad. Carbs are NOT a friend to anyone who is mostly sedentary. Potatos are very good for, unless you are insulin sensitive, eat all you want, they are nutritional, and burn off like any other carb if you take the time to do it. If you exercise though, and are otherwise active, your body must have carbs to power your muscles. Oatmeal is a great slow burn energy provider, if you are into endurance type of exercising

Why not?
  • kazza135
    kazza135 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, my dietician told me to have basmati rice as this is best rice carb :happy:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

::SIGH::

Assuming that was true, we'd predictably find that low GI diets would be superior for weight loss, correct?
  • bghere
    bghere Posts: 42
    Options
    But I like oatmeal
  • It's very important to have complex carbs

as others have stated oatmeal is a great slow digesting carb. i have it every morning :) just regular old fashioned oats.

others are veggies, sweet potatoes, Ezekiel bread, brown rice, unsalted rice cakes, flat out wraps-- these are the only ones you need.

Stay away from white bread, white rice, ect. No whites!! :)