How do we feel about Crossfit?

Options
I'm seriously considering this... Would love to hear from those who have done it. Thanks! :)

Amy

Replies

• jasonmeurer
    jasonmeurer Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I know a couple of trainers at different CrossFit gyms but frankly that lack of emphasis on proper form with heavy weight coupled with speed scares the cr@p out of me. Having spent time with certified trainers playing college sports, I have a great respect for how seriously hurt you can get during training.

They are in tremendous shape, there is no discounting that....but for me, the fear of injury is too great.
  • PokenStick
    Options
    I agree with the above. It can be especially bad for beginers because you don't have the correct foundation and from my experience with crossfit they push you to advance quickly and go beyond what is safe.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    It's great if you need some new variety and are an experienced person in exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I do CrossFit and started as a complete beginner. At my box there is a lot of stress and focus on correct form.

If the trainers are any good, they pay attention to this and if you're not doing things correctly they should be stopping you and correcting what you're doing. If you're doing fine with low weight but not at higher weight, they should be recommending that you move to a lower weight. They should be able to scale anything to your skill level.

Before we start any WOD, our trainers go over every move, even if it's one we've done a hundred times before. They make us demonstrate we can do it, and do it at the weight we've selected for the WOD.

No, not every box is like this, but I think they should be. I recommend going in and seeing what the box is like and how good the trainers are. If you have any issues (bad knees, weak shoulders, etc.) let the trainers know right away.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I would be very cautious about getting involved with Crossfit. I have some friends that were in good shape and got injured doing some crazy stunts they make you do in Crossfit classes. They are marathon runners, and they were not able to participate in races they really wanted to run on account of Crossfit injuries. They signed up because of some kind of a coupon deal, and had hospital bills much higher than any money they might have saved by trying Crossfit instead of continuing to pay a personal trainer. Needless to say, they are through with Crossfit and would not recommend it to anyone.

Beyond that, here are some excellent articles on the subject:

Getting Fit, Even If It Kills You

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all/NYTArticle.pdf

Extreme Exercise: CrossFit Pushes the Body, Sometimes With Dangerous Results

http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/health/2009/june/Extreme-Exercise--CrossFit-Pushes-the-Body--Sometimes-With-Dangerous-Results.html

Inside The Cult of Crossfit

http://fitbie.msn.com/get-fitter/inside-cult-crossfit/page/2
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I know this topic will draw blood...

Popcorn-03-Scarlett-Johanssen.gif
  • SickofBeingChub
    Options
    Been doing crossfit for years.. its unbelievable the things you can do once you start this type of workout. I went from the couch to Tough Mudder in 5 months! Now i do all types of extreme races!!

Dont waste another day!! SIGN UP!

-Ashley
    (www.sickofbeingchub.com)
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    At cross fit you get good at nothing, You get strong but never strong enough to win a powerlifting competition, you have great cardio, but never enough to win a marathon. You get lean but never cut enough to win a body building competition.
  • SickofBeingChub
    Options
    There is a reason why no one at Crossfit becomes a powerlifter, no one is trying. Of course you cant just do one specific type of workout to become an elite powerliter or runner, so your comments are completly irrelevant.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    At cross fit you get good at nothing, You get strong but never strong enough to win a powerlifting competition, you have great cardio, but never enough to win a marathon. You get lean but never cut enough to win a body building competition.

What? Who says winning a powerlifting comp, a marathon or a bodybuilding comp was the end all goal? How about real life? How about being faster, stronger, for longer accross the board?
  • addisondisease
    Options
    There is a reason why no one at Crossfit becomes a powerlifter, no one is trying. Of course you cant just do one specific type of workout to become an elite powerlifter or runner, so your comments are completely irrelevant.

At crossfit people do get in shape and improve, but if you goal is to be a power lifter, marathon runner, body builder, things that are very specific in training, cross fit would be detrimental to your training. If someone has a 700lb dead-lift doing cross fit will not make them any stronger. If someone is 245lbs 8% body fat cross fit isn't going to help them get more defined.

Crossfit is fine IF you don't have sport specific goals.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    There is a reason why no one at Crossfit becomes a powerlifter, no one is trying. Of course you cant just do one specific type of workout to become an elite powerlifter or runner, so your comments are completely irrelevant.

At crossfit people do get in shape and improve, but if you goal is to be a power lifter, marathon runner, body builder, things that are very specific in training, cross fit would be detrimental to your training. If someone has a 700lb dead-lift doing cross fit will not make them any stronger. If someone is 245lbs 8% body fat cross fit isn't going to help them get more defined.

