Craigslist Wedding Dress?

Options

Replies

• WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    We ordered flowers from a grocery store and arranged them ourselves, had the ceremony and reception at the same place, and had our like make desserts instead of the caterers, no cake.
    Also, I'm selling my size 12 dress on kijiji if you're interested. $300, I paid $1000. Lol My one giant splurge before we made up the budget.
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I have heard that somepeople rent their dress... I personally don't know if it is anything more than rumors but it could be true if you look into it.

There is actually this place near my fiance's house that rents wedding dresses, MOB dresses, bridesmaids dresses, does alterations, etc...so something like that is also an option if you research for one near you...
  • TurtleCrush
    Options
    I did my wedding with $1000. That included renting tables, chairs, some food, party flavors, centerpieces, custom engraved wine glasses, my gown( $250 custom on ebay) , my husband's suit & shoes, and both of our engraved wedding bands (stainless steel @ walmart $29 each). Also if you plan on inviting family make it a potluck dinner where everyone brings a dish and that will save a bunch. I got married at my grandma's house because of the beautiful architecture but you could also rent a community center those are usually 200 or less. I also went to the bank to get my marriage (FREE) cerficate notorized and had a close friend do the ceremony (ALSO FREE).
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I didn't buy mine used, but I did sell mine through a resconsignment shop afterward, and was very happy that it could make another bride feel beautiful on her day! I completely agree about not spending a fortune on something you're going to wear for one day (or 1/2 a day), and doesn't a really fabulous dress deserve to dance for more than one night??? :wink:

I'd say go for it!

Another great thing we did was that my bridemaids bought off the rack black cocktail dresses that looked amazing on everyone, and they were all thrilled to have something that could totally be worn again without looking like a recycled bridesmaid. We had two flower girls and found amazing white dresses with black flower pattern after Easter at Macy's for about $28 each (dresses that were originally closer to $100).
  • madubil
    madubil Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I also hope no one gave you negative posts on this subject- buy the dress you like and fits your budget, If that means its from craigs list- or somewhere else- so be it. Its your day, your dress and your checkbook. I think its really smart for people to buy and sell their wedding dresses like this. My best friend spent 1800 on her dress- and she really couldnt afford that. I know she loved it- but will wear it only once- and will likely be paying it off for a very long long time- which is a shame.
  • KES519
    KES519 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I got my dress at David's Bridal, thinking it was going to cost me a fortune but I've always wanted to shop there and felt "who cares"! But in the end the first dress I picked out was "the one" and it only cost me $560! That included the preservation, yay!! Then I got the shoes for my bridal party at a local store in town and had them dyed. Was fairly cheap and looked great! We made most of the decorations and centerpieces, wasn't as time consuming as I thought it would be and we were able to put our personal touch on it. Plus having our reception at a local restaurant's banquet room was great, we didn't go with a "country club" or per say. (My last name is now Sullivan, so a little something special for everyone on the tables were little tins with skittles in them! They were so cute, since every piece had an "S" on it). Anything you do on your own that can put a little personal touch on the day will make it that much more special and won't cost you a fortune:) All in all, I THINK we spent about $5000 and that seems like a lot, but in comparison to some other people's weddings we've been to, I think we kept our budget small. By the way, we did not go on a honeymoon, decided to save for one on our 5th:) which is in 4 months!
  • smashatoms
    smashatoms Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Some people are really caught up in the whole grand idea of their wedding. Having a sensible wedding I feel, is the best way to start out a marriage. Imagine if those people had saved the 10 grand on their wedding that they spent-- they would have a great little savings started.

For a dress, look at bridesmaids dresses. They run cheaper and you can often add sashes, etc to them.
    You can also go for a used dress-- why not?! I don't see anything wrong with it.

Also, as far as cutting costs, I found that the most expensive part of my wedding was the meal. Maybe try and pick a time after dinner so that you don't have to serve an entire meal to all your guests. Instead have finger foods and cake. (I got married on the beach and someone after the fact told me they thought it would've been cool to have a cookout on the beach, etc. I thought that sounded great-- but it was a little too late! I had already been married for like 2 years at that point!)

Cheap centerpieces-- look into seeing if there is a Flower Factory in your area. They have a lot of things for this. My friend did cheap little bud vases with flowers for her centerpieces, and then had purchased picture frames from the dollar store and put photographs of her and her husband in them. I thought that was a beautiful, personal touch-- and it was really cheap.

Hope I helped!
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    What size are you? My friend was just married in Oct & we were just talking about what she was going to do with her dress. It was very pretty. Simple but elegant. She's about 5'2" and maybe a 12-14.
    PM if you want pix or info.
    Congratz on your day & heck yeah, save the money on things you can, it's crazy nuts the price of a wedding!

Oh yeah, also check E'bay for linens & candle holders. Thats what she did as well. She wanted elegant, but classy on a budget!
  • KES519
    KES519 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, we got our invites at A.C. Moore and printed them at home. For about 100 people, we only spent about $20 on them!
  • Lizajane42
    Lizajane42 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure you watch for the David's Bridal $100 dress sale. This is how I got my dress (my amazing Maid of Honor actually paid for it). You can really find some good stuff in this sale, and if they don't have your size, they will check other stores and have it shipped in.

