Craigslist Wedding Dress?

Options
fitniknik
fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
Let me just start off by saying, the idea of spending a ton of money on one day makes me feel ill. What are your thoughts on a previously used wedding dress?

For that matter, does anyone have any ideas on how to do a "budget friendly" wedding?(I still want to have the dance and the dinner and the family there)

I would really appreciate if there was no rude or insensitive comments on this thread. Thanks!

Replies

• CCSunlight
    CCSunlight Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I say go for it, as long as you still feel good in the dress. It's not about wearing the most expensive dress you can afford. Try The Knot's forums, a lot of times brides who have recently gotten married are selling things that they don't need anymore.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I have heard that somepeople rent their dress... I personally don't know if it is anything more than rumors but it could be true if you look into it.
  • Eve53
    Eve53 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I am all for going cheap on my wedding day! I don't think that it cheapens the sentiment at all. But it just goes to show that you're more concerned about saving for your future together than being showy on that one day. My idea for my wedding is an outdoor picnic of sorts, in a local park. If they have a pavilion you can still have the dancing and everything. There are a TOOON of websites about different ideas for DIY wedding decor. It's all so cute. My dream wedding is all DIY.

PS. I'm so for the frugal wedding that I told my boyfriend that I don't even want an engagement ring, I think it's an antiquated custom and spending all of that money on a ring is irresponsible. I'd rather he put that money towards something useful like a down payment on a place for us to live together.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I think it's a wonderful idea. My sister got married in 1991. I got married in 1993. I wore her dress. Even better, I gave her my old bridesmaid dress from her wedding, our other sister wore the bridesmaid dress she used for that wedding, and my best friend wore the bridesmaid dress she wore for her father's wedding the previous summer that just happened to have the same color and a very similar style.

My sister got divorced a few years later and for her 2nd wedding 11 years ago she rented a dress.
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I bought my dress and the thing didnt even get cleaned after......and it is still shoved in a bag in the back of the closet....LOL....it is YOUR day....dont add more stress by conforming....do what YOU want. Congrats!!!:)
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't mind it. I didn't go that route, but that's only because I got lucky and found a $600 dress that had a flaw, so I ended up paying $200 for the dress, the hoop slip, and a couple other accessories. I don't see anything wrong with a previously-loved wedding dress though. I would have looked for one of those if I hadn't gotten such a great deal.
  • ChristinelovesCraig
    Options
    I sell Wedding gowns and I think it is a great idea to buy a gown that was previously worn. As long as it fits, it's in great shape and the price is right, I'd say go for it. But, I wouldn't buy it sight unseen. I would try it on before you purchase it with the right undergarments on (long line strapless bra and a petticoat if needed. Loving a gown and loving that same gown on you are two totally different things.

Do you have copy of the link so I can see the gown and tell you what it is worth?

PM me and I can give you some hints and some feedback.

Christine
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    A lot of people do it. You can also rent one. Go for it!
  • Radiva
    Radiva Posts: 14
    Options
    i purchased my dress preowned as well; spending so much on a dress you will only wear for a few hours is crazy (in my opinion)
  • trdy77
    trdy77 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I bought my wedding dress on e bay for $150 (including shipping AND alterations). made our own invites, went to a floral warehouse (they usually have wedding packages) and we really lucked out on our photographer. we spent about $5000 on the entire day.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I think it is very smart that you would rather save your money for something a little more lasting.
    Are there any consignment stores in your area? I have never been married, but I have seen some gorgeous wedding dresses at consignment stores very reasonably priced. Craigslist is just a little scary to me. You would have to be in someone's home, undressed, to try the dress on. YIKES!
    My friend got married in the spring. She used the church gym for the reception - free and she got the tables and chairs for free. They also had white table cloths. We purchased massive amounts of red roses at the local warehouse club (Sam's) and made our own bouquets and flower arrangements. It was very simple, but looked very elegant, and didn't cost a lot.
  • dlsanderscott
    Options
    I bought my wedding dress off Ebay and was very pleased with the outcome. Spent much less than I would have on a brand new dress. Good luck and Congrats on the upcoming wedding. Also, for cost-cutting measures trying making your own flowers and decorations. That is what I did. We didn't have a huge ceremony, but it was a nice one.
  • stephevers1227
    stephevers1227 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I truly believe in recycling of all forms. We have freecycle here and I get a lot of stuff that way. We also go to goodwill and salvation army. My daughter is all excited to get these name brand jeans etc. and wants to brag about how cheap she gets them and i have to tell her not to tell her friends etc. She's like "why mom? it's just recycling" Love that girl!
  • cmoutarimoussa
    cmoutarimoussa Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I bought my dress and the thing didnt even get cleaned after......and it is still shoved in a bag in the back of the closet....LOL....it is YOUR day....dont add more stress by conforming....do what YOU want. Congrats!!!:)

My dress is the same way!!! LOL!!! exceot for i actually dont really know where it is!!! i say if you want to wear a used dress do it!!!! I kinda wish i had!!!!
  • jjclem07
    jjclem07 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I love watching Say Yes To The Dress, but I would never pay that much for a dress that usually, not always, is only going to be worn once. Most say but it is a day all about you and you should look your best. Whether you have a previously worn dress or a new one the day is going to be about you. No one needs to know that the dress was previously worn. All they will see is a beautiful bride.

Friends and family can help with food. (We did that for ours and it was better food then any other wedding I've been to).
    Family friend took pictures
    Friend of a friend did the cake.
    We got married in the same place as the reception.
    I made the flowers and arrangements. Mother made my dress. (Not what I wanted, but I can't have everything)
    Total cost was around 2,000

Been married for 12 years now.

Good Luck to you!
  • catfish9
    catfish9 Posts: 138
    Options
    It isn't about the dress, or the cake, or how much money you spend. It's about you and your significant other making a commitment to each other, and bringing together those closest to you to help celebrate your love. There's no shame in Craigslisting, in my opinion. Congraulations! :)
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it at all. Lots of people do it. It will still probably have to be altered to fit you perfectly. If you LOVE the dress who cares where it came from.

For a more cost effective wedding, look into places that do everything in one place. For example, when I got married in 2009, we did a small family & friends (about 100 people) at a local winery/restaurant. They had a beautiful outdoor setting and the officiant came to the place. Then everyone just stayed for dinner/reception catered by them too.
  • pixieakabigd
    Options
    We did our wedding for about €6000 in total. I bought my wedding dress in a charity store, bridesmaids dresses on sale, bought the grooms suits for cheap as was more expensive to hire; asked a friend to make the cake, another to drive us to the venue, another to dj, another to decorate the church (gave them €100 to go to local flower market) and we booked the venue last minute so got a very good deal. The engagement ring was actually just a normal sapphire ring so didn't cost half as much. As soon as you mention 'wedding', it's funny how things triple in price!
  • atiffany1
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with that.. If I wasn't so picky on exactly what I wanted i would buy a previously owned gown too. I am going the cheaper side of things and am only spending just over 600 on my dress. I would never spend thousands on a dress though like some women do.. There are losts of ways to save money on a wedding by doing a lot of things yourself.
  • ChristinelovesCraig
    Options
    The problem with renting one is having that "custom fit". You can't sew it to fit you perfectly. They will tape hem the dress and it will show wear and tear after time. There are some things that are worth saving money on but you will be looking at your pictures for the rest of your life and will want to love the way you looked on your wedding day. You can "cut the fat" on so many other things (invitations, limos, favors, cake, centerpieces, etc. ) but I think the gown, the DJ, the photographer and the food are the ones you and everyone else will remember the most.