So what am I doing wrong?

Options

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Most likely you did lose some fat, but when starting a new program your muscles will store water to protect them and to aid in recovery. Drink plenty of water and stick with is and in a week or so your body will shed that excess water.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 30 Day Shred, and also throwing in extra exercise some days (but not all because of lack of time with the kiddo). The extra exercise ranges from walking outside (on warm days) to Zumba on the Wii.

you are doing TOO MUCH exercise. I know a lot of folks jump into the journey full on....but, first, there's no need to exercise this much to burn fat (even once you're fit)...and second, working out too much can be harmful. Eating right is the most important thing to burning fat. Exercise is great for cardio health and other things...and burning those extra calories will allow you to eat more and still burn fat....BUT, if you exercise, you have to accept some things: (a) your muscles will retain more water while they are recovering so that adds "scale weight"; and (b) your muscles need TIME to recover and repair themselves...this cannot happen if you are exercising the same muscles every day or otherwise overworking your muscles.

I didn't exercise during the first 2+ months of my journey and I lost weight. I wanted to get my eating in order first and lose some weight before beginning exercise. I then worked into an exercise program. I didn't work out every day and I certainly didn't work out twice a day. Now, nearly 12 months into my journey, I do some pretty exciting and intense exercise routines...but I still don't work out every day and I do not work out more than once a day. Sometimes I work out only 3x a week and I don't sweat that. Most weeks I work out 4 or 5x a week. What matters is that I'm working out hard during the time I do exercise and I accept that my muscles need time to recover in between. I love exercise, but I want to be smart about it.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    There could be a number of reasons. Water retention from exercising. I didnt look at your calorie intake but sodium intake or you might not be eating enough. Give your body time to adjust to your new routine and lifestyle. It will come off, be patient. The extra lbs for all of us didnt come over night and magically appear, they will not magically disappear either. It is a process and and refinement. Do not get discouraged. I hate that scale, I wouldnt even weigh for the first month.
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    First of all, it has only been a week, so patience is key.

However, you may want to rethink your goal. It is normally recommended to set your goal to lose 1 lb per week and eat as many of your exercise calories as possible. It also looks like you are breastfeeding, so I would definitely recommend eating more.

I have almost 100 pounds to lose though - I thought it was okay to have my goal set at 2lbs until I reach about 75lbs to lose? Then move it down a little?

True, but since you are breastfeeding, I really don't think it's a good idea to cut calories so much.

Also, you do not really gain muscle from 30DS, and not in such a short amount of time. Losing inches is great, but that does not mean you have replaced fat with muscle.

I'm not worried about the breastfeeding - it's definitely minimal - she only BFs before naps and bedtime and once at night, so I doubt I'm even using 200 calories for that (which I'm accounting for), and my lactation consultant said it was okay and to just keep an eye on my supply with my decreased calorie intake - so far I haven't had a change in supply so it's all good in that area.
  • atiffany1
    Options
    Oh and watch your protein intake, if you eat too much with out using it, it turns into fat.. Athletes who exersize a lot can eat a lot of protein and it gives them the energy they need to do so much physical activity, but these are people that put hours into physical activity which allows them to eat a lot of protien. I know you are doing 30 day shred and some other things but watch your protien intake because you might not be using it all. Drink lots of water and eat lots of veggies. The more water you drink the less water retension you will have.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    It takes me about 3 weeks to start seeing results. If a month goes by and you've still not lost anything, then review and revise your plan.

Did you take measurements? It's always a good idea to keep track of that as well. If you got slimmer but the scale stayed the same, you'd be happy, right?

Hang in there! :flowerforyou:
  • Virginia90
    Options
    I didn't know that about my muscles retaining water - good to know! And I also didn't know it was bad to workout more than once a day - I've been doing it because it feels good - my body apparently likes to be moving. :laugh: I will cut back on the extra exercise for now.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Oh and watch your protein intake, if you eat too much with out using it, it turns into fat.. Athletes who exersize a lot can eat a lot of protein and it gives them the energy they need to do so much physical activity, but these are people that put hours into physical activity which allows them to eat a lot of protien. I know you are doing 30 day shred and some other things but watch your protien intake because you might not be using it all. Drink lots of water and eat lots of veggies. The more water you drink the less water retension you will have.

What are you talking about. No nutrient, even fat, will turn into body fat unless you are in a caloric surplus. If you chose to lose weight on MFP you are in a deficit and don't have to worry about gaining fat.

