So what am I doing wrong?

Options
I completed my first full week of sticking to my calorie intake and exercising, and I didn't lose anything (I'm set at 2lbs a week). In fact, I gained .2lbs. What did I do wrong, and what can I do to fix it? My diary is open. Thank you!

Replies

• TiffaniBarrett
    TiffaniBarrett Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hi!

What are the exercises that you are doing?

Tiffani x
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    First of all, it has only been a week, so patience is key.

However, you may want to rethink your goal. It is normally recommended to set your goal to lose 1 lb per week and eat as many of your exercise calories as possible. It also looks like you are breastfeeding, so I would definitely recommend eating more.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I didn't see much weight loss until about 3 weeks into it. My first indication was not even a number on a scale, but the way my jeans fit! Stick with it, you aren't doing anything wrong if you follow the guidelines - just give it a little time :)
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 30 Day Shred, and also throwing in extra exercise some days (but not all because of lack of time with the kiddo). The extra exercise ranges from walking outside (on warm days) to Zumba on the Wii.
  • Virginia90
    Options

However, you may want to rethink your goal. It is normally recommended to set your goal to lose 1 lb per week and eat as many of your exercise calories as possible. It also looks like you are breastfeeding, so I would definitely recommend eating more.

I have almost 100 pounds to lose though - I thought it was okay to have my goal set at 2lbs until I reach about 75lbs to lose? Then move it down a little?
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I saw in your diary that you've lost great inches from the shred! Ignore the scale. When you lose inches but not weight that means you're replacing fat with muscle, so don't worry about it!
  • CaylaJune
    Options
    What foods are you eating? I used to work out and count my calories, without seeing results. Then I realized that it was WHAT I was eating that was the problem.

I'm 11 days away from giving birth (hopefully less, but that's my due date) and a few years before I got pregnant, I lost a ton of weight by cutting out grains and sugars.
  • chmiddleton
    chmiddleton Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It could just be water retention due to hormone fluctuations. I weighed 1.5 heavier this morning than yesterday. I know I didn't gain 1.5 pounds over night. Give it time, and stay off the scales for a while. :) Good luck!
  • Virginia90
    Options
    I saw in your diary that you've lost great inches from the shred! Ignore the scale. When you lose inches but not weight that means you're replacing fat with muscle, so don't worry about it!

I'm so paranoid that I measured wrong though. :ohwell:
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    From reading your diary and the notes.. you have lost inches so your on the right path.. and FYI low sodium soya sauce is no better.. I ditched the soya sauce completely and add pineapple sauce to my rice.. you should add sodium into your diary so you can track it as well!!
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking truck loads of water and watching your sodium as well as calories?
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    it took me several weeks of doing cardio 3, 4xs a week. staying under my calories to see some results.. I was going to give up and I did give up several times before I started MFP. But with the motivation and support I got I stuck it out and started weighing in 1x a week and I finally started showing results. Soo moral of the story don't give up keep doing what your doing and you will defianatly see resutls. And only weigh in the morning after you go to bathroom. before you eat or drink anything. And with less clothes on and possible. lol
    GOOOD LUCk! !! ! !
  • Virginia90
    Options
    What foods are you eating? I used to work out and count my calories, without seeing results. Then I realized that it was WHAT I was eating that was the problem.

I'm 11 days away from giving birth (hopefully less, but that's my due date) and a few years before I got pregnant, I lost a ton of weight by cutting out grains and sugars.

My diary is open. :smile: I eat a wide variety of stuff.
  • hbiffle
    hbiffle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem until I started eating more! I know it sounds crazy but before I wouldn't eat back my workout calories and this past week I started to eat back a good majority of them which really helped because I was never "starving" and I ended up losing more weight! Everyone is different, so the first few weeks just try different things and see which one you have the most success with and then go from there. Good luck!!!
  • atiffany1
    Options

Yeppers!! I lost 8 lbs and then I went about two weeks with out losing any weight and the only indication that things were still going smoothly was losing an inch in my waist, and an inch off both of my thighs.
  • Vhovell
    Vhovell Posts: 286
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else says...give it time, things don't just happen over night. Also, try and net 1200 calories that's what's worked for me

Good luck, stay positive and you will see the results you want
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

I have almost 100 pounds to lose though - I thought it was okay to have my goal set at 2lbs until I reach about 75lbs to lose? Then move it down a little?

True, but since you are breastfeeding, I really don't think it's a good idea to cut calories so much.

Also, you do not really gain muscle from 30DS, and not in such a short amount of time. Losing inches is great, but that does not mean you have replaced fat with muscle.
  • shawae
    shawae Posts: 1
    Options
    Depends what exercise you are doing! You may find that taking your measurements is more motivating as some exercises will add muscle which is heavier than fat! I love to run but my legs bulk up like a rugby players! Waist gets smaller though so its not all bad?
  • Virginia90
    Options
    Okay...I'm glad to hear it took a few weeks for some people. My sodium intake was high most day - I'm working on getting mos tof the processed foods outta the house, but have to do it slowly money-wise.
  • eventing07
    Options
    I've been at this for 5 weeks and haven't lost a pound. However I have lost 15 inches, 6% body fat, and gained 13lbs of muscle. It's hard not seeing a change in the scale but when you are exercising you put on muscle weight; which is 2x heavier than fat. My nutritionist and trainer both tell me to ignore the scale right now and measurements do not lie!