My wedding, overall, was not super thrifty, but here are some of the budget friendly things I did.

*Made my own save the dates/ wedding invitations/ thank you cards- waited for the paper and ribbon to be half price at Hobby Lobby before buying anything. Ordered envelopes from Amazon.
    *I watched the bridal section at Hobby Lobby and waited for 50% off sales to get guest book, fake flower petals, etc.
    *Even though I had some alterations done by the store (added a corset back), my aunt did the last minute alterations for me to take in the top of the dress where I had lost weight since my fitting.
    *Checked with friends about borrowing veil and petticoat- I have one friend who skipped the petticoat under her dress and it looked fine without it. Depending on how picky you are, you can find some great deals on lightinthebox.com. Friends also recommended oncewed.com and 100layercake.com- I didn't end up looking at the last two at all though.
    *I made fun, quirky centerpieces instead of buying loads of vases and flowers and beads and whatnot.

There may have been other things- we got some awesome deals on things, so for the wedding we had it was cheap!
  • smashatoms
    smashatoms Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yes, David's Bridal! My friend got her dress from David's Bridal for $99. They have a yearly sale, but I cannot recall when it is.

Having your wedding and reception at the same place generally saves a bit of dough too.
  • nmerley
    nmerley Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I did a very budget friendly wedding(we got 4kids and I was laid off 6months before out wedding) and had the dance, meal, whole family and tons of friends. It is your day do what u want and who cares what others think. In the end if u do what u want and r happy so will everyone else. I got my dress and my bridesmaid dresses off ebay(spent like 100.00 on all 3) Did fake flowers and did em myself(hobby lobby 50% sale), made our own invites, prepared our own food(got food at sams club) and got friends to serve it. We had our weddin in the local park(free), had reception with dj at local bar(bar owner paid for dj cause we had bar open to public so it would bring her more business). The most expensive thing for us was prolly the beer we bought for everyone to drink while we got married. LOL We ended havin tons of people show up and we got married in 2009 and the whole town still talks about how much fun our wedding was. Do what u want its YOUR day noone elses!!! FYI my dress is still hangin in closet never worn since.
  • countrygirl_717
    Options
    I bought my wedding dress off of Craigslist. I got the dress of my dreams for 1/4 of the cost and the dress was in pristine condition. Great experience!
  • charmainecurrie
    Options
    you only wear if one day....go for it :)
  • jenhenning219
    jenhenning219 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Let me just start off by saying, the idea of spending a ton of money on one day makes me feel ill. What are your thoughts on a previously used wedding dress?

For that matter, does anyone have any ideas on how to do a "budget friendly" wedding?(I still want to have the dance and the dinner and the family there)

I would really appreciate if there was no rude or insensitive comments on this thread. Thanks!

try salvation army for a wedding dress, i know the one near me has a ton of them and i am sure they would be cheaper than craigslist
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I got a $1200 dress for $100 from the clearance section of a bridal store. It was an awesome dress. The first one I looked at. Alterations were another $100 maybe. You can totally do this. Our wedding was in my sister-in-law's beautiful backyard and she catered it. We found a JP online who came to the house.
  • mummy_gerdes
    mummy_gerdes Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    forgot to add - why dont you make your own cake? i had my grandma make the fruit cake and then we made 50 sponge and 50 fruit cupcakes bought all the icing and decorations from lawsons (uk) and decorated it our selves it looked amazing and people got to eat what they wanted to!
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    my wedding was in august and my husband and i paid for it ourselves, so we did it very much on the cheap -- i got my dress from david's (it was a discontinued style), so it was cheaper than the same kind of dress in a current style. i've also heard that going to bridal shows and buying a dress displayed there is way cheaper (a friend of mine did this!) and her dress was GORGEOUS.

...our photographer was just starting her business, so her prices were way lower than anyone else in the area and she gave us all the rights to her photographs ... we just had to write a testimonial! to save a little more, we didn't have dinner but had appetizers and desserts --a cake, cookie table, and candy table.

I picked up a discontinued dress at David's as well. It was almost $500 and I picked it up for less than that. :) Beware of buying a dress from one of those places that makes replicas, overseas...

I also had a friend who is starting a photography business. I LOVE her work and made a deal with her. She took the pictures and gets to use them on her site. I got a great deal on the prints - less than what she charges other people. My pictures are AMAZING.

We had a really limited budget. Over the course of a year, we put together about $6000. We followed the rule that if we couldn't pay for it, it didn't happen. We were able to do a small sit-down brunch just for family (35 ppl) at a resort (family member is the catering manager there, so we were thankful to get a HUGE discount) and then we did a BBQ style wedding at the Legion Hall for about 150 people. People told us that the BBQ buffet-style wedding was a LOT of fun. Having two events was the only way we could afford to invite everyone.

If you have cool friends and family who can help you instead of buying you a gift, don't be afraid to ask for help.

Other ways I saved:
    Champagne toast: We did sparkling cider instead. I just explained that several famly members didn't drink (which they don't) and that I wanted them to feel comfortable. Sparkling juice is usually less expensive (and tastes better, if you ask me...)