On top of that, your body actually burns more calories digesting protein than any other macro, so more protein is good for this reason and it keeps you full longer. MFP has low protein guidlines 15% of total calories, a balanced diet can consist of up to 30% (double MFP's recommendation) and may people eat even more than that. Protein is very important while dieting as when in a caloric deficit you will lose some muscle, protein helps you retain more of it then you would otherwise.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    If you are breastfeeding, that may play a role. Hormones make everything complicated. Some people swear their weight melted off with nursing but NOT ME! Good for you. Good for your baby. Good job, Mama!

I like the advice of staying patient and measuring yourself - inches loss doesn't necessarily mean pounds loss.

Also, I don't think 2 lb/week goal is too much for you. It looks like you want to lose 50+ lbs - totally acceptable!

I would also recommend that you eat those exercise calories. I know you plugged in your goals at the start, but MFP still treats you like your sedentary until you prove it wrong.

You can do this! Good Luck!
  • Virginia90
    Options
    So...protein...is extra good or bad? =/
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    My first week I did everything right. Modified my diet, hit the treadmill, drank more water, you name it. I gained 5 pounds. Who'd a thunk it!!! Truth was, it was all good gain. I was so terribly out of shape that those 5 pounds were all muscle being added. Over the next few weeks, I started dropping, and kept dropping for a nice long time.

Patience, grasshopper. Panic now, and you risk losing the momentum you have. Just keep up the good work with your exercise and quality food intake, and pretty soon you'll be looking back at this little moment in time and having a happy chuckle over it.

Doing the right things for/with your body isn't exactly what your body's used to. Your brain says time to change, but your body says Really? I kinda like the old way...

Keep up the good work! You're doing better than you're giving yourself credit.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Set your diary to track sodium intake too. It can really play hell with water retention if you're going over and its a mistake MANY of us make in the beginning.

Be patient...you WILL lose if you stick with it. Good luck, and keep at it!
  • erickirb
    Options

I did not know that either! I've been eating lots of protein because I thought extra is better for my muscles! I will cut back a little on the protein!

Keep eating more, don't listen to this comment, it is way off base and not based on sound knowledge. If you don't eat a lot of protein while in a caloric deficit you will lose muscle.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    I completed my first full week of sticking to my calorie intake and exercising, and I didn't lose anything (I'm set at 2lbs a week). In fact, I gained .2lbs. What did I do wrong, and what can I do to fix it? My diary is open. Thank you!
    Water weight from exercising. Normal if you're new or restarting it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • hairdidkris
    Options
    If you are putting on muscle, you would be adding weight since muscle weighs more than fat. You should stick to cardio in the beginning. Also, how many carbs are you doing in a day?
  • yesiwillbeloosingit
    Options
    I think these posts sometimes can be really confusing, and you should take a step back from it and listen to your body. Don't cut back on the exercise if it is not making you feel ill or anything.

Also as some others say - you are 1 week in - give it some time and you will see results. From what I can see from your diary you are eating a good wide range of food and you - which is great .. Keep going and dont forget that sometimes its better to forget about the number on the scale and use cloths to notice the changes :)

GL with everything :)
  • erickirb
    Options
    So...protein...is extra good or bad? =/

Good, very very good. I would suggest eating 20-30% of your total calories from protein. MFP sets you at 15%, if you don't want to change this, use it as a guideline for minimum intake.
  • wilma6308
    Options
    I personally do not like to weigh myself every day because your weight can fluctuate soo much! Try weighing yourself every 2 weeks or even every week so you don't see those numbers going up and down so often. I normally do not weigh myself until the end of the month. If you can feel a difference in the way your clothes are fitting and know you are eating healthier and working out regularly then it shouldn't matter what the scale shows. Keep a positive attitude and the weight will start falling off! :smile:
  • erickirb
    Options
    If you are putting on muscle, you would be adding weight since muscle weighs more than fat. You should stick to cardio in the beginning. Also, how many carbs are you doing in a day?

she would not be gaining muscle in 1 week. Water in muscles yes, muscle itself, no.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Protein doesn't turn into fat. The way your body puts on fat is that it takes in more calories than it burns. All calories are equal to your body. It doesn't matter if those calories come from protein, fat, or carbohydrates. If there are too many calories then your body will store them as fat.

As others said too..you aren't going to be "gaining muscle' in just one week, so be careful about the advice people throw around on here, and research anything that doesn't sound feasible. I'm not claiming to be an expert either, but there's a WHOLE LOT of misinformation being passed along on this site!