"At cross fit you get good at nothing"

I have a big problem with this statement.

Many, many atheletes do cross training to improve their skills in their respective sport. You know all the sports OTHER than BB, PL and marathoning?
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it's going to depend on the particular Crossfit gym you go to. A lot of Crossfit places have some bad practices of not emphasizing proper form. However, some do.

Saw some videos of complete beginners to Continental Presses with weight that was obviously too much for them. That scared me away from the idea of Crossfit (that and the price of the Crossfit gyms). I don't feel like messing up my spine again.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I'm seriously considering this... Would love to hear from those who have done it. Thanks! :)

Amy

You don't necessarily have to join cross fit to do many of the exercises.
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    If you're considering it, go to Crossfit Forums...look for the forum marked WOD, at the top is a sticky of comprehensive list body weight workouts...give some a try...if you need to know how to do some of the exercises the main site has video tutorials for proper form from world renowned strength coaches.
    I personally believe something should be rated by the best evaluator....YOU!!!!
    If you like it then keep doing it, if not then stop doing it.
    pretty simple...P90 isnt for everybody, Insanity isnt for everybody, pushups arent for everybody....
    Forget about everybody..its all about you and what you like to do....just find something and do it, but try it first, dont read about it, try it....it's the only way youll know if you like it
  • addisondisease
    Options

Many, many atheletes do cross training to improve their skills in their respective sport. You know all the sports OTHER than BB, PL and marathoning?

I gave those three as examples in specific forms of fitness. I'm sure you would agree that cross fit teaches balance in all the aspects of fitness, cardio, strength, speed, balance, diet etc etc. But for someone who having that balance means giving up on being the strongest, the fastest, the most cut, it is simply not worth it, and unadvised. I am agreeing with you that yes it is beneficial to many beginners, and intermediates, but not to someone who wants to be at the expert level.

OP gave no stats, and no goals. Hey maybe she boasts a 405 dead-lift and wanting to add another 50lbs by summer. In this case would you recommend cross fit?
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

I gave those three as examples in specific forms of fitness. I'm sure you would agree that cross fit teaches balance in all the aspects of fitness, cardio, strength, speed, balance, diet etc etc. But for someone who having that balance means giving up on being the strongest, the fastest, the most cut, it is simply not worth it, and unadvised. I am agreeing with you that yes it is beneficial to many beginners, and intermediates, but not to someone who wants to be at the expert level.

OP gave no stats, and no goals. Hey maybe she boasts a 405 dead-lift and wanting to add another 50lbs by summer. In this case would you recommend cross fit?

I'll just point out that the OP said she was seriously considering CrossFit and asked the opinions of people who have tried CrossFit. I'm not sure that most people posting on this thread about CrossFit in a negative way have ever done it themselves. *Shrug* I have done CrossFit, as a beginner (never done exercise of any sort before going to CrossFit style boot camp and then to true CrossFit) and I've been doing it over a year now. I've never received any sort of injury. I've dropped 44lbs. I've lost several inches. I'm much more fit and much stronger than I ever thought I would be. Maybe I'm not anywhere near running a marathon; maybe I'll never win a beauty pageant.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

If that was her goal, wouldn't she be asking about powerlifting?
  • addisondisease
    Options

I'll just point out that the OP said she was seriously considering CrossFit and asked the opinions of people who have tried CrossFit. I'm not sure that most people posting on this thread about CrossFit in a negative way have ever done it themselves. *Shrug* I have done CrossFit, as a beginner (never done exercise of any sort before going to CrossFit style boot camp and then to true CrossFit) and I've been doing it over a year now. I've never received any sort of injury. I've dropped 44lbs. I've lost several inches. I'm much more fit and much stronger than I ever thought I would be. Maybe I'm not anywhere near running a marathon; maybe I'll never win a beauty pageant.

Thank you my point exactly, cross fit great for beginners, they can do well and even not get hurt if they use correct form, its a program that gets women to lift weight above their heads (that really can be hard thing to get women to do no offense), and it creates a great foundation to build upon. If that is what OP wants, she can get it from cross fit and many other routines. If OP is already 3 years into her program and has a 4 second mile then no cross fit wouldn't be good for her.
  • addisondisease
    Options

If that was her goal, wouldn't she be asking about powerlifting?

I am just saying that with the little information we've been given its hard to tell if cross fit is the right program for her.