Cake - The Shoprite by me has an AMAZING buttercream frosting. We got three full sheet cakes (Bavarian cream, Chocolate Pudding, and Strawberry Shortcake) for about $150 total. We didn't have anything written on the cake. We just had them put a LOT of flowers on them. (I'm gluten-free and had a friend (who is also a chef) bake "my" cake as her gift to me.)

Flowers - Shoprite to the rescue again. The floral department in our store is AMAZING. We got 8 single roses for the dads and groomsmen, three wrapped stem carnation bouquets (with blue accents) for my bridesmaids, 4 wrist corsages with 2 roses each, a dozen wrapped stem roses for the BBQ ceremony, and a cascading bouquet with mostly heat-resistant flowers (ivy, carnations, daisies, baby's breath). Looking at the pictures, you can't even see that there isn't a single rose in the cascade, other than the fact that nothing wilted. We got ALL of the flowers mentioned for $200 plus tax.

Flowers, part 2: Initially, I was going to do silk flowers, but I got pushback from family. My response was that if someone felt that I needed to have something, that I would if they were willing to help with the cost. (B*tchy? Not intentionally. Effective? YES.) I did go with artificial flowers for the tables at the smaller wedding (and bulk crayons in small pails/ paper on the table for the big one). Check the website for the craft store. Most of them have a coupon for 40% off one item. Get a girlfriend or two, print out a coupon for each. (Or print 2 each and go into the store again) It might take you a few trips, but it's 40% off your flowers.... Or centerpieces...

Shoes: Instead of buying into the myth that I needed to get white satin dyeables, I went to the outlet shops and picked up a pair of white leather strap sandals. They're wedges with a cork heel (my dress covered the heel) and they're a brand that usually buy anyway. They're incredibly comfortable, fashionable, and I wore them for several months after the wedding. I shop the clearance racks, so I think they ended up costing me $45? (Clark's - They usually start at $65 if you don't buy clearance.) I couldn't find dyeables for less than $60 and all of the pretty ones that I found were $80 and up. Dyeables seem to pick up grass and other stains, aren't as comfy, and usually don't get worn again. My sandals are coming out again in the summer. :)

Freecycle: If you haven't already checked it out, consider taking a look and posting what you're looking for. It's like Craig's List, but everything HAS TO be free. (Use the same caution about meeting people, of course...)

Using my local freecycle group, I found my veil and vases for my centerpieces, plus a few other items. When I was done, I used Freecycle to get rid of extra decorations...

Favors: For the small wedding, we hit the dollar store and got these HUGE glass rootbeer float mugs and put two of the straight stick blueberry candycanes (the old fashioned ones) in and tied them with blue ribbon. My mom found see-through fabric draw string bags and we put the glasses in the bags. For the big wedding, we ordered custom labels for playing cards in plastic boxes. We had to put the labels on ourselves, but the cards came out to less than a dollar a pack. Playing cards = more useful than a single candle holder that doesn't match anything.

Like I said, if you'd like more info on other ways that I saved (especially with the BBQ part, send me a private message. I'd be glad to share. :)
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    If you love the dress, go for it!!

We are doing our wedding AND a Hawaiian honeymoon for about $5500.

My mom bought my dress (I just have to pay for alterations) Even with her buying it, I found one that was being discontinued so it was on clearance so it was 1/2 price.

We have found a cheap site for invitations (I've had friends tell me they regretted spending so much on invitations cause they end up in the trash) I found a style that fits our wedding and is really cute and won't break the bank. We did the "save the dates" online and sent out emails. For people that don' t have email we texted or called. We have decided against RSVP cards. Instead we are including our wedding website address that gives people a place to RSVP online. A lot of married friends said they were a waste of money on RSVP cards and postage because hardly anyone returns them. People just assume you "know they'll be there" :noway:

We are ordering the flowers online wholesale and my bridesmaids and I are putting together the centerpieces and bouquets.

Most of the decorations are DIY. What I don't make I have been finding at garage sales and estate sales and have even found some amazing stuff on "recycle your wedding" blogs and sites. The favors are real simple and inexpensive.

Instead of cake, I am having family and friends make pies and cupcakes. :love:

We are doing our wedding and reception in one place to save money. (the venue is amazing and very affordable. We lucked out in finding everything we wanted in one place for 1/3 of the price of other venues)

A friend of my fiances is in a band so they are going to learn some of my "must have" songs and play for $100 plus beer. :laugh: And we are making some mixed cd's to play while they are on break to through some dance music in.

Our biggest expense wedding wise is the photographer. But to me, that is worth it because we will only have the pictures once it is all said and done.

For all that have the disc from their photographers. Find a nice site to print your photos. It'll be so worth it to spend a little bit more on prints from a place like mpix.com or other sites than ordering from Walmart or Walgreens...trust me!

All in all, it is your day, do what you want! :drinker:
  • mp13cat
    mp13cat Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I bought my dress and the thing didnt even get cleaned after......and it is still shoved in a bag in the back of the closet....LOL....it is YOUR day....dont add more stress by conforming....do what YOU want. Congrats!!!:)

^ Ditto