"Good" Carbs

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    It's very important to have complex carbs

as others have stated oatmeal is a great slow digesting carb. i have it every morning :) just regular old fashioned oats.

others are veggies, sweet potatoes, Ezekiel bread, brown rice, unsalted rice cakes, flat out wraps-- these are the only ones you need.

Stay away from white bread, white rice, ect. No whites!! :)

Any particular reason why?
  • You need carbs in your diet-- some more then others but carbs are not the enemy. They help with your overall energy and healthy it's calories in calories out--your body needs all sources of nutrients to operate and function best.

some carbs in theory are better then others but cutting things out of your diet is not healthy and will not help you loose weight any faster. you are doing this for your health right?

do it healthy then.
  • wendyw8
    wendyw8 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Agreed, beware of potatoes, white bread, and white sugar. My carb intake for the day is anywhere between 30-40g and I couldn't be happier. I eat absolutely no bread or potatoes and believe it or not, but that food is not the best for your body. Your topic is called "Good" carbs, well these are not them. This is a great lifestyle for me and it's working.

Some of the "Good" carbs come from your dark green veggies, cauliflower, and cabbage. There is a wonderful Cauliflower rice that you can make or you can make mashed cauliflower. You would want to stay away from the bad carbs in carrots and corn. Also don't use vegetable oil, instead use Olive Oil. These are just a few of many things I've learned in the last 5 months. I'm here if you need anything!

Anyone that can eat 30 to 40g of carbs a day amazes me! I always go over on mine! I love bread!
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options

as others have stated oatmeal is a great slow digesting carb. i have it every morning :) just regular old fashioned oats.

others are veggies, sweet potatoes, Ezekiel bread, brown rice, unsalted rice cakes, flat out wraps-- these are the only ones you need.

For starters, it takes a long time to digest.
    Why eat white bread when you can have some kind of sprouted wheat, or grain bread?
    Seems like a waste when you can get all those great nutrients, that don't slow down your digestive system.
  • Acg67
    Options

For starters, it takes a long time to digest.
    Why eat white bread when you can have some kind of sprouted wheat, or grain bread?
    Seems like a waste when you can get all those great nutrients, that don't slow down your digestive system.

Quite possibly because things like brown rice and whole grains are worse then their white counterparts?
  • Krissie_Triaxis
    Options

Because they are generally over processed and most of the nutritional value is removed from them in production. Wholegrains retain most nutirtion because they are closest to the grain/starch in original form.

Usually for weightloss etc we always say keep it simple, for Carbs though the opposite is true, keep it complex ;)
  • alyssaguirguis
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are great for you. There are lots of veggies that are high(ish) in arbs but also vitamins and other healthy stuff. Some of hose are winter squash, carrots, parsnips, peas. Another way I end up getting a lot of my carbs these days is through beans and lentils. They have lots of fiber but other carbs also..but protein, nutrients and SO filling.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Because they are generally over processed and most of the nutritional value is removed from them in production. Wholegrains retain most nutirtion because they are closest to the grain/starch in original form.

Usually for weightloss etc we always say keep it simple, for Carbs though the opposite is true, keep it complex ;)

Again, so for weightloss if complex carbs were so great, we'd see that low GI diets were superior to high GI diets for weightloss, correct?
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hi peeps,

I keep on staying well below my Goal Carbs (+- 212) per day and I don't want to start eating bread to fill it up, I do however eat couscous from time to time.

Is there anything else I could try except pasta or potatoes?

Thanks!

Actually, pasta isn't exactly a good carb. Minimize your flour based carbs, pasta, breads.

Good carbs:
    - Rice
    - Sweet Potatoes
    - Red Potatoes
    - Berries
    - Ezekiel Bread (not 100% sure why but my nutritionist let's me eat a little of this)
    - Oats
    - Legumes

The white rice comment isn't entirely true.

Edit: A small amount of hi-GI carbs aren't bad immediately after lifting to help increase nutrient uptake into your muscles. Something like a small serving of Apple Sauce immediately following your workout.
  • bdub17
    bdub17 Posts: 9
    Options
    Dumbest comment I've read on MFP. Carb "type" has no impact on body composition. Its simply calorie-in/calorie-out
  • Acg67
    Options
    Hi peeps,

I keep on staying well below my Goal Carbs (+- 212) per day and I don't want to start eating bread to fill it up, I do however eat couscous from time to time.

Is there anything else I could try except pasta or potatoes?

Thanks!

Actually, pasta isn't exactly a good carb. Minimize your flour based carbs, pasta, breads.

Good carbs:
    - Rice
    - Sweet Potatoes
    - Red Potatoes
    - Berries
    - Ezekiel Bread (not 100% sure why but my nutritionist let's me eat a little of this)
    - Oats
    - Legumes

The white rice comment isn't entirely true.

Edit: A small amount of hi-GI carbs aren't bad immediately after lifting to help increase nutrient uptake into your muscles. Something like a small serving of Apple Sauce immediately following your workout.

What a bro tastic response
  • deveyous
    Options
    Best thing to do is not to eat more snacks to fill your calorie quota but to increase the portions that you have during meals.

That way your bodies matabolism can work to its best, aslong as your eating your meals roughly the same time each day.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying for me acg67.

daveyous:
    The Primary Laws of Nutrient Timing
    The First Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    The Second Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.

sorry to those who have just been eating "good carbs"
    http://www.alanaragon.com/elements-challenging-the-validity-of-the-glycemic-index.html
  • JakoRens
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the advise guys. I can definitely get something out of this thread to use... :smile:
  • FiremanSam111
    Options
    I stopped eating potatoes, and replaced them with kumara (sweet potato). They have a much lower GI, and have more fibre than potatoes. They taste good too :smile:
  • crewsicka
    crewsicka Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Eat some cardboard with peanut butter. Delish!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    GI - useless unless you have a medical reason to pay attention to it. I eat red potatoes all the time. I can get the cheap on sale and they are loaded with potassium.

Eat what carbs you like. I like potatoes, brown rice, white bread, and hot chocolate. Yumm
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    There are no good carbs. Bring it!
  • weightofyourskin
    Options
    I've heard from a lot of people that they felt much better health- and energy-wise after they reduced their daily intake of grain-based carbs. I know the plural of anecdote isn't data, but personally I wouldn't really worry about not being able to hit my target for carbs... I'm very happy on days when I manage to stay well below the figure that MFP gives me.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    There are no good carbs. Bring it!

I beg to differ. I ate biscuits earlier and they were very good :D